worst syth vs best dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a general rule, are all sythetics better than all dino oils?

Any exceptions to the "rule"???

I am new to the site, but I have not seen any threads yet that talk about this.

I like that question. Anxious to hear the answer from some of the experts here.

I am no expert for sure but I would definitely take any synthetic( that I know of anyway - maybe there is some really bad stuff out there? )over any conventional oil I am aware of. Anyday of the week. I would even take WalMart Supertech over any conventional oil. JMO.

I'm no "expert" on the issue, and much of my knowledge is from reading on here and web searches. But provided they meet certain specifications set by authorities ,like the API, ACEA, ILSAC and JASO, etc., wouldn't it be safe to say they are at the very least of a certain standard?

I'm far from an expert as well, but I did buy Supertech Synthetic using this logic, as it was only about $2 more than most of the conventionals on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I'm no "expert" on the issue, and much of my knowledge is from reading on here and web searches. But provided they meet certain specifications set by authorities ,like the API, ACEA, ILSAC and JASO, etc., wouldn't it be safe to say they are at the very least of a certain standard?

Minimum standards yes. Oils can, and do however, exceed those standards and do so to varying degrees via different additive packs, base stocks, etc... There are synthetic oils like Supertech and then there are synthetic oils like Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Redline. While all synthetics I doubt anyone would put Supertech into the same class as those other 3. I sill say the lowest synthetic is a superior product to the highest level conventional. JMHO. The additive packs in some conventional oils may be a bit better than Supertech but overall when all aspects of oil are factored in the synthetic, IMO, is superior.

Last edited:
The best dino vs. the worst syn? arent't these the same thing really. I know industry accepts group3 as syn, but I would rather call it the best of mineral(dino) oil, and as far as syn oils go its the least of them right? The conditions also matter a great deal, if both used for 3-6 months, no difference, but go 1year+, who knows?

Meeting lab testing standards is one thing, making it to 5500 or 6k miles of city driving would be another. I'd trust some HD dino over supertech synthetic for the additives if i was trying to save money and skimp on maintenance I'd otherwise normally do...for example the mother in law paying you to do her oil changes and you keep the extra oil for yourself etc LoL

I think you have some good blends out there such as Motorcraft and Havolene that are hard to beat.

But for ultimate engine and gearing protection, I choose bio-synthetics.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I would even take WalMart Supertech over any conventional oil. JMO.

I would take any of the good, name band conventional oils over SuperTech synthetic.

For me that includes Havoline, Chevron Supereme, Pennzoil YB, Valvoline WB, and Motorcraft Syn Blend.

I can't bring myself to trust the no name, knock-off brands like Supertech. That's definitely a lowest bidder product, and I don't trust Wal-Mart (of all places) to specify stringent specs.

It's conceivable that you could have an awesome additive pack in a good dino oil, and a terrible additive pack in a synthetic. In such case, the only benefits of the synthetic would be physical characteristics, temperature stability, etc.

Practically, I don't see this happening. A synthetic is expensive by nature, so I can't imagine that any manufacturer would hamstring a synthetic with a poor additive pack.

However, I find it much easier to imagine that a synthetic might not be significantly better than than a good dino that is well suited to the application.

You could make an oil with the lowest grade group III (VI of 120), and one with the highest grade group II+ (VI of 119), stick the same additive packages in them, and get performance within the percent error of measurement. One would be called conventional, and the other synthetic.

I'm really unwilling to call any group III base oil a synthetic oil unless it has 135 or greater VI. That is the point the cold temperature performance and overall stability of the base oil really start to shine through. Other than that, it's just really good mineral oil.

What I said, just differntly so, and one would cost 2-3 times the other, but same thing really.

Schaeffers group II+ based conventional over SuperTech synthetic any day! Schaeffers is hard to beat overall. Not sure how they would compare pricewise, but I think the ST syn might be less costly.

has anyone seen any schaeffer's, royal purple. amsoil, redline oil wells or refining plants. these guys buy their base oil. would you care to bet they buy their add packs.

First, I want to thank everyone for their comments. This is great stuff!!! That said, it looks like most of you agree that synthetics generally beat the standard dino's. (Yeah, there could be the exception somewhere...but in general.....)

As for Walmart's synthetic...based on a friend's experience where the formula appears to have changed after a few years of using it (and did not like the way it came out the last time he used it).....I am hesitant to trust it.

Last edited:
lmao. some of your bashing on supertech synthetic is hilarious. they are the same product as some of your highly reguarded over the counter oils. you know how much it would cost a company to make a formula for just walmart. they sale the same exact oil to walmart as they package its cheaper because there are no advertising costs. you guys need to do some real research on it. you be suprised what supertech synthetic really is. im not going to say because people will argue to no end. im not saying its as good as royal purple or amsoil or redline or schaefers . but its the same thing as a couple of the highly reguarded oils on here

i have had 3 vehicles that ive ran nothing but supertech synthetic. one withh 358k miles when i sold it still ran great
one that currently has 250k miles on it
and one with a 180k miles on it. all these vehicles have had zero motor issues. not even a timing belt or chain.

Last edited:
I use the SuperTech 5W30 Synthetic in my Saturn, and change it every 4K miles.. I like it, I think It is worth it for this 15 year old car.. I would not put anything better in it tho, because it likes to burn 1QT every 2K miles (Thats good for a saturn!) Also you can thank the 4-5K rpms every day..(have to get up to 60 quick!!) I Dont think i will ever put Dino in it again, only because the rings liked to get gunked up, and makes burning worse. Now would i use this is a 2000 or up car? Most likely not, only because i would want to go to 5-6K miles, and not worry about the oil breaking down.

Last edited:
I am a synthetic oil fan and user. But I use conventional in my daily driver beater. I would take a good conventional over a [censored] synthetic any day. The add pack on a cheap oil weather conventional or syn is inferior to a quality add pack with a lesser base oil (conventional), which brings up the point if it is a cheap syn, is the base oil of the syn really a quality oil or rejects from the other big companies

Originally Posted By: nazareth
lmao. some of your bashing on supertech synthetic is hilarious. they are the same product as some of your highly reguarded over the counter oils. you know how much it would cost a company to make a formula for just walmart. they sale the same exact oil to walmart as they package its cheaper because there are no advertising costs. you guys need to do some real research on it. you be suprised what supertech synthetic really is. im not going to say because people will argue to no end. im not saying its as good as royal purple or amsoil or redline or schaefers . but its the same thing as a couple of the highly reguarded oils on here

i have had 3 vehicles that ive ran nothing but supertech synthetic. one withh 358k miles when i sold it still ran great
one that currently has 250k miles on it
and one with a 180k miles on it. all these vehicles have had zero motor issues. not even a timing belt or chain.

Yea, I'm sure Supertech is really top-shelf stuff. Their gear oils are great...

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001335088.cfm?x=bf54LFJ,b186n0qP,w

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back