Would you all like to see ISO 4548-12 Oil Filter Lab Testing Comparison, Efficiency & Capacity, Pressure vs Flow, Bubble Point, and Burst?

Purolator's website shows the "ONE" (the PureONE) to still be 99% @ 20u based on their gigantic PL30001.
Can you still find that on their site? I looked and searched elsewhere and couldn't find that reference.
But yeah, that would be better than the "Boss", but doubt it would beat Fram Ultra.

If you wanted to consider other filters,
Wix std. would be better than Wix XP. (I think the claim is 99% at 23 micron)
Amsoil has a line that claims 99% at 20 micron.

There's a long list of filters that many people here would like to see tested. I want to see a torture test. Send big volumes of oil at a filter, with a pressure differential just 1-2 psi below the bypass point, for like 100 hours and see which ones are torn or have deformed pleating in the end.

Can you still find that on their site? I looked and searched elsewhere and couldn't find that reference.
But yeah, that would be better than the "Boss", but doubt it would beat Fram Ultra.

If you wanted to consider other filters,
Wix std. would be better than Wix XP. (I think the claim is 99% at 23 micron)
Amsoil has a line that claims 99% at 20 micron.

Yes is on the webpage, just above the grey banner at the bottom.

Yep, it's like trying to find Waldo. Don't know why they can't make the information easier to find, especially when the efficiency is good and not something to hide.
You would think the "higher end" Boss would do a better job of filtering, I guess longer life is a selling point now. I recall they used to say 99+% @20microns for 10,000 miles on the Boss. But they don't say that anymore. The testing proved that was incredibly wrong.........

A side note, when I worked for a Gulf service station in the early 70s they had Fram as their product line, the supplier was a Gulf jobber, and that's what we had. Then sometime in 1973 they changed to Purolator, never knew why, better quality, or cheaper price? Then in 1974 they pulled out of 7 western states......

You would think the "higher end" Boss would do a better job of filtering, I guess longer life is a selling point now. I recall they used to say 99+% @20microns for 10,000 miles on the Boss. But they don't say that anymore. The testing proved that was incredibly wrong.
I don't think the Purolator BOSS was ever shown by Purolator to be as good as the PureONE at 99% @ 20u. It was shown as "99%" but at 35 or 40u IIRC. If it was shown as 99% @ 20u I might have went with it instead of the Ultra since I was a Purolator fan before the media tearing issues started on the non-synthetic Purolators.

You would think the "higher end" Boss would do a better job of filtering, I guess longer life is a selling point now. I recall they used to say 99+% @20microns for 10,000 miles on the Boss. But they don't say that anymore. The testing proved that was incredibly wrong.........
You would think that, but yes, longer life seems to be the selling point they're going for.
The Boss is ok in regards to holding capacity. And the Wix XP is exceptional.
But in a well maintained vehicle that shouldn't be your priority.

In the case of stated claims, this is proof positive that if they don't specifically claim something, or that claim disappears, or they are inentionally vague on what the efficiency claim corresponds to (micron-wise) then there is good reason for it. And you'd be wise to stay away.

I don't think the Purolator BOSS was ever shown by Purolator to be as good as the PureONE at 99% @ 20u. It was shown as "99%" but at 35 or 40u IIRC. If it was shown as 99% @ 20u I might have went with it instead of the Ultra since I was a Purolator fan before the media tearing issues started on the non-synthetic Purolators.
I have been a Purolator P1 fan due to the very efficient filtering at the price point. Now I've been converted to Fram (at least the XG line), based on the science thanks to Andrew @ Ascent Filtration Testing.

I posted this 6 months ago, it was from Amazon's information page. See the "cross" (or "dagger" if you prefer) footnote. Their page has since been updated.

1625804491044.jpg

^^^ I'll look on my other computer - think I have some older screen shots of the Purolator filters advertised efficiencies from Purolator's website. Not sure I totally trust 3rd party info from a source like Amazon, even though it might have come from the manufacturer.

Not sure what "10,000 miles at 20 microns" really means. Purolator has never expressed their efficiency like that on their website.

You would think that, but yes, longer life seems to be the selling point they're going for.
The Boss is ok in regards to holding capacity. And the Wix XP is exceptional.
But in a well maintained vehicle that shouldn't be your priority.

Agreed a well maintained vehicle should not need a high capacity filter. Filtering efficiency at the smallest particle possible has always been my priority. Also using oversize filters to ensure flow. I was told to be careful using the PureONE, as they would plug up quickly.

In the case of stated claims, this is proof positive that if they don't specifically claim something, or that claim disappears, or they are inentionally vague on what the efficiency claim corresponds to (micron-wise) then there is good reason for it. And you'd be wise to stay away.

Yes, I've been accused of digging too deep and over thinking issues, but to get the facts, sometimes you have to dig. E.g. a screen is 99+% efficient @2mm. LOL

Not sure what "10,000 miles at 20 microns" really means. Purolator has never expressed their efficiency like that on their website.
I would assume it means at 10,000 miles the efficiency drops due to higher delta-p dislodging already captured particles.

I would assume it means at 10,000 miles the efficiency drops due to higher delta-p dislodging already captured particles.
Note sure. Purolator has always referenced ISO 4548-12 for efficiency, at least for the last 10 years, and still do. The table on Amazon has no test reference. It just seems unofficial.

Right now Purolator shows the BOSS is 99% - Based on ISO 4548-12 at 25 microns on PBL30001.

Andrew's test of the BOSS wasn't that good for the size he tested (much smaller than the 30001) - it was ~88% @ 25μ.

Last edited:
Right now Purolator shows the BOSS is 99% - Based on ISO 4548-12 at 25 microns on PBL30001.

Andrew's test of the BOSS wasn't that good for the size he tested (much smaller than the 30001) - it was ~88% @ 25μ.

Yea I brought that up at the time trying to find out the manufacture date on the boss. It was a fairly recent change on the boss efficiency.

Found this older thread, and appears the BOSS was once shown by Purolator as 99% @ 40u, but now shows it as 99% @ 25u. The links were broken in the post when the board software upgrade happened.

Also, this is from April 2016, so I guess the BOSS efficiency has been improved compared to what it initially was.

1625954750604.png

Last edited:

Interesting that the 98-100 graph highlights a drop off in efficiency for particle sizes past 30. Granted it's very small, Fram goes from 99.9% @ 30 microns to 98.8% @ 50 microns. Others had a similar (some more radical) drop off, even on the larger charts, is it an error margin?

Back