Would you all like to see ISO 4548-12 Oil Filter Lab Testing Comparison, Efficiency & Capacity, Pressure vs Flow, Bubble Point, and Burst?

How much would a test cost? It would be on a new XG10575 with the new media so it could be compared to the one you already tested. No bubble test, just flow vs delta-p and efficiency using same test parameters. Maybe people could donate via PayPal if you have a PayPal - ?.
I usually charge approximately $1000 set up and $1000 per ISO 4548-12 multi-pass efficiency and capacity test for these particular types of lube oil spin-on filters.

200 people $10 per person for a filter

This thread has been quiet for a while, everything OK? I was looking through the Fram product line and, lo and behold, they have introduced 3 new lines: Titanium, Force, and Drive (in descending price order). They still have the Ultra, but as has been noted here, the Ultra doesn't have the same wire mesh backed media anymore. However the Titanium is touted as having that now.

Edit:
Their disclaimer is "Not all features are available on every part number in the product line. Check the package for specific features of individual filters." So the part number that was tested (XG10575) may not have the same results as other part numbers in the XG line?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
They still have the Ultra, but as has been noted here, the Ultra doesn't have the same wire mesh backed media anymore. However the Titanium is touted as having that now.
Not so sure all the Titanium models still have the old media with metal screen backing. It would be nice if they did, and it would be nice if someone could visually verify for instance if the Titanium 7317 equivalent has the wire screen. If it does on a very newly made filter, then I'd believe the Titanium has retained the old metal screen backing design, but my guess is AAP might go with the new screenless media design to save money.

This thread has been quiet for a while, everything OK? I was looking through the Fram product line and, lo and behold, they have introduced 3 new lines: Titanium, Force, and Drive (in descending price order). They still have the Ultra, but as has been noted here, the Ultra doesn't have the same wire mesh backed media anymore. However the Titanium is touted as having that now.

Edit:
Their disclaimer is "Not all features are available on every part number in the product line. Check the package for specific features of individual filters." So the part number that was tested (XG10575) may not have the same results as other part numbers in the XG line?

Thoughts?

Hold on...

So you DID know about the change to the Ultra media BUT you DID NOT know about the Fram filter offerings at Advance Auto Parts???

That is not something that just happened, those AAP filters began being introduced at the beginning of June 2020 and have been discussed ad nauseam on this website ever since. I would like to think that there is or at least should be a far greater awareness of the fact of the AAP filters' existence versus the awareness of the change in the Ultra media.

Hold on...

So you DID know about the change to the Ultra media BUT you DID NOT know about the Fram filter offerings at Advance Auto Parts???

That is not something that just happened, those AAP filters began being introduced at the beginning of June 2020 and have been discussed ad nauseam on this website ever since. I would like to think that there is or at least should be a far greater awareness of the fact of the AAP filters' existence versus the awareness of the change in the Ultra media.
FWIW, I only shop at AAP because of their discounts and rewards. There's always a 15% off code and they frequently give you $5-$10 credits on purchases. This is all online, btw. Walmart was out of Fram Ultras for my car one time, so I got a titanium from AAP for $8 and change. Not bad. Then again, what little of the media I could see through the holes wasn't pink, nor did I see any metal, so maybe it had the new media as well. It seemed to function like an old FU, though. It kept my oil a lighter color for longer than any other filter and I didn't have any startup issues or anything. I too would like to see a test done on these new ones. They're probably still good filters.

Hold on...

I saw the change to Ultra media through a post on here, someone pointed out the different descriptions on the boxes. I had just ordered 3 different sizes from Amazon and the most popular size (XG10575) had the new media, and the 2 less popular sizes (XG3980, XG9100) had the old media described on the boxes. I forget what the date codes were but the boxes could have been switched (doubtful, but still a possibility).

I used to shop AAP exclusively for filters, they had the best discounts, and if you ordered over $75 (I think) you got free shipping. But I had bad experiences with them shipping old stock. I used to order Purolator One filters, and was still getting the old yellow cans. The date codes were from 4-5 years prior. Apparently their Bakersfield (CA) warehouse had a ton of them. This was for the 24011 (XG3980 equivalent). Took them back to a local CarQuest store, exchanged them for newer stock. IIRC, they were blue, but at least 1 year old.

I found the Fram XG filters on Amazon, and with subscribe & save they are reasonably priced. I think I searched AAP for Fram Ultra and didn't see them, so I moved on. I don't remember the Titanium even being mentioned, that was June/July this year.

My experience is you have to shop AAP when they offer the discounts. The 20% off and free shipping is what gives them the better price. I already pay for Amazon Prime, and with the Subscribe & Save deal, its another 5% (or more) off, and using the Amazon Store card is another 5% off. I have ordered the same filter from Amazon and AAP in the past, and the Amazon's date code was 1 year newer.

Speaking of the new media, here is a description of the new, more efficient media in the XG. Maybe the old media went to the Titanium?

New Fram XG.jpg

Attachments

• New Fram XG.pdf
    48.7 KB · Views: 140
Speaking of the new media, here is a description of the new, more efficient media in the XG. Maybe the old media went to the Titanium?

View attachment 77720
We've discussed the new media extensively in another thread, FWIW.

It's now just a synthetic blend media like the Mobil 1 filters.

I saw the change to Ultra media through a post on here, someone pointed out the different descriptions on the boxes. I had just ordered 3 different sizes from Amazon and the most popular size (XG10575) had the new media, and the 2 less popular sizes (XG3980, XG9100) had the old media described on the boxes. I forget what the date codes were but the boxes could have been switched (doubtful, but still a possibility).

I used to shop AAP exclusively for filters, they had the best discounts, and if you ordered over $75 (I think) you got free shipping. But I had bad experiences with them shipping old stock. I used to order Purolator One filters, and was still getting the old yellow cans. The date codes were from 4-5 years prior. Apparently their Bakersfield (CA) warehouse had a ton of them. This was for the 24011 (XG3980 equivalent). Took them back to a local CarQuest store, exchanged them for newer stock. IIRC, they were blue, but at least 1 year old.

I found the Fram XG filters on Amazon, and with subscribe & save they are reasonably priced. I think I searched AAP for Fram Ultra and didn't see them, so I moved on. I don't remember the Titanium even being mentioned, that was June/July this year.

My experience is you have to shop AAP when they offer the discounts. The 20% off and free shipping is what gives them the better price. I already pay for Amazon Prime, and with the Subscribe & Save deal, its another 5% (or more) off, and using the Amazon Store card is another 5% off. I have ordered the same filter from Amazon and AAP in the past, and the Amazon's date code was 1 year newer.

View attachment 77720

I think you missed my point, if you have been following this thread to the point that you feel the need to bump it just to post the fact that you just recently discovered the fact that AAP is offering their own store brand line of Fram filters...

Well I did a cursory search on this thread and there are six separate posts on the Fram Titanium alone prior to your post. It's kinda like if we went back in time to April 2004 and talked about how US forces have been in Iraq for a year and oh by the way they JUST RECENTLY invaded Afghanistan after they invaded Iraq.

I guess I just don't understand how you would not know this stuff but purport to be someone who has followed this thread and other content on this website but had no clue about other common knowledge in this thread and on this website.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you missed my point, if you have been following this thread to the point that you feel the need to bump it just to post the fact that you just recently discovered the fact that AAP is offering their own store brand line of Fram filters...

Well I did a cursory search on this thread and there are six separate posts on the Fram Titanium alone prior to your post. It's kinda like if we went back in time to April 2004 and talked about how US forces have been in Iraq for a year and oh by the way they JUST RECENTLY invaded Afghanistan after they invaded Iraq.

I guess I just don't understand how you would not know this stuff but purport to be someone who has followed this thread and other content on this website but had no clue about other common knowledge in this thread and on this website.

I, also, did a search on this thread and found ZERO references to Fram Titanium. From what you and Zee0Six posted, these are an exclusive AAP product? Can you elaborate? Are all three of the new ones exclusively AAP? No, never mind, you will make something else up. FWIW I haven't used AAP in a long time, as I stated earlier, so I wasn't exposed to that information. There are no physical AAP stores out here, they accept returns through CarQuest stores, so I get no local ads either.

I don't think your "point" should be to make up untrue facts, then call someone out as being "dumb" because they didn't know about it. The reason I bumped this thread is to check on Andrew, to see how the video was progressing, and added my "discovery" as an afterthought. He too, is discouraged by all the negativity on here, and you, sir, are contributing to that. In my experiences, someone who calls out someone then has to add little memes or video clips to make that person look bad, or stupid, has a very low opinion of themselves.

Maybe it has been discussed in other threads, "ad nauseam" as you say, but a simple sentence such as OVERKILL posted would have been sufficient. I didn't see you degrading the two or three posts in this thread repeatedly asking about the Pure One in these tests, apparently they didn't see the Moon Landing either.

BITOG seems to be drifting away from helping inquisitive minds find answers, even the "staff" members are negative and argumentative. Note the condemnation of Andrew and Zee0Six earlier in this thread. I revived an old (6 year) thread to thank the person who posted information on how to decipher the date code on Fram filters, and a few others commented. A staff member locked the thread saying commenting on old threads is a "waste of time". Why would that be? The information is still good, why not bring it back to the forefront?

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually charge approximately $1000 set up and $1000 per ISO 4548-12 multi-pass efficiency and capacity test for these particular types of lube oil spin-on filters.

200 people $10 per person for a filter
Since this post, we have built a new testing rig, dedicated to oil filter testing, and have modified the 4548-12 for efficiency data only. For $400 per test. This can be done on new, and I am happy to say used filters, which is a service nobody has provided people with until today.

Titanium=Ultra (possibly OG, there ARE ones left out there!)
Force=Tough Guard
Drive=Champ Ecore, or possibly Extra Guard, or whatever FB has laying around at the time! 🙃

So, what was the conclusive results of his test?
Was the latest Fram Ultra Sythetic XG filter the winner?

So, what was the conclusive results of his test?
Was the latest Fram Ultra Sythetic XG filter the winner?
The testing Andrew did was on the OG Ultra with the wire backed media. The newer non-wire backed Ultra was not tested.

Efficiency test results start here - post #368:

The testing Andrew did was on the OG Ultra with the wire backed media. The newer non-wire backed Ultra was not tested.
was the Ultra cut open after the test? I've looked thru all 28 pages and didn't see visual confirmation of the Ultra media type - but I certainly could have missed it

was the Ultra cut open after the test? I've looked thru all 28 pages and didn't see visual confirmation of the Ultra media type - but I certainly could have missed it

He didn't cut them open, but he started testing these filters in Jan 2021 (link below), so he had to have bought them before then, and I'd say the Ultra he used was the wire backed media design. Don't think the non-wire backed Ultra was even for sale way back then.

This is the post on Dec 9, 2020 showing the list of filters he bought, so he probably bough them shortly after that post.

Last edited:
Back