worst syth vs best dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Name Brand Synthetics always on sale.. somewhere... (Q Horsepower, Valvoline Synpower, Penzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 (with upcoming rebate), Castrol, even Napa Synthetic etc) prices come so close to some regular/high mileage dino oil....

I would take ANY of these "synthetics" over ANY regular dino. Haven't seen a VOA of Supertech recently, so cannot decide. But Supertech at $17.50, vs Q Horsepower at $18 at wally world.... I would splurge! Plus... don't really see other Synthetics than the ones I mentioned anyways!

Originally Posted By: nazareth
lmao. some of your bashing on supertech synthetic is hilarious. they are the same product as some of your highly reguarded over the counter oils. you know how much it would cost a company to make a formula for just walmart. they sale the same exact oil to walmart as they package its cheaper because there are no advertising costs. you guys need to do some real research on it. you be suprised what supertech synthetic really is. im not going to say because people will argue to no end. im not saying its as good as royal purple or amsoil or redline or schaefers . but its the same thing as a couple of the highly reguarded oils on here

i have had 3 vehicles that ive ran nothing but supertech synthetic. one withh 358k miles when i sold it still ran great
one that currently has 250k miles on it
and one with a 180k miles on it. all these vehicles have had zero motor issues. not even a timing belt or chain.

or maybe supertech is the oil basestock and additive package that doesnt make snuff, you know the garbage left over

Originally Posted By: BigNick
With Name Brand Synthetics always on sale.. somewhere... (Q Horsepower, Valvoline Synpower, Penzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 (with upcoming rebate), Castrol, even Napa Synthetic etc) prices come so close to some regular/high mileage dino oil....

I would take ANY of these "synthetics" over ANY regular dino. Haven't seen a VOA of Supertech recently, so cannot decide. But Supertech at $17.50, vs Q Horsepower at $18 at wally world.... I would splurge! Plus... don't really see other Synthetics than the ones I mentioned anyways!

Who makes NAPA synthetic??? I would think it would be the same place as Wal-mart is getting theirs from?

Originally Posted By: Bambam
Originally Posted By: BigNick

Who makes NAPA synthetic??? I would think it would be the same place as Wal-mart is getting theirs from?

From what I have seen on this site it is Valvoline.

napa oil are valvoline
But with a lighter additive package from what I have read here on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
napa oil are valvoline
But with a lighter additive package from what I have read here on BITOG.

If it's cheaper than the name brand I guess they have to skimp somewhere!
57.gif

Isn't SuperTech a Grp III?

Bottom line here, it's the synergy between the additive package and the base oil that makes a good oil. There are some fabulous Grp II+ based conventionals with the best additive packages that I think would outperform a bottom dollar syn, bended with the the least amount of the cheapest additives the blender can get by with. That's especially true if you use Grp III base oils as "synthetic."

Bear in Mind:

1) And I'm not saying SuperTech is bad oil, or good oi. I have not looked into it much and have no opinion.

2) I think Grp IIIs are fine but think there should be some way to differentiate between Grp III and Gps IV and V so you know what you are getting. IMO, "Semi-Synthetic" would be a good choice for a new category. It would offer a "bridge" pricing and quality category between conventional and the upper level syns.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Bottom line here, it's the synergy between the additive package and the base oil that makes a good oil.

True.

I would only add that you have to consider the application because that's what determines what's "good" in the first place. Even a mediocre synthetic will have SOME advantages over the best dino, and those advantages might make the synthetic a better choice in SOME applications (e.g. extreme temperatures, turbo). Likewise, a good dino oil might be a better choice in other applications.

Supertech is a brand name oil, just don't know who's. It would be cost prohibitive to create a new formula. There's an oil company that realizes they can sell more of their oil at a slightly lower price, but not have the incremental overhead of marketing/advertising. The UOA's on it that have been posted have been very good.

Most everyone on this board is very passionate about oil, and buying into the branding goes with that, along with short OCI's. In my daily driver (which is 80%hwy miles), I run supertech dino 10W30 at 6K change intervals (mostly because I am cheap). At 280K it burns less than 1 quart between changes (I never have to add any), the engine is clean as a whistle and runs as tight as it ever has. I plan on driving this car for a while...I don't think I will need to change to synthetic or a brand name to do that. That being said, I run synthetic in my wife's car (PP5W30) and change every 6K also. I guess branding has an effect on me too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back