Worst Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had similar experiance with my Mom's 94 T Bird. It failed at only 28k but was over the time limit on the warranty so they would do NOTHING. They wouldn't even give a coupon for something off on a new Ford purchase. Ford deserves to be in the situation they're in now.
Quote:

I would like to nominate the ford/mercury 3.8L V6.

I bought my mother a '94 Lincoln Continental, the car had its oil changed regularly at 3000 miles, was treated gently by a retiree but the engine promptly expired at 71,000.

Later I found ford was covering up head gasket manufatcuring defect and in 2000 extended the arranty to 7yr 100,000mi. Of course the crooks I dealt with never admitted the problem.

No discussions with ford helped, their attitude was "it's past its warranty - your problem". I told them I have never seen and engine die at 70,000 miles - they keep whistling past warranty tune.

Asked around to see if anyone I know had problems with ford 3.8L found a colleague at work who had a ford Windstar engine go out at 65,000 mi - same tune from ford.

Will never buy a ford again!

How about the Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 that was put in almost every Chrysler vehicle made from the mid 80's to the early 90's. I think just about all of them blow oil smoke after 6 or 7 years. My mom's old van had the valve guides replaced after 5 years due to the ridiculous amount of blue smoke every startup. My buddy's Raider (Montero in disguise) did the same thing, as well as my sister's Labaron. I'm sure anyone who pays attention while driving can recently recall being behind a Caravan and getting a lungful of burnt oil.

Quote:

How about the Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 that was put in almost every Chrysler vehicle made from the mid 80's to the early 90's. I think just about all of them blow oil smoke after 6 or 7 years.

I think this is true, so much so that an older Mitsubishi that doesn't smoke is unusual.

But the engines themselves seem to last a long time, if you can tolerate the burning oil and keep it topped up.

Quote:

How about the Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 that was put in almost every Chrysler vehicle made from the mid 80's to the early 90's. I think just about all of them blow oil smoke after 6 or 7 years.

There has been a fix for this around for years. 91 and up had the updates from the factory.

Quote:

Chrysler 2.7L. I have seen a number of Intrepids and other Chrysler vehicles with this engine billowing smoke from the exhaust.

I had an '03 Stratus with the 2.7L that was a screamer...that thing would move, and it never had any mechanical problems. Of course, we traded it at 50K so I don't know what would've happened eventually.

Quote:

I'm sure anyone who pays attention while driving can recently recall being behind a Caravan and getting a lungful of burnt oil.

As a matter of fact, yes, I notice this all the time. Never owned one, but I know what you're talking about.
crushedcar.gif

I'm curious about the Chrysler 2.7L. I know it has sludge issues, but why? Is there a known fix? If a diligent BITOG'er owned the car, is there a regimen that can be followed, (synthetic oil at frequent OCI?) that can be followed to prevent problems?

I'm curious because I could see one of these cars in my future, but I need to know if it's a manageable problem or if it's not.

Chrysler 2.7L DOHC 24V: I suspect its a cylinder head temperature issue.

If you want to avoid the issue altogether just get the 3.5L SOHC 24V. Its a better engine for the big RWD 300/Magnum/Charger anyway and will make the new Sebring a Hot Rod.

Yes, I used to own a 300M. That 3.5L is awesome. Many times I regret getting rid of that car. I replaced it with a convertible Mustang with the 4.6L V8, but the 3.5L Chrysler was actually "more fun". Oh well...

On the other hand, I have 5 kids and the oldest is learning to drive right now. So I'm curious as to the Stratus level of vehicle... I see a lot of used cars on the market with the 2.7L.

Quote:

Chrysler 2.7L. I have seen a number of Intrepids and other Chrysler vehicles with this engine billowing smoke from the exhaust.

Agreed. Note that I have one right now with almost 273,000 KM (approaching 170K miles) and have never really had a problem with it. No smoke; uses maybe a quart of oil every 4000 miles; fantastic gas mileage; runs like new.

But, mine is an exception. Too many of these have self-destructed due to sludge related problems (failed timing chain tensioner -> broken chain -> 24 smashed valves) or spun bearings. I will be replacing all 3 of my chains/tensioners plus the internal water pump soon, as a preventive measure. Most people say I'm on borrowed time.

Interesting, the 3.5L has a timing belt but the 2.7L has chains... on the 3.5L it's recommended to change the belt at 90K miles.

>> But, mine is an exception.

Maybe you just had good luck, but maybe you're a BITOG'er who really takes good care of stuff. What have you done for this one?

Quote:

I'm curious about the Chrysler 2.7L. I know it has sludge issues, but why? Is there a known fix? If a diligent BITOG'er owned the car, is there a regimen that can be followed, (synthetic oil at frequent OCI?) that can be followed to prevent problems?

I'm curious because I could see one of these cars in my future, but I need to know if it's a manageable problem or if it's not.

From the research I did when I had mine, the problem was supposedly resolved by the end of the '02 model year. Mine was an '03, thankfully. And I think it had something to do with valve design or valve clearance, but I can't remember for sure.

Quote:

I have to go with the Vega engine,followed VERY closely by the Cadillac HT4100.

I was thinking Vega before I even opened the thread.
I was working at a Cadillac dealer in the mid-80's, main problem with the HT4100 was that they were leakers, big time. Oil everywhere. Oh, and almost no power, so that makes two problems. Also had these funky little inserts in the corners of the intake manifold that you (or the factory) had to get in just right or it would leak. On the Caddy forums they recommend 15w-40 for these engines to keep them happy.

Quote:

I would like to nominate the ford/mercury 3.8L V6.

I also owned a '91 Continental with the 3.8, sold it at 152k and it still ran like a top although a head gasket expired at about 115k. The dealer service tech said he was surprised it lasted that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back