WIX XP

Maybe you should scroll back up to post #12 and read the comment suggesting a Fram filter...... glad you found my response as to why I choose to not use a Fram 🤦‍♂️ Just in case you can't find it and need a reminder.....
Post #12 was just a friendly suggestion - typical BITOG. Your answer instead, was an angry rebuttal to the aforementioned post - Typical BITOG.

Post #12 was just a friendly suggestion - typical BITOG. Your answer instead, was an angry rebuttal to the aforementioned post - Typical BITOG.
"Angry Rebuttal".....HaHa Telling exactly what my experience was that turned me off from using Fram was an "angry rebuttal".
So now that I pointed out to you that I ONLY mentioned Fram when it was mentioned to me, I've gone from a rogue "Fram Basher" to an "Angry Rebuttalist" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

To end this thread, I'll just say I decided to buy and go with something totally off thread topic, a Royal Purple 20-500 (the correct one recommended for my vehicle by RP). Haven't read anything bad about them.

Which Motorcraft is specified for that engine? And why not just go with Motorcraft?
The FL-500S. I just wanted to go with a full synthetic media and superior filtering vs the standard 500s. After all the research, I've realized it came down to either the Fram Ultra or something just as good with great reviews, so y'all knowing the reason I don't prefer Fram, I chose the RP. Can get both at Wally World. The RP is $3 more though.

Made by the same corporation.
I didn't know that, who makes them ?......I guess then it's kinda like GM and Chevy are made by the same corporation, but people still prefer one to the other. 🤷‍♂️

90% of oil filters are made by two corporations now.
First Brands makes Fram and Champion Labs filters.

Mann &Hummel makes Purolator and Wix.

So if you don’t like Fram, that K&N will really make you happy as that is a Champ filter.

The FL-500S. I just wanted to go with a full synthetic media and superior filtering vs the standard 500s. After all the research, I've realized it came down to either the Fram Ultra or something just as good with great reviews, so y'all knowing the reason I don't prefer Fram, I chose the RP. Can get both at Wally World. The RP is $3 more though.
The RP is rated at 99% @ 25u efficiency, so not quite as efficient as some high end synthetic filters, but still good.
  • ß25 = 100 (at 25 or greater micron, media is 99% efficient.)
  • ß20 = 75 (at 20 or greater micron, media is 98.7% efficient. Also considered absolute rating.)
  • ß10 = 5 (at 10 micron or greater, media is 80% efficient.)

It's too bad that decades old experiences gets in the way sometimes and never lets people see the current state of affairs.
That is so true with so many products, brand names, etc. I guess it will always be that way to some degree.

One that comes to my mind is good ole Pennzoil. -in those hated yellow bottles !! Way way way back in late 1971 I attended a Chevrolet Division School at the GM Tech Training Center in San Leandro CA. Anyway, apparently Chevy was having a significant number of engine failures, especially on new cars. It happened mostly during hot weather at freeway speeds. The oil red light came on, and the damage was done. Disassembly of the engine revealed that the oil had "gelled up" -as in turned into grease !! -which the oil pump couldn't pump. As I remember they found it was due to catastrophic failure of the particular Viscosity Improver additives used in certain oils. -I think it was always 10W40, and guess the brand name of oil found in those Chevy dealership service departments: YUP, that yellow brand. I can still visualize those big yellow logos on all lube equipment, 55 gallon drums, etc. Pennzoil was obviously the corporate level contracted supplier at that time. So, needless to say, for many many years, 10W40 was the "cursed poison" for your engine, and Pennz was the most hated brand.
Now look at their product: As a major leader in the "gas to liquid" technology, they apparently have among the best oils in that category.

Now, about Fram. Sure, they made a lot of "economy" oil filters. -most of which served their purpose just fine. (as a low income young family man, I used dozens of them in our family vehicles for many years).
Many other brand names made (and still make) the exact same economy oil filters.
Would you really expect the cheapest economy version of any product/brand to be equal to the upper levels ??
As it turns out, the "upper shelf" Fram filters are in fact identical to some several other brands. (-read on,,,,)

As a rather interesting, and certainly very educational project about 6 years ago, I dissected literally dozens of different brands (and quality levels with those brands) of new oil filters. (all for only one engine/vehicle application, thus "apples to apples"). And I can show you several other brands of filters that used the exact same "economy" design. -two that come to mind immediately are the economy STP, and the base line AC Delco. In that display are very high quality "Fram" filters, identical to other "respected" brand's upper level filters.

It is well to remember that almost with no exception, there is only a very small number of companies actually manufacturing the hundreds of different brands of filters. (One of the largest is Champion Labs.) So no matter what color the cans, or the names and numbers on them, you can be assured that they are all made to a particular design specification per the contract with whatever brand name company they are manufacturing them for. And be assured, they have a good number of "standard off the shelf designs" already engineered and ready to be turned out by the thousands. -thus I have examples of the EXACT SAME filter with many totally different brand names. -even OEM parts.

Hope that doesn't "hurt the brain" too much. Not brag, not boast, not even Ego, and certainly not BS.
Just the facts. And PLEASE understand, in no way shape or form am I making light of anyone's misfortune. Stuff happens.

Just two examples of "brand names" with a past of some legitimate failures which history will never forget.
It sure doesn't mean they aren't making good products now.

90% of oil filters are made by two corporations now.
First Brands makes Fram and Champion Labs filters.

Mann &Hummel makes Purolator and Wix.

So if you don’t like Fram, that K&N will really make you happy as that is a Champ filter.
The K&N Silver isn't made by Champ.

Well … as a can cutter myself I was thinking my AC Delco filters were landing between an orange and gold can Fram. Always thought my Wix XP’s had a better (metal) PRV than Fram or ACD … but just not as good on micron cut.
Then on the bubble point tests I see an ACD leak at the seam and that “superior” metal PRV leaking.

I’m back to thinking the Fram Ultra is still the best bang for the buck … RP and Amsoil are just too $$

To end this thread, I'll just say I decided to buy and go with something totally off thread topic, a Royal Purple 20-500 (the correct one recommended for my vehicle by RP). Haven't read anything bad about them.
This is an RP 20-500 next to an ACD PF63E (Tahoe 5.3L) … ran the RP for two OCI’s and the ACD for one.
Most OCI’s are around 6k or so on that vehicle

86240D35-5659-417A-B1D5-A15AECD1B1AE.jpeg

Its a mystery, some company in China is all anyone knows. They are pretty decent still though for those that are that way inclined...

They do have a few plants in China.

Back