Worst oil filter locations.

"When considering a new vehicle I always look under it for location and type of oil filter and drain plug for easy O.C.s."
Sure, we look for location and type of filter and drain plug but PREFER easy O.C.s.
None of us are going to buy a vehicle we hate just because it has easier access.

Like Reply
Some may .

Changing the filter on my 4.6 2v Mustang was always fun. Not terribly tight but side mounted above k member and always made a mess. Spent more time cleaning it up than I did changing it.

Ford Taurus with the 3.0 Duratec. Can’t get it out without laying your arm up against the exhaust pipe. Ford ranger with 3.0 Vulcan, not terrible to get to but can’t get it out without spilling oil everywhere usually.

Escape 1.6L Echoboost, is a fun one. You can barely get your hand up near it, to spin it off. It's facing the radiator, so some scrapes are a sure thing.

Most all 2011 and up Fusions have a shield. It’s never fun doing oil changes on them.
Discovered this with my wife's 2016 fusion, takes longer to take off and put the shield back on than changing the actual oil and filter. I've replaced a few of the fasteners too. I change it twice a year no more, don't like dealing with it.

New Mirages' not too friendly . Looked to be messy .
You looking at a base Mirage? Our Mitsu dealer in Stratham closed.
there is one out of state in Wilmington and one in Man Chest Hair.
I like buzzbimbs but its probably no YugoGV or Gen 1 Suzuki Sprint 3 banger.

Not lately . Test drove a few when they debuted . Both C.V.T. and 5 speed manual . Depreciate way too much . Now have better safety features .

Not lately . Test drove a few when they debuted . Both C.V.T. and 5 speed manual . Depreciate way too much . Now have better safety features .
Meant 2 with C.V.T. and 1 with 5 speed manual . Manual had good shifting and clutch engagement .

All the Honda engines with the filter mounted in the rear of the engine block.
On a 1st gen TSX with the mighty K24, it is even more of a pain. And a mess.
I love Hondas, but sheesh. What were they thinking?
Can attest to that; For the tsx, it not only drips down the engine block, but it will also get on the cv and intermediate axles. Don't even get me started if the filter is really stuck on there; poking it with a flat tip screwdriver will be the only way.

All the Honda engines with the filter mounted in the rear of the engine block.
On a 1st gen TSX with the mighty K24, it is even more of a pain. And a mess.
I love Hondas, but sheesh. What were they thinking?
Agreed. Hard to see/reach the filter and it ends up dumping oil all down the back of the engine block and everything below it.

The location of the oil filter on my 08 3.7L Liberty leaves a lot to the imagination. I cursed it the first oil/filter change I did.

The location of the oil filter on my 08 3.7L Liberty leaves a lot to the imagination. I cursed it the first oil/filter change I did.

Yup, we have a '12 3.7L Liberty in the fleet and it's a bugger! Even with the plastic bag trick it makes a mess. Before I start an oil change on that thing I always grab a can of engine cleaner and the pressure washer. Only way I've found to stop all the random dripping for a while.

Crap, that reminds me it's due for a change...

So I say the GM Lambda platform. Acadia, Traverse with the 3.6. Now I know that the filter is not too bad, and the drain plug is easy. However, the oil that drains from the filter/mount is a flipping pig mess. And don’t try to keep it somewhat neat. No. Just resign to the fact that you’ll use a whole can of brake cleaner to get it straight. I realize that it’s the most functional location, but the could have, at least, put a cover over the motor mount.

Back