Worst Fast Food Restaurants in America

Thanks. I did not know that level of info.

I've been to the one in Spokane and Olympia, some years back. OK. Not bad. Wife didn't like much, but some Asian people just don't like hamburgers and stuff, I get it. She's health chick.

Anyway, not so long ago stopped by the Olympia Sonic. I am not kidding - inside the bag just all one mushed pile of steamed stuff that might of been food, a couple weeks ago. We had driven off so just we just threw it away and got some food at the grocery store. Wife: "I told you!!" :LOL:

Been to ****'s in the Seattle area? Disgusting.

Years ago the wife and I went to a nearby Sonic that had just opened near Puyallup. It was busy as it was the latest big thing.

We felt the food was okay but not worth all the hype. Sounds like it’s been going downhill ever since.

I used to love McDonalds, Royal w/cheese, Big Mac, Fish sandwich and fries but I feel so horrible after eating there now, I don't get that with any other fast food places.

I do admit to eating Jimmy John's more than I should but love the #9 Italian Night Club and #7 Spicy East Coast Italian. Haven't went to Subway since JJ came to town.

Don't eat at Taco Bell much since they got rid of their Taco Salad, the bowls were very good.

I only eat the Potato O'lays and Taco John's, their meat taste horrible no matter if it's beef, chicken or steak.

Arby's Market Fresh Sandwich's are fairly good, the turkey ranch and bacon and the curly fries are alway good. Love the horsey and Arby's sauce. Roast beef is just ok.

Domino's has good cheesy bread but have never liked their pizza. We get the bone out chicken wings.

Our KFC is pretty good, extra crispy over original, the original does seem soggy, chicken pot pie and famous bowl aren't bad along with their chicken sandwich.

Hands down my favorite is Papa Murphy's, every other Tuesday we have their special, $10.99 for a five topping large, double beef, pepperoni, canadian bacon and black olives, glad to see they didn't make the list.

We never eat at Wendy's or Sonic and BK only when coupons come in the mail, their nuggets aren't bad for $2 but their burgers are "where's the beef".

I used to go thru a drive thru every work day but about 15 years ago I stopped and started eating lunch at home.

INO and CFA, as much as I disagree with their politics also don’t franchise, have tight control of their supply chains(In-N-Out grinds their own meat in Buena Park and Stockton, CA), all their stores are company owned and the families that founded them(Synder & Truett families) are still calling the shots at their headquarters, not disgruntled franchisees. And they actually treat their workers decent for fast food(INO pays above minimum wage in CA, CFA is closed on Sundays) as well.

McDonald’s and Starbucks comes close for standards and cleanliness, but the former is franchised. Jack in the Box had to take food safety seriously after the 1993 E. Coli outbreak they had that almost did them in. I hear more E. Coli and salmonella incidents with Safeway’s central meat processing plant in Tracy, CA than I do most fast food joints.

As a couple others have mentioned earlier, CFA is franchised. I happen to know this because I just recently read an article about the process for getting a CFA franchise.

Not being a coffee drinker, and also not into trendy places, I've never been to a Starbucks, so I can't speak to their standards. But I can say that McDonalds has by far the greatest range, from very good restaurants to absolutely raunchy. I've seen more of the raunchy than I have the good.

The best managed McDonald's I have ever been to is in Madisonville, KY. When I first moved to town, I was in awe that the lunch line at this franchise extended all the way around the building. A lot like a CFA, but not quite. So I tried it out. Yea, the food was good. And it was good every time I went there. The raunchy McDonald's I've seen are too many to list. But one in particular, in Bennettsville, SC, was so bad with rodents and insects that McDonalds's corporate made the franchise tear the building down and rebuild. Anyone who had ever visited that site should not have been surprised. The rodents and insects did not infest the building because they followed State and corporate health standards.

Not only does INO pay well above minimum wage, as you mention, but CFA does also. It doesn't take genius to realize that this is good for the company and good for the customer, as it allows them to be much more selective in the hiring process. (I love going to a restaurant where the employee can articulate a full sentence, make eye contact, remember that I am the customer, and treat me with kindness and dignity.)

I know you say you don't agree with, what you call the politics, at CFA and INA. (I personally admire both, for being willing to stand up for their beliefs, and not be bullied in this current society we live in. But that is a topic that I don't want to further, as it will get this discussion closed.) But I will say, I wonder if the values of CFA and INA is partly why they treat their employees as well as they do. It doesn't seem to be coincidental that both have similar values, and both have success driven by similar workplace standards.

In just five minutes I made a salad with romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cheese, mushrooms and dill ranch dressing. A hard boiled egg was chopped in as well.
Salads are of course easy to make. But many of us eat more than a salad for a meal.

Best fast food?

Indian buffet
20220914_113926.jpg

I used to love McDonalds, Royal w/cheese, Big Mac, Fish sandwich and fries but I feel so horrible after eating there now, I don't get that with any other fast food places.

Anyone who has worked in the Quality field, should be familiar with what the enemy of quality is. As Deming said, it is uncontrolled variation. McDonalds is a picture perfect case of that. Kroc started out understanding this. But he got so caught up in how to make fast food cheap, that he lost his way.

There are so many examples of variation within the fast food industry. All too often, I think I've found a new fast food joint that I like. Then I visit a different location and have a bad experience. That has recently happened to me with Firehouse Subs. Friends took me to a Firehouse Subs. I found I really liked it. Went there often for lunch with work friends. Recently, my daughter took me to a different location. Pretty mediocre. I wont be going back.

Anyone who has worked in the Quality field, should be familiar with what the enemy of quality is. As Deming said, it is uncontrolled variation. McDonalds is a picture perfect case of that. Kroc started out understanding this. But he got so caught up in how to make fast food cheap, that he lost his way.

There are so many examples of variation within the fast food industry. All too often, I think I've found a new fast food joint that I like. Then I visit a different location and have a bad experience. That has recently happened to me with Firehouse Subs. Friends took me to a Firehouse Subs. I found I really liked it. Went there often for lunch with work friends. Recently, my daughter took me to a different location. Pretty mediocre. I wont be going back.
with In-N-Out and CFA, their menus are simple and everyone knows the “secret” menu. Ditto with Chipotle. Places like McDonald’s have complex menus and regional differences(not just international ones) - but TikTok and influencers pushing the latest menu hack also make it difficult for them to keep quality standards high. Starbucks is a common target with influencers on TikTok as well.

With franchised restaurants, the licenser of that brand requires the licensee to buy ingredients from them to try to control that variable - but it’s up to the franchisee to uphold branding/prep/presentation standards. Subway is wildly variable - their franchisees have revolted against their promos.

with In-N-Out and CFA, their menus are simple and everyone knows the “secret” menu. Ditto with Chipotle. Places like McDonald’s have complex menus and regional differences(not just international ones) - but TikTok and influencers pushing the latest menu hack also make it difficult for them to keep quality standards high. Starbucks is a common target with influencers on TikTok as well.

With franchised restaurants, the licenser of that brand requires the licensee to buy ingredients from them to try to control that variable - but it’s up to the franchisee to uphold branding/prep/presentation standards. Subway is wildly variable - their franchisees have revolted against their promos.
The simple menu that INA adheres to absolutely has to help keep food fixed right. With so few ingredients, it allows them to prepare with fresh ingredients, as they do.

CFA has a much more detailed menu. They add and remove seasonal items, so in the sense of detailed menu options, they are very similar to other fast food joints.

For some reason in my area in Ohio, Burger King is the cheapest and there are coupons every week in the mail..
I had read that Burger King stopped sending coupons. I don't know for sure, I never got them where I live since the nearest BK is about 7 miles away.

When you get a good Popeye's, it's great. But the vast majority of restaurants i've visited have been run down, dirty, reusing old oil types of establishments.
Church’s around my neck of the woods is really bad, the local franchisee just doesn’t care about his stores. But their chicken(along with Popeye’s and dare I say it, Krispy Krunchy from a bodega/gas station) is up there - better than KFC who does have presentation and cleanliness standards.

Back