Worst accidents while working on the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bleeding the clutch slave cylinder under my MG I had neglected to put on safety goggles, and while I was under it the hose slipped off the nipple, flinging some brake fluid into my eye. Hurt like heck, so I grabbed the can of brake fluid as I ran to the kitchen, flushing my one eye with water while reading the label with the other eye, and seeing where it says "In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek medical attention". Oh boy. Called the poison control center to clarify if that really meant get myself to the ER right away, but they assured me that flushing with water for several minutes would be sufficient, unless things get worse. Eye was red for a couple hours but no problems after that. I don't work on the car without safety goggles now; even the rust flakes and dirt falling off the underside can get in the eyes.

Pulling the engine out of the same MG to put a new clutch in it, I was using a come-along to hoist the engine. Bad idea. A buddy of mine was letting the engine down slowly, and I was just about to get the stands to put the engine on when the cheap come-along let go of both ratchets at the same time, dropping the engine about 2 feet onto the concrete. Narrowly missed my foot, and the only damage was flattening one corner of the oil pan slightly. Fortunately, this was coming out of the car and not going back in, but I rented an engine hoist to put it back in and threw the come-along in the trash.

Remind me to stay clear of some of you guys.

I've rarely been injured while working on a vehicle. I've burned my hand a few times and my leg once on hot exhausts. Have a scar for the one on the leg.

I've done my fair share of bleeding, crying, and sweating over (and under) a vehicle. Had a manual transmission lay on my chest while I was laying on the grass in my buddy's yard once. The neat thing there was it was after a rain storm and I was in 2 inches of water at the time, at night, in the Florida summer, with more bugs crawling on me than I want to think about.

I had a jack fail once while I was under a truck, but it failed slower than I could move. The same buddy grabbed my leg and yanked me out from under the truck as it was coming down. I wasn't sure if I was more impressed with his quickness or if it was the fact he could drag a big guy like me. Adrenaline will make a world of difference, I suppose.

Originally Posted By: PeteTheFarmer
Mine's a sprayed with gasoline fuel filter story too, although mine happened after the new filter was put on. This was a model where the fuel filter was near the gas tank and the filter came with a rubber hose to slip over the metal fuel line. I didn't put it on all the way, had someone start the car, and got a face full. I should have figured out beforehand that the hose had to go all the way to the flange on the fuel line.

I haven't figured out a way to change the fuel filter on my truck without getting at least some gas on me. I take the fuel pump fuse out before hand and run it till it dies, but there's always still gas in the line and the filter is on the frame rail. At least the quick disconnects make the job fast/easy.

My other accidents have just been a couple of nasty cuts, bruises, burns, and the occasional chemical to the eye.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
working on van at dealership, coworker pulled in another van on hoist next to me and proceded to raise on hoist, I was half in the passenger side door with legs on floor working on engine , got up and went to toolbox in front of van to get something and heard holy xxxxx, van fell off hoist sideways to floor taking off passenger door of van I was working on, would have cut me in half.
where I work now we have had a full size school bus fall off a hoist and another bus go completely through the brick garage wall,I was not involved in these incidents

OK, I just have to know - How does your shop explain these incidents to the customer?

A screwdriver that slips, and goes up the nose always gets your attention, and is a better wake-me-up than coffee. It's amazing how much blood will come out after something like that happens.

While not car related, I once got very strong/concentrated Sodium Hydroxide (also known as lye, and used in drain cleaner) in my eye when it splashed into it. My pool has an electrolysis chlorine generator, and I was draining it for winter. I also had to wear the special flush contact in the ER.

BTW, nothing against acid, but caustic lye is way worse in the eye, believe it or not. Something to do with how the mucus membranes absorb bases more than acids, so it's harder to flush out....All I know is lye in the eye probably compares to having a fork stuck in it for pain.

wow,worst thing i had happen to me was the front wheel came off my high school hot rod after i put an engine in it. i had the wheels off to lower the front of the truck for the hoist. luckily i found the wheel in the woods and used a lugnut off the the other wheels and made it to school.

The fuel filter seems to be a recurring source of problems. Mine got me with a jet of gasoline to the face, and in my attempt to get out of the way, my right arm got caught on the axle and pulled out of its socket. I popped it back in right there. It sounds gruesome, but my double jointed shoulders make it easy-out, easy-in. That said, it hurt like crazy and I don't ever want to dislocate a joint that far again.

The other close call was when I was using a screwdriver to pry a body panel out while using a grinder to remove some rust. The grinder caught the screwdriver and sent it straight at my right eye. Fortunately, I was wearing glasses. Since that incident, I keep special shop glasses with side shields.

" OK, I just have to know - How does your shop explain these incidents to the customer?"

well the van incident was back in 1980 so I dont remember, but the one van was totalled the other just needed a door, this was a ford dealer so they probabbly just replaced the one vehicle.
the bus falling off the hoist was where I have worked for 27 years and we are a private school bus contractor so it was between the boss and employee, no, he did not get fired nor did the guy who drove one through the wall,
I forgot to mention the one that went through the wall smashed my toolbox and the chair I usually sit on in the garage to do paperwork!!

Last edited:
Many years ago when I worked as an auto mechanic, I took a customers car, a 80's Grand Prix, out for a test drive and wrecked it. Wasn't my fault, but I wasn't wearing the seat belt. Bent the steering wheel and busted the windshield with my head, so I was hurting. I was doing about 45 and some kids cutting class with their aunts brand new Trans Am decide to turn left in front of me at the last second. Hit them head on, both cars totaled. Should have seen the owners face when they came to pick up the car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back