Woolwax for inside rocker panels, etc?

For a rocker panel and hidden un accessible body panel voids I would go with 3m cavity wax and their wand kit or something similar used in auto body repair. I just welded in new rockers in a Silverado and that is what I decided to use because I thought there is more research and OEM type approvals behind some of those products. The cost might be the only issue since the wand kit and each can is about 20 dollars each.

I'm curious, you guys using WW or FF on the undercarriage, how do you find working under the car? Say doing suspension or exhaust work?

I think techs around here prefer messy undercoating to rusted and broken bolts, rust in the eyes, etc.

It can be messy but its better than rust and frozen bolts. Price you have to pay for living in the rust belt.
I live in the rust belt. There are products that I've used that aren't nearly as messy, and do a fantastic job protecting my vehicles. They're a lot more money, but I'm OK with that.

What are they?
Cortec VpCI-368. @Trav had turned me onto it a few years back. The salt spray test results were impressive, it creeps and doesn't leave an oozing mess once it sets up. It wasn't cheap, but imo well worth the money. Like any of these coatings it must be touched up or re-coated as needed. I bought 5 gallons of it.

FF builds up a sand and soot layer that hides problems. Like rusting GM brake lines.

Attachments

• 20191210_150049.jpg
    20191210_150049.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 124
I'm curious, you guys using WW or FF on the undercarriage, how do you find working under the car? Say doing suspension or exhaust work?
I had to do some suspension work and fuel line replacement on the civic this summer. Car is treated with FF. I got covered in it. It's a trade off for reducing rust. Fuel lines were rusty before without removal of the plastic cage on the car.

I had to do some suspension work and fuel line replacement on the civic this summer. Car is treated with FF. I got covered in it. It's a trade off for reducing rust. Fuel lines were rusty before without removal of the plastic cage on the car.
I hear ya, the stuff I use is a bit more mechanic friendly. I don't get covered in it doing that type of work, and it does a fantastic job preventing rust.

Reactions: JC1
Noxudol 700 is amazing in rocker and inside panels. This is the stuff that all others are measured, it really works like you hoped it would.
This is a 3 can deal with a wand, I usually use the litre cans in the gun with wands.

Attachments

• rusttest_noxudol_700_classic_monthly_uk_1.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
Perhaps I spray too sparingly, but I’ve not had issues with so much grit and dirt. Some (sand especially) sticking to surfaces? Yes.

High wash areas generally lose their coating. No wash exterior locations I’ve been fairly pleased with a light coating of FF/woolwax. But light is key, I’ve even applied with a brush or rag on specific spots (e.g., bolts and things) and have seen it last many years without getting gritty or dirty.

FF builds up a sand and soot layer that hides problems. Like rusting GM brake lines.
This is why I pressure wash regular spring and fall, before reapplying more undercoating. I also took as much as possible down to bare metal every few years on my 83 Caprice and the frame was like new when I sold it.

I plan to do the same with my 05 Silverado. The 84 Cutlass doesn't see winter anymore so I'm not as fussy with undercoating. I still do it every few years and pressure wash underneath in the fall and several times in the spring when salt us still on our roads.

something i tried fwiw, i mixed used motor oil with some grease left over from a job at work , and mixed to like a ketsup consistancy , and brushed and sprayed on , i believe it works really well

I'm sure that works too, but I've found that cold body panels and cold air still work against you.
I was looking at my 2005 Ram Dually 4 door, the rocker panel has an inner divider, so there are 2 cavities. If you spray only using the taped over holes under the car, you get the inner rocker panel cavity. There no holes I see for the outer rock cavity. I think people drill holes on the outer edge of the rocker bottom for that., or maybe you can go in from the ends, dont know. if you use your finger you can feel the divider inside using the taped over holes.

Reactions: JTK
This is why I pressure wash regular spring and fall, before reapplying more undercoating. I also took as much as possible down to bare metal every few years on my 83 Caprice and the frame was like new when I sold it.

I plan to do the same with my 05 Silverado. The 84 Cutlass doesn't see winter anymore so I'm not as fussy with undercoating. I still do it every few years and pressure wash underneath in the fall and several times in the spring when salt us still on our roads.
This is how I do it as well, I don’t keep piling it on. Spray it off and have a look at what’s going on the apply again.

Back