Would you replace at 4/32nds ?

Haven't decided yet. I can believe the price of tires. It's at least $160.00 for a Nexen Type Tire (235/65/18V or can go "H"). OR-after that they are basically $200.00 and up. Paramount factors are road noise and must be half way decent in slush conditions. The Highlander is AWD.
IF you're going to replace them with low-end tires anyway, not sure what's the rush. ;)

I don't know about "low end". But I'm not buying Michelins either!
Honestly, if you time your purchases accordingly, the price of Michelin's is pretty close to the "everyday price" of midgrade tires.

IME there's a pretty significant difference in wet traction with most Michelin products compared to low end or mid-grade rubber. Also far fewer uniformity issues.

I don't know about "low end". But I'm not buying Michelins either!
Everything is a trade off and investment that only you can decide. I "saved" a bunch when Goodyear Prorated my Assurance WeatherReady's and I got new winter tires. I then paid a couple times even with roadforce to try and get them smooth, never quite went away. Not enough issues to replace before worn out and they worked well in the winters for me. I won't get them again. It was so nice putting my Pirelli's back on for nice and smooth ride. My son just did 500+ miles in it and said the same thing.

The discounted money I paid on prorate and then paid afterward would have covered a new full set of Michelin X-ice snow or Viking Contact 7's without the GY interventions.
Haven't decided yet. I can believe the price of tires. It's at least $160.00 for a Nexen Type Tire (235/65/18V or can go "H"). OR-after that they are basically $200.00 and up. Paramount factors are road noise and must be half way decent in slush conditions. The Highlander is AWD.
The road noise and decent in slush might be more conflicting issues. I haven't seen many tests for slush. Snow/ice yes. Wet traction and Snow traction often require different things, not sure how slush plays there.

Did you have any issues with what was on it for those attributes (except tread life)? My wife is very happy with the Defender LTX M/S on her Pilot but might be too stiff with an XL rating for you. If she's happy, I know I made a good choice. Spent a but more but if she hates them it would not be worth the couple hundred potential savings.

You need to watch a bunch more videos/reviews on Tire Rack or at https://www.tire-reviews.com/ to gauge your own comparison.

Honestly, if you time your purchases accordingly, the price of Michelin's is pretty close to the "everyday price" of midgrade tires.

IME there's a pretty significant difference in wet traction with most Michelin products compared to low end or mid-grade rubber. Also far fewer uniformity issues.
Have you had any experience with the Defender2 tire?

Everything is a trade off and investment that only you can decide. I "saved" a bunch when Goodyear Prorated my Assurance WeatherReady's and I got new winter tires. I then paid a couple times even with roadforce to try and get them smooth, never quite went away. Not enough issues to replace before worn out and they worked well in the winters for me. I won't get them again. It was so nice putting my Pirelli's back on for nice and smooth ride. My son just did 500+ miles in it and said the same thing.

The discounted money I paid on prorate and then paid afterward would have covered a new full set of Michelin X-ice snow or Viking Contact 7's without the GY interventions.

The road noise and decent in slush might be more conflicting issues. I haven't seen many tests for slush. Snow/ice yes. Wet traction and Snow traction often require different things, not sure how slush plays there.

Did you have any issues with what was on it for those attributes (except tread life)? My wife is very happy with the Defender LTX M/S on her Pilot but might be too stiff with an XL rating for you. If she's happy, I know I made a good choice. Spent a but more but if she hates them it would not be worth the couple hundred potential savings.

You need to watch a bunch more videos/reviews on Tire Rack or at https://www.tire-reviews.com/ to gauge your own comparison.
I have seen some tires with an XL rating. Unfortunately the suspension on the Highlander is overly soft right from the factory-XL tires wouldn't be a good fit. Looking to down grade possibly from a "V" rating to an "H" rated.

It would likely be a dry season and is worth waiting till 2/32, but it would also be a good time to buy if inventory is high and someone has to get rid of surplus on sale. You will have the bargaining power and that translate to good deal. Or better yet if you have space buy on discount and store till you need it before the next rain season hit and install it by then.

Regarding the expected dry conditions. In those states that see little rain, the roads tend to be worn pretty smooth. They often look quite shiny and slick. Due to the lack of regular rain, the roads also accumulate contaminants like oil and dirt which makes them even more slippery when it does get wet. Ask Mr. Murphy for his opinion. Is the savings worth squeezing out another 2,000 miles compared to the potential risk of just one good slip that may be avoidable?

Maybe the potholes in CA will provide traction. The chances of a blowout are not insignificant.

Nope. I would be very comfortable with them assuming good shape overall - not lots of repairs & have not been run severely underinflated & still within a reasonable date, i.e. not over 6-8 years old.
I was going to mention it would depend on how many plug/patches or other issues they had (age and such). But yeah, definitely time to start Googling and figuring out what you want to buy in the nearish future.

Reactions: CKN

Sounds about right, an average set of 4 decent tires are around $1,000/installed nowadays.

Reactions: CKN
Sounds about right, an average set of 4 decent tires are around $1,000/installed nowadays.
Tires have been getting bigger not only because many vehicles are now bigger but because even small vehicles are expected to have bigger wheels and tires. A 205/55/16 was once a decent-sized tire for a compact or medium-sized car. I don't think I even see 185s anymore at all - maybe on a Spark or something? So yes, tires cost more.

Last edited:
Probably not, but I would rather soon after returning. I'd inspect them first, of course.

Tires have been getting bigger not only because many vehicles are now bigger but because even small vehicles are expected to have bigger wheels and tires. A 205/55/16 was once a decent-sized tire for a compact or medium-sized car. I don't think I even see 185s anymore at all - maybe on a Spark or something? So yes, tires cost more.
Vehicles are heavier. All the safety equipment, crumble zones etc. add to that hybrid invasion and additional weight of battery pack.
Than, everyone wants AWD, whether they need it or not.

I would not replace then until your return, highway does not eat tires like stop and go.

A few years ago I watched an Infiniti G37 sedan do a 180 and fly into a bunch of cacti off the 40 during a random downpour. My 4x2 Grand Cherokee had good tread on the tires and did just fine in the same conditions going the same speed.

A few years ago I watched an Infiniti G37 sedan do a 180 and fly into a bunch of cacti off the 40 during a random downpour. My 4x2 Grand Cherokee had good tread on the tires and did just fine in the same conditions going the same speed.
Did he have 4-32 left? I've seen quite a few old infinities with -1/32 tread

Back