Would you use 15w40 with ARX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to do an ARX on the daughter's car.
Shes leaving Thursday.
So I need to change the oil tomorrow.
I have some Castrol Tection.
Which would be a good rinse,but.
It will be winter by time to do the rinse.
Would you use the Tection?

Will the viscosity be correct for the temperatures that will be encountered as well as the manufactures recommendations?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
With the coming cold weather, I wouldn't go with a 15W-40 unless her car has an oil pan heater that she uses regularly.

+1 Even then there are better choices for the winter.

Can the arx and get some pp or m1 in 5w30 with 4 ounces of mmo mixed in . that will clean as well as arx for much less money. If the car burns oil use 5w30 maxlife oil with the mmo. That will make for easier starting in Chicago winters and protect and clean the motor.
The more reports we get with arx , the less impressed i am with it . I am not saying it does not work, but unless the motor is a sludge monster , there are more cost effective choices that will do the same thing. A good quality oil with mmo in small doses cleans and lubricates . I also recommend lucas ucl every 5-10 tank fulls (4 oz per tank) of gas to clean and lubricate the fuel system.I put it in at the station then immediately fill the tank. It disburses better. tectron , b-g mmo or seafoam work too but i have had better results with lucas myself..

Funny you post this. I actually did one of my first arx treatments with Castrol Tection Extra 15W40. That was in a SAAB 9-5 that called for 0W40. I even did it in winter. But...in a Louisiana winter. Coldest it got was maybe 21 degrees? It ran fine though. Wouldn't be my first choice if I had to do it over, though.

If that ws what I was useing in my engine sure but you do not need to. I do though think that many people waist time and effectiveness useing synthetics of any kind with ARX.

The cheapest thing the engine can handle for the short duration of use. Even Euro-Alloy can tolerate an HDEO if you're not asking it to jump through all the hoops.

I used Tection 15W-40 for the rinse phase in both my Aerostar and my older Accord.
In the north, this late in the year, I'd probably avoid a 15W-40.
No, it probably won't hurt, and I have no problem using higher weights in any engine in warm weather, but not when I know it is getting colder with each passing day.
Did you score the Tection cheap?
I have three $3.74 gallons of Tection 15W-40 and four of Delvac 15W-40 at $3.00 after MIR.
I have exactly zero diesels at the moment, although I am always open to a nice W123 diesel.

Friend in Sydney is using Castrol GTX 3 15W40 Modern Engine for his daughters car after a bit of research into an ester and PAO free oil that's readily available here.. So far even she has noticed the results and not a 'car savvy' person according to dad. More reports as they come to hand.

Thanks for the replies/advice.
I wanted to use up some of the hording.
Might be selling the old truck need to use it up.
I put 10w30 and a bottle of ARX in it.
It started using oil on the last oci.
Never go past 3k.Pvc changed twice a year.
'99 Camry v6 sludger 109k original owner.
Would you give it a dose of MMO right before changing the oil?
Sorry I haven't had time to post.

Plus I sat down and figured it would take at least eight weeks for the mileage to mount for draining the oil.
It's going to a little cold around here by then(Maybe?).

Originally Posted By: RichR
Thanks for the replies/advice.
I wanted to use up some of the hording.
Might be selling the old truck need to use it up.
I put 10w30 and a bottle of ARX in it.
It started using oil on the last oci.
Never go past 3k.Pvc changed twice a year.
'99 Camry v6 sludger 109k original owner.
Would you give it a dose of MMO right before changing the oil?
Sorry I haven't had time to post.

You can treat it with MMO no problem. You can run a pint the entire OCI and then for the last 500-1000 miles drop in another pint of MMO. Or if you want add just a pint of MMO for the last 1000 miles of the OCI. I like the first suggestion better if you feel the engine might be very dirty. Either way it won't hurt the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back