Work boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own two pair (diff colors) of Ariat Workhog safety toe boots. Prefer square toe, but they are available in round toe.

Ariat Workhog Boot

I bought the first pair after noticing a lot of guys wearing them in the oil and gas industry in South Texas. Everyone said they were the most comfortable work boot they had owned. I wear them when I work part-time on jobsites.

The sole is very durable and the middle layer construction can be almost described like an athletic shoe. Very comfortable walking over concrete all day.

The removable inner sole are thicker with more support and cushion then most shoes/boots. I have not yet had to replace those yet. When I do, I will try the Red Wing Moldable inserts you recommend.

My newer pair cleans up well and I actually wear them outside of work. I've worn them all weekend long on a mini-vacation to a Six Flags theme park (miles of walking all day) and zero foot/back fatigue. Plus I've been up and down the San Antonio Riverwalk for a weekend wearing them with zero discomfort. They wear like a non-work boot, they are so comfortable.

Are the made in America? No. Is it an American company, employing American designers, marketers, accountants, warehouse employees etc etc? Yes.

I had not purchased a "western" style boot for 15 years prior to the Ariats, so I was disappointed when many of the boot brands now are manufactured overseas.

The boots I wear at my full time job are Worx (by Red wing).

Worx by Red Wing

A lot of guys in my dept wear them and at about $100, they can be beat. Their comfort is excellent. I wear them every 3rd when I'm on shift, all day long unless I'm sleeping st night between calls.

Great durability and excellent comfort.

Others in my dept with extra $ to spend buy Hiax boots (German) and swear by them.

If you have the scratch to spend, the custom boots the OP spoke of that can be re-soled may be a great option.

Let us know what you decide on.

Originally Posted By: torino351
I have used redwings with good results. make sure your feet are measured correctly. What I have found that also helps is the Dr. Scholls inserts. the one where you stand on the machine and it tells you what to get. It made an amazing difference with lower back pain. If you are on concrete you do not want the logger style boot. they are for uneven surfaces.

That is what I hear about loggers a lot, but I felt great in them once I got used to walking in them. Arch support was great, and helped my lower back pain quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: afoulk
I have a pair of redwing 877's I wear everyday outside of work and love them.

If you can wear 877's, you got some very tough feet. If you can wear those, you can wear anything.

Believe me, break in is murder, but once the leather/ cork clothes conforms to your foot, they feel great, especially with some thick socks, and they're so lite. Oiling them with redwings boot oil (mink oil and pine pitch) really helped too. I will admit, they aren't like walking on a pillow, but they are better than a lot of others I've tried. However, the soles wear out so quick, I'm not even gonna consider them for work. I've had them 6 months now and the tread on my heels and at the balls of my feet are pretty much bald. But man do they look good. I wanted something old school for outside of work, something with a leather and cork foot bed, just to see what boots were like back in the day. I figured it couldn't be to bad if everyone raves about whites and Nicks custom boots, as they use leather footbeds as well, and don't have a cushy outsole like the 877's. I think the boot conforming to your foot and not allowing much movement actually helps.

Last edited:
Just wanted to update this for anyone else who may be interested. I went with a pair of thorogood boots, specifically their 8in, plain toe, wedge sole boot. I love them, feel like I'm walking in pillows, and for the $140 I paid for them, I feel their worth it. My only gripes are I wish the leather were heavier and the hooks and eyelets don't seem on par with the hardware in my redwing 877's. All reviews I read in these boots, everyone raves about how there is little to no break in time involved with these. That's because they use a lighter weight leather, how ever I think they will hold up just fine. I gripe about the thinner leather though as I like a 8in boot for the extra ankle support, and it doesn't feel as good in these as it does my red wings. But they are very comfortable after putting my insole of choice in them for better arch support, and after a month of wear, I think thorogood version of the wedge sole will last 2 to 3 times longer than redwings. I comparing them to my redwings of a similar style, both are American made, but the redwings are definitely better quality, but, not as comfy, and cost almost twice as much. I like them so much, I just ordered a pair of their roofer boots with the same sole for wear outside of work and will save the 877's for casual events and for wearing when the mood strikes me. In the end, I recommend these for anyone spending long days walking or standing on concrete, or anyone who likes the look of a wedge sole boot, but is worried about the sole wearing out in 6 months to a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back