Would you ever use the same oil filter more than twice?

No its just like laundry to me and I don't recycle dirty water to do my good shirts! Beside if you leave it on and just keep running it and you cut the can and you find a cut filter when did it happen ten miles ago or two oil changes ago? I will error in the vain of over protection.

This thread is strong on feelings and technically mixed - riddled with silly analogies …
We all use safety factors at work - but many will not even consider a 20k filter for 10k ? The few ounces left is the same oil that laid down protection … and if using a Fram XG is already filtered better than that fresh oil with a cheap filter will soon be

I'm fixin to take my first ever road trip in my Accord 2.0T (2200 miles round trip) I'm going to do an oil change before the trip and I figure the OCI will be 4500-5000 miles. I've never not changed the filter while doing an oil change, but I have a Fram Ultra on there now so I'm just going to do a drain & fill this time. I really can't see myself going more than 2 OCI on the same filter though.

Reactions: 4WD
I don’t believe any filter could or should go that long efficiently. What a manufacturer can claim versus what actually happens are two different things. It’s right to change it each time. I don’t feel I’ve done a proper job not changing it.

I get that.

Especially on a vehicle you dont know -safer to just do it, but if its mine and I know what Ive done since I had it?

History is powerful agent, so is peace of mind, but then research, and testing should trump - right?

I'm curious, is there, or what data do you have that says the manufacturers have this wrong?

After all they spent more than you or anyone here coming to their conclusions.

This thread is strong on feelings and technically mixed - riddled with silly analogies …
We all use safety factors at work - but many will not even consider a 20k filter for 10k ? The few ounces left is the same oil that laid down protection … and if using a Fram XG is already filtered better than that fresh oil with a cheap filter will soon be

Exactly. I'm puzzled by folks who might trust an oil filter rated for 10k on 1 oil change, but would somehow not trust it for 2 shorter OCIs totaling 10k, where the oil is literally cleaner after the 2nd interval when 85% of the contaminated oil has been literally removed and replaced with fresh clean oil.

IOT, folks run these for 10k with the same oil put in 10k miles before, but would not "feel right" leaving the filter on when 85% of the dirty oil was replaced at 5k miles.

It's a weird principle IMO. If the filter can do 10k on the original oil, it surely can do two, 5k intervals on fresher oil. And while $10 is not much money, I agree, in the aggregate and over many OCIs and as a % of the cost, it does represent a large waste replacing perfectly good oil filters needlessly.

Exactly. I'm puzzled by folks who might trust an oil filter rated for 10k on 1 oil change, but would somehow not trust it for 2 shorter OCIs totaling 10k, where the oil is literally cleaner after the 2nd interval when 85% of the contaminated oil has been literally removed and replaced with fresh clean oil.

IOT, folks run these for 10k with the same oil put in 10k miles before, but would not "feel right" leaving the filter on when 85% of the dirty oil was replaced at 5k miles.

It's a weird principle IMO. If the filter can do 10k on the original oil, it surely can do two, 5k intervals on fresher oil. And while $10 is not much money, I agree, in the aggregate and over many OCIs and as a % of the cost, it does represent a large waste replacing perfectly good oil filters needlessly.
E waste + E waste ✅

I don’t believe any filter could or should go that long efficiently. What a manufacturer can claim versus what actually happens are two different things. It’s right to change it each time. I don’t feel I’ve done a proper job not changing it.
If you understand the data in this thread, you'd understand how some filters can be very efficient all the way until they are almost clogged up ... ie, high delta-p across the media, which won't happen on an engine unless the engine is a complete sludge monster. Changing out an Ultra for instance at 5000 miles is a waste, and that's why some people run them for two or three 5000 mile runs on engines in good health.

Granted, some filters are better than others for longer OCIs, and from what I've been seeing most of the big brand filters make's claims are relatively accurate on the filter efficiency and rated use period. So what I'm saying is don't use a filter that's rated for 5000 miles for 10 or 15K miles. Pretty simple.

Last edited:

While you are on the subject of how 2 sumps at 5K is somehow worse than one,

As far as the filter "knows"- its one use, its not re-used.
the very notion of the original post doesnt really fit the narrative of whats going on.
No one is talking about removal and drain of the filter and re-use of it.
The filter stays on, gasket gets crushed once, can doenst get mangled and spun back on.

Without having to get under the car you can dramatically speed and clean up the OCI by not having to pull it and the drain plug then clean the pan, and replace the plug & washer, can - and dump the waste.

Less waste and longer product life - sure thats true, more important less, prep, work, and cleanup time. Time is not replaceable.

Im down to 15 minutes (10 of these minutes doing nothing) on a topside change.

Last edited:
If you understand the data in this thread, you'd understand how some filters can be very efficient all the way until they are almost clogged up ... ie, high delta-p across the media, which won't happen on an engine unless the engine is a complete sludge monster. Changing out an Ultra for instance at 5000 miles is a waste, and that's why some people run them for two or three 5000 mile runs on engines in good health.

Granted, some filters are better than others for longer OCIs, and from what I've been seeing most of the big brand filters make's claims are relatively accurate on the filter efficiency and rated use period. So what I'm saying is don't use a filter that's rated for 5000 miles for 10 or 15K miles. Pretty simple.

ZeeOSix: we can’t reach everyone so….

My dad is stone headed in his thinking; waste a Fram in 3k oci. I just shake my head or cringe. I won’t ever waste even a Fram Tough Guard filter for any less than 15k from now on. People can say I have balls, I’m crazy, so what

AM apparently doesn't understand engineering testing, data and science ... just go by "feelings and/or misinformation, it's a lot more accurate". 😂

AM apparently doesn't understand engineering testing, data and science ... just go by "feelings, it's a lot more accurate". 😂
I do. Just ever since manufacturers starting claiming stuff like 10k oil changes to simply get the car out of warranty I choose not to trust any manufacturers recommendations. It’s absolutely nuts to do something like that.

I do. Just ever since manufacturers starting claiming stuff like 10k oil changes to simply get the car out of warranty I choose not to trust any manufacturers recommendations. It’s absolutely nuts to do something like that.
Blinded by Science ... 😄

It depends on the use of the vehicle ... that's why there is a severe and non-severe use maintenance schedule. No manual will say to do a 10K+ OCI with severe use. Look at the manuals.

Back