WM oil aisle, revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time i visited my Wal Mart oil aisle, it was chaotic and in transition. Today, i got a little better picture. Seems to be fewer choices overall. It appears that 5w/20 motor oils are getting eliminated in many instances. QSUD 5w/20 was on clearance. In addition, 10w/30 seems to be going by the wayside. There were no 5 qt jugs of PYB on the shelfe nor any place for it. Is this a reflection of auto manufacturers drifting back to 30 wt oils (vs 20 wts) and customer acceptance of 5w/30 in full size pickups?

Originally Posted By: otis24
In addition, 10w/30 seems to be going by the wayside.

I've noticed that too. The 10W-30 don't jump out at me like it used to.

Now days the shelves are loaded up with 5W-30.

I actually think that the drift away from 5W-20 is a reaction to the relatively low number of manufacturers that recommend it (the only ones that come to mind are the majority of Fords and some Chryslers). There is, however, an extremely fast growing number of manufacturers recommending 0w20 -- i.e. pretty much every naturally aspirated engine from Asia. I was in the Walmart isle today and they have grown their 0w20 selection exponentially from just a few years ago.
They had:
QS 0w20
Mobil 1 0w20 AFE and EP
Castrol Edge (black bottle) 0w20
Valvoline Synpower 0w20
Pennz Platinum 0w20
Mobil Super Synthetic 0w20
and even Royal Purple 0w20

Therefore, I believe there is a low demand for conventional 5w20, while a very large demand for synthetic 0w20. It makes sense that more people opt for the 0w (if you are a DIYer I would bet you know you can run a 0w20 in a 5w20 engine)

Is this a reflection of auto manufacturers drifting back to 30 wt oils (vs 20 wts) and customer acceptance of 5w/30 in full size pickups?

What's on the Walmart shelf in South Dakota is a reflection of preferences and beliefs in that area.

Auto manufacturers drifting back to 30wt. I don't think so.

I know that GM wanted a "global" oil (i.e. 5w/30) where they had previously been going towards 5w/20. They wanted one oil for all vehicles. Guessing that with their push for Dexos approval, it was easier to have one oil.

I did notice the growth of 0w/20 offerings. If my previous vehicle wasnt high mileage and my new vehicle didnt consume 1 qt per 1k miles, i would opt for an 0w/20. I am looking for cheaper alternatives for the old van and an oil that reduces consumption in the new van.

While each individual walmart might be only as good as their manager... the choice of what is on the shelf is walmart's specialty. It is tough to say if there is a better company that is tracking purchases better than Walmart. I know some rural areas that put all the Valvoline Nextgen on clearance while it was fine elsewhere. Walmarts know what sells and will not waste shelf-space on what does not.

Yeah, I picked up a lot of non-SN 5w20 oil that was on "sale". Actually, there was some 10w40, PP, and some 0w30 M1 AFE on sale as well.

I have a feeling that Walmart was culling the "SL" labeled "high mileage" oils and reducing the low sellers while maximizing those that were selling. The reason I say this is that I was able to pick up some QS Defy in two different states for $13 per 5qt jugs with different regional dynamics. I also saw the Mobil Super 5000HM and even Pennz HM.

Yes, many times I've gone to Wal-Mart here and the shelves have been bare on popular brands. It makes sense for them to have less choices and "more" on the shelf of popular brands.

I have one Ford and one Chrysler which both are recommended at 5w-20.

I run the dexos approved Pennzoil 5w-30 synthetic blend in both. I just wasn't impressed with 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I run the dexos approved Pennzoil 5w-30 synthetic blend in both. I just wasn't impressed with 5w-20.

KIA / Hyundai push 5w20 like some kind of CAFE Nazi's also. I too haven't been all that impressed with it. Since they allow 5w30 I'm switching to it, at least during the warm months.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Is this a reflection of auto manufacturers drifting back to 30 wt oils (vs 20 wts) and customer acceptance of 5w/30 in full size pickups?

What's on the Walmart shelf in South Dakota is a reflection of preferences and beliefs in that area.

This^^^ If anything the trend might be the other way considering 0w16 is on its way.

Go to Walmart and the chances of you finding the oil you want in stock is slim to none.

Go to Pep Boys and they have every oil under the rainbow in stock for $10 more per bottle.

You want your low price AND have the oil available ?

Not gonna happen with Walmart.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Go to Walmart and the chances of you finding the oil you want in stock is slim to none.

Go to Pep Boys and they have every oil under the rainbow in stock for $10 more per bottle.

33.gif

All depends on the walmart, here everything is always available...expect PU

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

KIA / Hyundai push 5w20 like some kind of CAFE Nazi's also. I too haven't been all that impressed with it. Since they allow 5w30 I'm switching to it, at least during the warm months.

same here, will be switching to 5w30, way too noisy with 5w20.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

33.gif

All depends on the walmart, here everything is always available...expect PU

The WalMart in Battle Creek had plenty of PU in the 5-quart jugs a couple of weeks ago. That is, until I cleaned out all the 5w30.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

:fallsoffchair:

I agree with turtlevette

especially now they are redesigning components to live with thinner stuff.

I'm just happy to see mine started selling Maxlife synthetic. I'll be running that in my wife's explorer and might even try it in my scion after I give edge gold bottle a try. They have priced almost all the synthetics at $25 and some change now as well, and all convetionals are about the same price too. I did see they now carry castrol edge 0w20 too, never saw that before. The new PP seems to get the most shelf space of all the oils. Lots of Royal Purple in 5qt jugs and even their diesel engine oil in gallon jugs, but considering what their priced at, I don't forsee either one selling to well.

Competitive pressure is pushing Walmart to pull stuff that doesn't sell well enough. Over time, their will be just 0w16, 0w20, and 5w30 on the shelves...And Mobil 1 0w40, of course.

33.gif

Just find out when the restocking day is. The local one here seems to get the oil back on the shelves Monday evening. On a weekend? Forget it. Seems like the best seller around here is the PP 0w-20. Always out of stock, it seems while the others have plenty of inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back