Would you use it? The proverbial garage find

Status
Not open for further replies.
20 cases total ranging in date and brand. Oldest is as pictured, 1988. All bottles sealed and the majority of cases unopened.
My neighbor's father passed and they have no clue what to do with it. If it's good I'll use it. I don't go over 6 months or 5K between OCI. What say you BITOG members? use it in cars or stick to lawnmowers with it?

I'm using 43 year old oil with no problem in one of my older cars. Stored properly and in use in a low tech engine, there is no issue. That oil isn't that old at all.

I had the same thing happen but the guy had a whole bunch of the green castrol 0w30. So I traded a guy for Mobil1

I would never run a conventional oil that has been sitting that long. I would give it away to someone willing to roll the dice and I would sit back and watch the show.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I would never run a conventional oil that has been sitting that long. I would give it away to someone willing to roll the dice and I would sit back and watch the show.

It would be a real boring show. One that consists of them saving money with free oil and resulting in no engine damage where the motor oil is culpable.

I'd rather watch the Kardashians.

It sat in worse conditions for thousands of years and now it's been refined and in bottles stored properly for nearly 20-30 years? Use it.

36.gif
36.gif

It's got "Wearban" so it's got to be good.
I just finished up the 15 yr old Castrol I stockpiled with no obvious issues.
Use that stuff with confidence!

Originally Posted By: old1
I would love to have the SJ and SL oils for my classic cars.

They still make SL oils. QS Defy, Pennz Ultra 10w-30, and Belgian Castrol 0w-30. were some examples of SL oils available the past couple of years. You can also get SJ/SL levels of zinc and phosphorus in M1 0W-40 as well as other leading oils.

20 case stash is a lifetime supply. I'd use it as long as it meets the specs of your engine. Donate the rest to a classic car club where it could be put to good use. SL was a great oil formula, as was SJ/

Put it on Craigslist for 50 cents a quart and get rid of it. No need to have it taking up space for another 20 years. I'd only use it in a lawn mower personally.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

They still make SL oils. QS Defy,

Defy is no longer SL. They changed it. Although I cant remember if it is SM or SN now.

Agree with the get rid of it, save for what you can use within a year of the newest stuff.

The simplest is just post on craigslist for and scavengers will take your junk for free. Remember that while this may have value to someone it is considered household hazardous waste and a pain for you to get rid of. There is time value to just get rid of stuff and how much money are you really saving/making.

If you're a stasher you can equally get $1/quart or less oil with rebates and so on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: 69GTX

They still make SL oils. QS Defy,

Defy is no longer SL. They changed it. Although I cant remember if it is SM or SN now.

It's SN now. I believe M1 HM is SN as well.

Interesting how Exxon went from UniFlo to SuperFlo - always assumed Uni was uniform flow ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back