WIX XP Question…

I have a 2002 F150 with 4.6L and 220k miles on it. I am religious with the OCI every 4k miles and use Pennzoil PUP 5w20 paired with an WIX XP oil filter. My question is, am I just throwing away filters that can last longer than my 4k mile OCI? I’ve read that WIX XP’s are great for extended OCI’s. I use the same oil filter in my wife’s Cruze 1.4T as well (OCI every 7,500 miles).

XP interval is extended on account of its pathetic efficiency. Rather than try to get more miles out of the XP I’d swap to a regular Wix, Fram Ultra or Microgard Select.
Can you elaborate on the “pathetic efficiency” part? I’m interested to know what that means

Nope, Wix=Napa Gold, Wix XP=Napa Platinum.

It’s your money, but for 4k intervals I’d run a plain Wix or even a Supertech filter and save a few bucks.
That’s good to know actually! I ram the XP just because my engine has 220k miles on it and just wanted the extra protection. I’ll look at the others you mentioned

Can you elaborate on the “pathetic efficiency” part? I’m interested to know what that means
The XP filter allows smaller micron particles to pass through its filter material, whereas the standard Wix or NAPA Gold filter material captures or stops many of those smaller particles. Therefore, the Wix or NAPA Gold filters (the same) are more efficient at stopping or filtering those smaller particles.

Don't get us wrong, the XP filter is okay, and can last 2 or 3 oil changes, but it isn't as effective or efficient at filtering those smaller particles. And for your shorter oil change intervals, a more effective filter, but not as long lasting, will most definitely serve you better.

Note: the standard Wix or NAPA Gold filter is good for 1 Oil Change Interval (OCI) for your vehicle, say 3000 to 7500 or 10,000 miles.

Last edited:
..." In fact wix media in automotive full-flow oil filters traps and holds essentially all particles larger than 25 microns a human hair is roughly 70 microns in diameter while capturing a high percentage of even smaller particles."...

Source: https://amzn.to/3C3iObp

FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter, XG9972 (Multi-pass Efficiency - ISO 4548-12 test - 99.6% Efficient @20 Microns)

Source: https://amzn.to/3eV0LVo

Ed

The XP filter allows smaller micron particles to pass through its filter material, whereas the standard Wix or NAPA Gold filter material captures or stops many of those smaller particles. Therefore, the Wix or NAPA Gold filters (the same) are more efficient at stopping or filtering those smaller particles.
That’s counterproductive seeing that it costs more than the standard WIX

A favorite filter here has been the Fram Ultra. It was similar in construction to the XP, but had/has fantastic filtering efficiency -- filtering out very fine particles. Recent construction changes have made it "less stout", but it will cetainly last your typical oil change interval cycle.

That’s counterproductive seeing that it costs more than the standard WIX
True. That's where the Fram Ultra wins. Past construction was similar to the the XP, but it was FANTASTIC at filtering as well. The newer Fram Ultra filter doesn't have the wire-backing like the old, but seems to filter well. It's good for nominal change intervals only. Same goes for the standard Wix and NAPA Gold filters.

True. That's where the Fram Ultra wins. Past construction was similar to the the XP, but it was FANTASTIC at filtering as well. The newer Fram Ultra filter doesn't have the wire-backing like the old, but seems to filter just as well. It's good for nominal change intervals only.
I’ll have to see if they are available for my wife’s car and my truck. Thanks buddy

normal wix are a good buy at rockauto.. I snagged 12 for around $55 to my door.
Keep 'em high and dry and you're set for a long time.

I keep my stash of filters on a shelf in my dry, air-conditioned, lower-level mudroom. Over time, humidity won't affect them there. :)

normal wix are a good buy at rockauto.. I snagged 12 for around $55 to my door.
can also combine with other filters (air, cabin, etc) to save shipping.

Is there not a new fram titanium @AAP thats the same as old ultra?
I might have to do the same and grab a box of them

I am new here, so take this with a grain of salt.

I have run the regular wix on all my vehicles for a very long time. I do fairly short OCI. My oldest car, a Nissan Xterra, has over 300K miles and has used the regular Wix for most of its life, with OCI of abut 3500 - 4000 - mostly on dino oil until recently it became unavailable, so its now semi syn. It doesn't burn any oil yet.

Personally if I am going to go to the trouble to drain the oil I would just as soon change the oil filter. I have more fear of the bypass valve wearing out and let everything pass than anything else.

The one thing I will say is the WIX oil filters are still made in USA - at least the last I bought, but the last air filter I purchased was made in Spain, and lacked the metal screen on the back - so with Wix being sold out to Mann+ Hummel I hope they don't change.

Back