Worst oil filter locations.

Toyota/Lexus 3.3L V6

under the front exhaust manifold.
Doh!!
I had a Lexus with the 3MZ and honestly to date thought that was the easiest oil filter removal process. Those had a drip gutter directly below the filter which made no mess and an easy drain straight down into the pan.

My VQ35 now is way worse, filter is mounted horizontally directly above the frame so I need to wrap tin foil under to try to funnel the oil into the pan...always works somewhat but not enough.

You looking at a base Mirage? Our Mitsu dealer in Stratham closed.
there is one out of state in Wilmington and one in Man Chest Hair.
I like buzzbimbs but its probably no YugoGV or Gen 1 Suzuki Sprint 3 banger.
Nope, one in Manchester has been gone for years now. There is one in S. Nashua, though.

Maserati 3.0 Twin turbo. Oil filter is on the front corner of the block at a 30° angle. Almost never failed to leave oil all over the place. When I got the car I thought it had a nasty oil leak.

Mini Cooper 2nd generation Turbocharged engine. Oil filter is canister mounted in a semi hard to get location close to top of engine . It’s is a challenge to unscrew the canister and not get oil all over . Lots of prep planning where to stuff rags to catch the oil.

Iam in the process of machining up a conversion adapter for use of better spin on oil filters.

Mini Cooper 2nd generation Turbocharged engine. Oil filter is canister mounted in a semi hard to get location close to top of engine . It’s is a challenge to unscrew the canister and not get oil all over . Lots of prep planning where to stuff rags to catch the oil.

Iam in the process of machining up a conversion adapter for use of better spin on oil filters.
After changing the oil and filter again I had it with R56 Turbo charged MINI COOPER S canister filter and all the mess it makes no matter how careful. So I dug out my CNC program for my Supercharged MINI and will be changing the thread pitch to match the Prince engine and make an adapter to use conventional spin on filters.

Attachments

• IMG_20210904_115446788_resize.jpg
    IMG_20210904_115446788_resize.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210904_115534967_resize.jpg
    IMG_20210904_115534967_resize.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210904_115550327_resize.jpg
    IMG_20210904_115550327_resize.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210904_115844451_resize.jpg
    IMG_20210904_115844451_resize.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 13
VW 1.8T in B5 and B5.5 Passat chassis. The access is not really that bad, but it leaks all over, and if you don't put tape over one of the subframe holes, it will spill into the subframe and stink forever. I tried Glad freezer bags, pre draining with a piercing awl, nothing seemed to be perfect.

After changing the oil and filter again I had it with R56 Turbo charged MINI COOPER S canister filter and all the mess it makes no matter how careful. So I dug out my CNC program for my Supercharged MINI and will be changing the thread pitch to match the Prince engine and make an adapter to use conventional spin on filters.
Spoken like a true enthusiast...

My 1997 Chevy Cavalier has is at the back of the engine above the drive axle. It's a real pain to get it off. Not sure of their reasoning. I'm guessing the engineer never changed their own oil.

The newer Dodge Rams with the filter above the steering rack makes a mess and it’s hard to reach with the vehicle on a lift and you can’t fit anything on there to loosen it either usually because of the location. I’ve gotten called over to help the lube tech guys several times because they couldn’t reach it or break it loose. They seem to always be seized on too.

And I hate it when the customer comes back because they think it’s leaking but it’s just dripping oil from the old one. We can’t bring anything into work like bags or anything so I usually put a bunch of rags on top everything to try to catch it. This is why I run when I see one coming because it might get assigned to me if the other guys are busy.

Even with the expansion tank removed? On my naturally aspirated N16 (no oil/coolant heat
exchanger) it isn't ideal but not that hard. Basically same filter location as N14 & N18 though.

At AAP some guy would buy a specific filter with a socket end, wish I could remember the make, he said he needed ratchet and extensions etc

Even with the expansion tank removed? On my naturally aspirated N16 (no oil/coolant heat
exchanger) it isn't ideal but not that hard. Basically same filter location as N14 & N18 though.
I originally needed to make an adapter to run all the remotes filters and coolers on my base block 1.6(now2.0) Super MINI Motor.... :geek:
adapter I machined is in the first picture.

Attachments

• P6078181editresize.jpg
    P6078181editresize.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 12
  • P6078182editresize.jpg
    P6078182editresize.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 12
  • P6078190editresize.jpg
    P6078190editresize.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 12
Back