Would you buy: High Mileage 2017 GMC Yukon XL

Considering the purchase of a 2017 Yukon XL with 191,000 miles on it. 5.3 motor with the 6 speed auto. It appears to be in good condition with a decent carfax and is priced fairly at a reputable dealership. I’d have to drive about 45 minutes to look at it, so I haven’t seen it in person yet.

Am I stupid for even entertaining this idea? I could easily spend another $8-10k over the price on this one and still be in the 150k mileage range.

Are you stupid, no. At that mileage you should be mechanically experienced and have tools/knowledge before considering such a purchase. Its large and a gas guzzler.

Inspect it with a focus on the suspension and as others have said, transmission fluid will be one indicator of health. Test drive it for a solid 20-30 minutes at speed and pay attention to all your senses. A helper would be useful here for peer reviewing everything.

Considering the purchase of a 2017 Yukon XL with 191,000 miles on it.
Thought this was going to be about a 300K or at least a 250K vehicle. 191,000 miles isn't particularly high for a 7 1/2 year old truck. Miles don't concern me, condition does.

I could easily spend another $8-10k over the price on this one and still be in the 150k mileage range.
A 150K example is going to have 95% of the same issues as one with 191K. I wouldn't pay $8-10K more just to get 40,000 lower miles.

Considering the purchase of a 2017 Yukon XL with 191,000 miles on it. 5.3 motor with the 6 speed auto. It appears to be in good condition with a decent carfax and is priced fairly at a reputable dealership. I’d have to drive about 45 minutes to look at it, so I haven’t seen it in person yet.

Am I stupid for even entertaining this idea? I could easily spend another $8-10k over the price on this one and still be in the 150k mileage range.
IMHO With 191K miles most of those issues [with the 2015-2017 and some 2018's] have been addressed. The issues were Transmission,A/C,Brake Booster. Mine had all those issues. Thankfully I had a extended Bumper to Bumper warranty that covered all that. All that happened between 80K and 130K miles.

I now have 171K miles [completely stock] and have zero intentions of selling it.

Even with the good carfax I would still have it checked out from top to bottom by a good independent mechanic or a good Mobile mechanic. But that is just me.

I set up an appointment to look at it this evening, but just got a call from the salesman that it sold earlier today. It was listed for less than 24 hours.

How much were they asking? Here is a 108k 2015 Denali with the 6.2 that will probably go for about $20K at auction.

20240502194452-4c0d8d85-2412-4cd8-931b-131fd4119429.jpg

Go look at it. If the trans, front end and lifters have already been dealt with then you have a chance for a good vehicle purchase. If not, or you can't tell then I would look closely at it before purchasing. All three of those issues will cost thousands to fix.

Go look at it. If the trans, front end and lifters have already been dealt with then you have a chance for a good vehicle purchase. If not, or you can't tell then I would look closely at it before purchasing. All three of those issues will cost thousands to fix.
For what purpose?
just got a call from the salesman that it sold earlier today.

For what purpose?
Because the op was considering purchasing the vehicle in which you have to go see it first, right?

Secondly, my rationale was that if the truck looked good and had proof (or able to tell from looking at it) of those common repairs already being done the truck just might be a good deal vs buying a lower mileage unit that is facing the repairs in the near future. A simple test drive, checking the front end, trans fluid condition, quiet motor etc can be determined in a just a few minutes time.

knock on wood we have many 5.3l 6l80 LT motors up into the high 170-180K without any hard part failures. would choose a high mileage GM power plant before a brand new ford.

Now I inquired on a more expensive 2019 Expedition Max with 143k miles. Turns out the cam phasers are bad. Must not be my day for vehicle shopping.

Now I inquired on a more expensive 2019 Expedition Max with 143k miles. Turns out the cam phasers are bad. Must not be my day for vehicle shopping.

Work that repair into the price.

Where are you located?

Work that repair into the price.

Where are you located?
South Dakota.

It’s at a Subaru dealership and unfortunately they aren’t interested in working with me on price or doing any repairs on it. Sounds like it’s heading to auction.

Back