Would You use Supertech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Nope, full synthetic Supertech is $17.47 for 5 quarts, Mobil 1 full synthetic is $24.47, I wouldn't want to wonder whether the cheap Walmart oil is ok in my motor, but that's just me. If you put on let's say 12,000 miles per year, and go 9,000 miles on a synthetic oil change, that $7.00 is about .78 more per month. My engine is worth .78 per month, I mean heck I use .78 worth of gas in about 5 minutes of driving. That extra $7 on that oil change is about 2.5 cents per day.

I guess it's the same reason I pay .05 more per gallon of gas to go to Shell or Chevron rather than the quickie mart for gas, I guess it's just peace of mind, maybe I'm insane lol. Same as paying $2.00 more for a Wix filter rather than a Fram.

You've fallen under the spell of brand marketing. Congratulations. Just goes to show you that advertising and marketing really works. Those companies thank you for those extra dollars.

In terms of gas, the real secret is that it all comes from the same pipeline/barge. You don't think individual brands have their own separate delivery method do you? So the gas at the quickie place is actually the same gas at Shell, the only difference is the additive package and the EPA mandates a minimum amount of cleaners in the gas.

Nope, full synthetic Supertech is $17.47 for 5 quarts, Mobil 1 full synthetic is $24.47, I wouldn't want to wonder whether the cheap Walmart oil is ok in my motor, but that's just me. If you put on let's say 12,000 miles per year, and go 9,000 miles on a synthetic oil change, that $7.00 is about .78 more per month. My engine is worth .78 per month, I mean heck I use .78 worth of gas in about 5 minutes of driving. That extra $7 on that oil change is about 2.5 cents per day.

I guess it's the same reason I pay .05 more per gallon of gas to go to Shell or Chevron rather than the quickie mart for gas, I guess it's just peace of mind, maybe I'm insane lol. Same as paying $2.00 more for a Wix filter rather than a Fram.

AMEN twice.

I do use supertech 5W30 synthetic IN MY LAWN MOWER.

But I use Mobil 1 5W30 in my 2GR-FE Toyota V6.

many people on here think saving money on oil is better than sex.

Personally, I like knowing my car is run optimally ... not just adequate.

Oh yes, I too pay for Shell/texaco top tier gas. I really don't want my injectors clogging and valves getting deposits thereby in the long run costing me more money in gas.

Heck, even Hyundai owners manual now specifies that if you don't use top tier, to use a fuel system cleaner. www.toptiergas.com

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

You've fallen under the spell of brand marketing. Congratulations. Just goes to show you that advertising and marketing really works. Those companies thank you for those extra dollars.

In terms of gas, the real secret is that it all comes from the same pipeline/barge. You don't think individual brands have their own separate delivery method do you? So the gas at the quickie place is actually the same gas at Shell, the only difference is the additive package and the EPA mandates a minimum amount of cleaners in the gas.

I live near Richmond, California and the Chevron refinery there. They've got trucks stopping all the time to pick up gas. However, they also have storage tanks that pipe in fuel from other refineries. For the most part Chevron branded stations are selling Chevron fuel from that refinery. And Shell comes from the Shell refinery in Martinez. Valero fuel comes mostly from the Valero refinery in Benecia. 76 stations mostly from the ConocoPhillips refinery in Hercules.

Independents however buy on the spot market.

There is nothing wrong with it. If all you need is an API-rated oil (most non-European cars), there is absolutely no problem. I'd use it in any pre-2011 non-Cadillac/Corvette GM car for the duration of its OLM suggestion. And even then, they do have a synthetic.

Their 5w30 synthetic even meets 4718M standards, for only $17 for the 5qt jug. It's about 20c more than the syn blend Pennzoil Dexos.

I have used it and would use it again if it was all I could get. I have a stash already of other oils, so they will be used first.
wink.gif

I'm no oil genius, never have claimed to be but what it sounds like you're saying is Supertech is just as good as Mobil 1, well in that case Pennzoil is just as good as Quaker State, and Chevron is just as good as Rotella, and Kendall is just as good as Amsoil. Well in that case since all oils are just as good, price doesn't matter, generics are just fine then I guess this entire forum must be 100% irrelevant and everyone should use ANY oil at the owners manual's recommended weight.

I'm no oil genius, never have claimed to be but what it sounds like you're saying is Supertech is just as good as Mobil 1, well in that case Pennzoil is just as good as Quaker State, and Chevron is just as good as Rotella, and Kendall is just as good as Amsoil. Well in that case since all oils are just as good, price doesn't matter, generics are just fine then I guess this entire forum must be 100% irrelevant and everyone should use ANY oil at the owners manual's recommended weight.

I don't think the question is whether or not it's better/worse/same, but whether or not we'll ever know the difference via feel or longevity. For the most part I don't think anyone really would. That being said I have my preferences and stick to them. I remember one claim that perhaps sticking with one particular product for the long haul would reduce additive incompatibility. Something about a better likelihood of additive compatibility within the same product line even when the formula is changed. Don't know if it's true, but it gives me the warm fuzzies.

I've used Supertech lubricants before with good results.

I've used their brake cleaner, power steering fluid, I run their 10W-30 full synthetic in my lawn mower.

Supertech's Dex VI is licensed by GM. All in all they make good products.

As far as running it in a car, my girlfriend used to run ST full synthetic in her Cobalt with no problems.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Supertech's Dex VI is licensed by GM. All in all they make good products.

As a matter of pure semantics, they don't "make" anything. They own the brand name, provide the graphics/label copy to the actual manufacturer, and market it. There are companies that thrive on making most house brands - like Pinnacle Oil and Warren. Some of the big names even do that, including ExxonMobil and Valvoline (I remember Car and Driver brand oil sold at Target).

Heck - even companies like Fram don't even make a lot of their stuff. Fram doesn't have manufacturing for its air filters, although of most of what they sell they designed and just outsourced. Then there's the complex stuff they don't touch and where they just buy from some third party and put in a Fram box with a Fram part number.

You should see Sears. They don't make anything with their well-known brands, including Craftsman (although they own the designs), Kenmore, or DieHard. My mom used to work at a company called DeSoto that at the time primarily had a primary business making products like paint and household detergents sold to Sears. I remember my mom could get great deals on Weatherbeater paint or Sears house brand laundry and dishwashing detergent.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
I want to start using supertech products because of price. They are so cheap. And they meet the specs, so what do you all think?

I think,if you want to use it,go for it!

I'll keep walking by it in the oil section,so others will have the chance to buy it also!
56.gif

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I don't think the question is whether or not it's better/worse/same, but whether or not we'll ever know the difference via feel or longevity. For the most part I don't think anyone really would. That being said I have my preferences and stick to them. I remember one claim that perhaps sticking with one particular product for the long haul would reduce additive incompatibility. Something about a better likelihood of additive compatibility within the same product line even when the formula is changed. Don't know if it's true, but it gives me the warm fuzzies.

Point still the same. If whatever brand is just fine, including who knows-what generic branded stuff, then why discuss any of this at all? Shut 'er down.

Yet, many of these products may not necessarily be better, or even equivalent. They may meet some spec, but that may or may not be the end-all, be-all. Or for some applications they may be.

But IMO there is something beyond brand recognition in the advanced chemistries in many of these products. This isnt wal-mart blue jeans made in a sweat shop in Honduras alongside Levis and Wranglers... This is multibillion dollar chemistry R&D industry that brings forth superior chemistries and products. Ill venture to guess that the generic stuff goes to the no-name, while the name brand gets the premium products.

Don't use ST unless you plan on really long drain intervals.
Just ask one of the mods here, who recently posted a very nice 15K UOA of ST conventional.
ST seems to be very good stuff.
It just isn't all that cheap for those of us who chase deals.
PP with the current MIR is cheaper, for example.
There are always deals on motor oil.
If you don't feel like chasing them, ST is a solid choice at an everyday low price, as Walmart likes to put it.
I'd use it without any concerns, as I have a couple of times.

For an ordinary, average vehicle that doesn't list any fancy specs or exotic requirements or viscosities, why not? If one needs dexos1 or an ACEA based specification, well, choosing something else might be in order. But, for normal, SN/GF-5 5w-30, I can't see a problem.

Note that your Walmart sells ST synthetic at a regular price better than our Walmart's regular prices on any oil. We don't get ST synthetic, but when ST (they changed the name up here and I can't recall the name of it) is on rollback up here, look out. $6 a gallon is hard to beat.

Well, I bet Supertech synthetic doesn't have any ACEA or dexos1 specifications or a 10000 mile guarantee. However, that doesn't mean the Supertech isn't equally capable in certain platforms, either. Look what Dave Newton accomplished with Supertech conventional. Of course, I can't get ST syn up here, so I'll never know.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What can Mobil 1 synthetic do that Supertech synthetic can't?

Be used in Euro applications for starters.....

Well It seems that everyone (or al least most) would not have any problems using Supertech fluids. Good to hear. I will probably continue using Pennzoil for pcmo, and whats left of my ultra stash, than its back to pyb. I would use the Supertech ATF though, its about 8$ a gallon cheaper than the castrol at my store

Despite the sarcasm, you're probably right for most users under most conditions.

I worry more about my transmissions than my engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back