WOW, what a difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 4R70W/4R75W use a media filter...I can't say for sure about the 4R100, but it looks like a media filter in the picture on the NAPA website...

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
UPDATE.

So, the shift "weirdness" came back eventually. Drained the fluid today (6L), and filled with 6L of M1 ATF.

The fluid that came out had an orange tinge to it. ZERO metal on the drain plug though.

I want to eventually do the "running flush" to get all of the fluid out, but this method is so quick and easy........

Sounds like you need to do a full fluid exchange. Got any buddies at the dealer?

I did my 99 Expedition a couple of months ago with the 4R100 deep pan,it uses a screen.
The oil return from the cooler is connected with rubber hose with a spring clamp making a line off easy.I used Amsoil,if i remember correctly it took almost 20 qts.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I did my 99 Expedition a couple of months ago with the 4R100 deep pan,it uses a screen.
The oil return from the cooler is connected with rubber hose with a spring clamp making a line off easy.I used Amsoil,if i remember correctly it took almost 20 qts.

Yeah, IIRC, it holds 18L.

Originally Posted By: cornfused
So did you loose faith in the mercon v ?

Also why do you choose M1 over amsoil? just curious.

Not that I lost faith per se, but that the issue reoccurred. I also feel that the M1 fluid is superior to the Conoco product supplied by Ford, but I imagine both are more than adequate.

The Mobil 1 ATF is less expensive than Amsoil, and is also approved by Alison, so you know it has been well-tested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I lost faith per se, but that the issue reoccurred. I also feel that the M1 fluid is superior to the Conoco product supplied by Ford, but I imagine both are more than adequate.

The new black bottles look like Chevron bottles to me.
21.gif
The old red bottles were definitely Conoco though.

Motorcraft Merc V seems to have nicer specs than M1 ATF too.
21.gif

I dunno, my power steering started to get funky last week, wheel was harder to turn when cold, and the pump was getting loud again. Its had Mercon V in it for the last few months. Full flush.

Swapped it out for some M1 ATF (my favourite choice for Ford PS pumps) and it is now completely quiet again and the steering effort is perfect again.

The tranny seems to shift "firmer" with the M1 ATF, but I think that's expected, because it isn't an Mercon V fluid, and subsequently doesn't have, or have as many FM's in it.

Regardless, the vehicle is now behaving correctly with the M1 fluid, so we'll see how long it holds up for.

So, just to update this thread. The converter not unlocking when going into 2nd (which is what I've narrowed it down to be) had come back.

I AGAIN dumped the fluid and put in 6L of Mercon V (the other half of the case I bought) and noticed an immediate improvement; it started unlocking again.

Drove it for about two weeks, then today, dumped it AGAIN, put another 6L of Mercon V in it and it seems even better.

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the tranny likes Mercon V more than it does the (non Mercon V) Mobil 1 fluid.

To elaborate on the issue, the shift pattern of the truck, under moderate acceleration is this:

Converter unlocked---->Accelerate to over 4,000RPM---->Lock Converter---->Accelerate to over 4,000RPM---->Unlock converter as it goes into 2nd gear---->Accelerate to over 4,000RPM---->Lock Converter.....etc. It does this through all 4 gears.

Now the PROBLEM was that ONLY going into 2nd gear, it would sometimes NOT unlock the converter. This caused a rather large drop in RPM and dragged the engine out of its power-band. Where it would then labour back up INTO its power-band and resume (correctly) through the rest of the gears, or until I let off the pedal.

This occurrence seemed more frequent with the M1 fluid in there. As I continue to add Mercon V, it seems to be disappearing (hopefully completely).

I have no idea what the cause is. No codes or anything, tranny shifts fine otherwise, and this ONLY happens when you go to do some rather hard acceleration.

I will notify as to whether this has fixed it permanently or not......

Mr. Overkill, I hope they don't execute threadjackers here, but what ATF do you run in your Town Car? I have an '88 and was thinking about the Mercon V. I'd love to know what you think.

Originally Posted By: Ike_Clanton
Mr. Overkill, I hope they don't execute threadjackers here, but what ATF do you run in your Town Car? I have an '88 and was thinking about the Mercon V. I'd love to know what you think.

Towny has M1 ATF in it (non Mercon V).

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the tranny likes Mercon V more than it does the (non Mercon V) Mobil 1 fluid.

I guess this proves you can't use Mobil 1 ATF in everything.

Originally Posted By: sunfire

I guess this proves you can't use Mobil 1 ATF in everything.

It would appear that Mercon V may simply be "better" for this application than a universal ATF.

I put in the Mercon V version of Lubeguard today to see if it would help. It cured the problem almost immediately. To say I was shocked would be a gross understatement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back