Wix vs. Pure One - Which is better??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming price were equal, which of these 2 filter lineups do you think are better?

I can get all my Wix filters from Filter1.com for about the same price as I can for Pure Ones purchased locally when there's a sale.

These two filters seem to get a lot of praise here. Is there a clear winner among these two or should I flip a coin?

I think the Wix has a bit better flow, but the Pure One may filter a bit better (Just from what I have read here).
I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

While both are good filters the Pureone get the nod because it filters finer. See the oil filter test on this site. Some concern that it flows well but it definitly filters more than other filters. I use the Pureone even though I have access to both for about the same price.

quote:

Originally posted by TomH:
If it's my money, I'd buy the Wix.

Same here.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
The Pure Ones I bought had the bypass valve at the closed end of the can. That means thatwhen the filter goes into bypass, the oil wases over the dirty side of the element, the any crud siting in the can and through the bypass.

I prefer a bypass valve on the open end of the can so the oil bypasses directly back into the engine without washing over the dirty filter element.

Really, I prefer a bypass built directly into the engine so bypassing oil doesnt enter the filter at all.

Ya know, I have been thinking about the valve placement issue for some time. I understand the reasoning but what I can not reconcile is the thought of the oil coming into the filer doing a 90 degree turn and flowing out the top bypass, seems to me the oil would go straight ahead to the bottom of the filter and then go back to the top and out the bypass.
dunno.gif

Just consider the thread end bypass a spring loaded “leak”, that “leaks” into the center tube and continues on into the engine. The best bypass is one that bypasses before the filter, the next best bypass is just at the beginning of the filter. Any bypass at the dome end of the filter is just a pressure relief in the filter.
That help?
Personally, I like Wix better

Flip a coin. Both are great filters.

I use Wix myself, though. It's true I never see them on sale either. I'm willing to pay a consistant price for consistantly good filters though.

I think Wix makes good filters. I always use Purolator; nearly always PureOne. So long as they are available and don't decline in quality, I will always prefer them over a Wix.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
Wix filters are more application specific than Purolater.....The difference is in the bypass valve set pressure. That may be a good thing....

I agree it may be a good thing. However, my experience looking up filter specs from Wix and Purolator for my applications (and a few others) has been precisely the opposite. Every single Wix engine oil filter for a gasoline passenger car or pickup I've had occasion to look up shows a bypass pressure of 8-11psi (IIRC). The Purolators vary considerably. To me, that means Wix is using a one-size-fits-all bypass pressure for everything I might ever need. I prefer Purolator's differences because I believe they better reflect OEM specifications.

[ June 08, 2005, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: bulwnkl ]

quote:

Wix filters are more application specific than Purolater.

I can give one where the reverse is true.
Wix specify a 51068 for my Land Rover, which happens to be their Dodge/Chrysler filter, Purolater have a stand alone Land Rover listing, L25195 (admittedly not a Pure One, and which I suspect is sourced from outside the US)

Both good filters for the price. I use Purolators most of the time as they are sold very close by. They have sales on them every few months. The Wix filter never seem to be on sale.

Well I really don't know which filter is better but a Wix filter is on my lawn tractor and on my next oil change a wix filter is going on my 4Runner.
cheers.gif

Wix filters are more application specific than Purolater. Purolater has one filter for my older Mitsu and my newer Mitsu. However, Wix specifies different filters for each car. The difference is in the bypass valve set pressure. That may be a good thing. Also, the Wix has the threaded end bypass. That will prevent oil from "washing" over the media when the filter is in bypass. Another good thing.

The Pure Ones I bought had the bypass valve at the closed end of the can. That means thatwhen the filter goes into bypass, the oil wases over the dirty side of the element, the any crud siting in the can and through the bypass.

I prefer a bypass valve on the open end of the can so the oil bypasses directly back into the engine without washing over the dirty filter element.

Really, I prefer a bypass built directly into the engine so bypassing oil doesnt enter the filter at all.

Flip a coin and rest easy. Both are excellent filters.

I personally prefer Wix filters as the entire product line made by Wix seems to consistently be top quality.

That said, I'm using Motorcraft filters on my Fords, which are made by Purolator. If it wasn't for the fact that I got these filters for $2.97 each, I'd shell out the extra two or three bucks for the Wix filters.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Motorcraft have the threaded-end valve. Why Purolator (label name) doesn't go in this direction is beyond me.

I totally agree. And that's precisely why I'd choose Wix over Purolator if my stash of Motorcraft filters ever runs out.

I just can't beat $2.97 each with the threaded end bypass and silicon ADBV. Mated with a quality Purolator filtering element, this is a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back