WOW, what a difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Dumped the pan and filled with Motorcraft Mercon V (black bottle) today in the Expedition.

Vehicle is a 2002 with the 5.4L, and 4R100 transmission.

Shift firmness impact was substantial. Shifting is MUCH smoother. I don't know if this is a good thing in a transmission that does full-power upshifts into all 4 gears but it feels nice
grin2.gif

I can no longer feel the downshifts. I could always feel it shift down into first as I came to a full stop. Not now.

Converter lock/unlock as the truck up-shifts is now smoother and seemingly quicker as well.

I am VERY surprised.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
What fluid was in there before, and how long was it in there?

When I bought it, it had the factory fill of Mercon in it.

I swapped out 3L for M1.

and then a month later, 4L of M1.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I swapped out 3L for M1.

The 7L was just over half the oil in your tranny. My Mercury holds something over 13 qts. You are continueing to replace the really bad fluid that was in there. Have you drained the converter yet? It holds about 6-7 qts.

Originally Posted By: tig1

I swapped out 3L for M1.

The 7L was just over half the oil in your tranny. My Mercury holds something over 13 qts. You are continueing to replace the really bad fluid that was in there. Have you drained the converter yet? It holds about 6-7 qts.

No, being an '02, it doesn't have the drain on the converter
frown.gif
Only earlier years had that.

And yeah, obviously what was in there was garbage. It'll get another Mercon V flush later in the summer, the stuff is 1/2 the price of the M1 fluid.

Nice! I thought they stopped using the 4R100? Was than an option?

I just dumped the 13 quarts of factory Mercon V in my 01' for the first time. Not bad considering that it has 115K. Put in 15 quarts of WM ST Mercon V (+2 quart pan). Runs smother than I have ever felt.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Nice! I thought they stopped using the 4R100? Was than an option?

I just dumped the 13 quarts of factory Mercon V in my 01' for the first time. Not bad considering that it has 115K. Put in 15 quarts of WM ST Mercon V (+2 quart pan). Runs smother than I have ever felt.

Standard tranny behind the 5.4L in these.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Why do they do that when the F150's have the 4r70w?

The 5.4L in the older F-150's had the 4R100 too.

It was also behind the 7.3L Powerstroke. It is a stronger transmission than the 4R75W/4R70W

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
This really seems to a great fluid for the money.

Yes, it really does. I'm very impressed.

This is a huge milestone for me, using something other than M1 or Amsoil
wink.gif

UPDATE.

So, the shift "weirdness" came back eventually. Drained the fluid today (6L), and filled with 6L of M1 ATF.

The fluid that came out had an orange tinge to it. ZERO metal on the drain plug though.

I want to eventually do the "running flush" to get all of the fluid out, but this method is so quick and easy........

Working on getting the transmission fluid in our 03 expedition (4.6L so 4R70W Tranny) changed. It's almost 56,000 miles with some pretty good towing behind it, so it probably could use a change.... But right now the priority is to replace the fuel pump (if it ever arrives....)

UPDATE.

So, the shift "weirdness" came back eventually. Drained the fluid today (6L), and filled with 6L of M1 ATF.

The fluid that came out had an orange tinge to it. ZERO metal on the drain plug though.

I want to eventually do the "running flush" to get all of the fluid out, but this method is so quick and easy........

you might want to drop the pan and replace the filter! hopefully it is not starving your tranny? mike

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
UPDATE.

you might want to drop the pan and replace the filter! hopefully it is not starving your tranny? mike

I assumed it was a rock-catcher filter and if there was anything in it or plugging it, that we've got other problems.....

It's one of those peace of mind factors. If the thing is gushing fluid out the cooler line, I doubt that you've got the thing starving for anything.

I'd say that once it's changed from the initial OEM installation, it probably never has to be changed again in any sensible ownership/mileage unless something grenaded in the trans.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
UPDATE.

I assumed it was a rock-catcher filter and if there was anything in it or plugging it, that we've got other problems.....
i thought it was a media filter and not a screen? anybody know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back