Worst oil filter locations.

All the Honda engines with the filter mounted in the rear of the engine block.
On a 1st gen TSX with the mighty K24, it is even more of a pain. And a mess.
I love Hondas, but sheesh. What were they thinking?
Those are not bad at all if you use an oil deflector of some type.

The worst filter location that I have ever experienced was on a 2001 Altima with KA24DE. Owned it from new to about 2012. I suppose that would apply to all the 1st and 2nd gen Altima's through 2001. The KA24 engine was originally a longitudinally mounted rwd engine. ( trucks, 240sx) Nissan didn't do much to adapt it to transverse, fwd use. Filter was buried high on the back of engine. A very flexible arm and and an end cap wrench were required. No way to avoid oil spillage either.

Was it the GM 3.4 or the 3.8 that had the filter mounted on the passenger side towards the wheel well? hated that spot! And if I remember you had to reach your hand over a hot exhaust pipe (because of course GM would).

And I’ll tell yeah, I’m not a fan of Toyota’s oil filters/canisters. Took a lot of the fun out of my oil changes.

Here are a few previous threads on this subject:

Subaru offers the 'ring of fire', reach thru the cat/exhaust circle to get the filter. Great for a warm oil change and ongoing hot oil smell.
The Chevy Venture offered the drain down the front of the wiring harness and starter experience, if I remember correctly.

With my 89 Sierra it isn't the location that is bad, in fact it looks like it's very easy to get to but it's mounted horizontal right above the front drive shaft so it you aren't careful when you pull the filter off it will dump oil all over it. The bad is if it doesn't get cleaned off it slings it all over.

Subaru offers the 'ring of fire', reach thru the cat/exhaust circle to get the filter. Great for a warm oil change and ongoing hot oil smell.
The Chevy Venture offered the drain down the front of the wiring harness and starter experience, if I remember correctly.
I recall the Jag X or S being similar, drain oil into hoses and wire harness.

Subaru pic ripped off from another thread:

ax0p9DT.jpeg

The KA24 engine was originally a longitudinally mounted rwd engine. ( trucks, 240sx) Nissan didn't do much to adapt it to transverse, fwd use.

While I have no complaints about filter locations on any of my current cars, your mention of the compromised adapation from longitudinal to transversal reminds me of a similar issue.
The VW/Audi EA888 3rd gen seems to be designed for longitudinal position, however it's sitting transversally in a GTI and that's why the oil filler cap is on the back of the engine. Hard to fill in oil without making a mess. First car I need using a funnel and a rag for this simple task. However the oil filter is as easily accessible as it gets.

The old subaru EJ motors. With my wife being a lifetime Subaru girl, I learned to deal with that.
Just required an extension and the purchase of a cap wrench; then it was piece of cake.

Unless there car was just driven. A bit hot up there with cats and exhaust .
Now I know why quick oil change place kids seem irritated.

I will say the one that chewed up my forearms the most was a 1999 Mazda Protege with a 1.6 or 1.8L

The Filter was behind the engine, near the fire wall just below the large rams horn aluminum intake manifold.
There were all kinds of sharp edge brackets and hoses and harnesses around it. Absolutely abysmal.
That needed a extension and a cap wrench as well as well as some heavy turkey-tent aluminum foil to protect the hoses and components below. Terrible. Just a mess.

Another non favourite, though not nearly as bad, was my short box std. cab V6 Chevy Silverado W/T 4WD 5mt.
The filter was right above the front axle and the oil would drip and run all over the place.
So for this one I fashioned a disposable holiday turkey roasting pan to catch and channel and guide the oil to my rubbermaid drain pan. Sort of a pain to set up, but worth it to avoid a big mess.

All of these oil changes would be better accomplished on a lift, but I was rollin' shade tree on the tarmac.

- Ken

Late model Ram 5.7s are not much fun.

I was thinking that too having changed the oil on my 2019 classic a bunch of times, but it's not as bad as some of the above.

I also thought the Nissan VQ35's I've had were rough, but if you just pry your hand between the fender liner and subframe for access, they're not bad at all.

Late model Ram 5.7s are not much fun.
They suck to change the oil filter. For the three years I owned mine, never really found a way to avoid having oil drain all over the electric power steering unit. Early Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7's had a drain lip that directed oil in one clear location. Unfathomable why the genius Ram engineers didn't just use that on the Ram 5.7's.

ax0p9DT.jpeg
LOL! **** tier engineering like that is reason enough to avoid a vehicle (what else did they half-ass?)

Both of my current vehicles are top filters with super easy access.

They suck to change the oil filter. For the three years I owned mine, never really found a way to avoid having oil drain all over the electric power steering unit. Early Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7's had a drain lip that directed oil in one clear location. Unfathomable why the genius Ram engineers didn't just use that on the Ram 5.7's.
I wrap an old t shirt around the rack and place a quart freezer bag around the filter. Still makes some mess but I just throw the t shirt away

Back