Wix vanilla filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rock auto has a sale going on the filters for my 02 Ranger and I was thinking of grabbing some filters from the sale. I haven't used a vanilla wix in years. It will be paired with Castrol Edge 5w30 in the 3.0 Vulcan. Ive been using the Fram ultra XG3600 for the last few years.

Are the vanillas good to go? Or should I spend the extra money for the XP? Been wanting to stock up and the sale is tempting me.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2002,ranger,3.0l+v6,1438306,engine,oil+filter,5340

Last edited:
What OCI are you running?

Edit: Or more specifically your filter service interval...

Last edited:
My apologies guys. My commute to work is now 20 miles shorter(80 miles round trip now) and I was running 6-7k oci prior with fram XG3600 and Castrol Edge 5w30.

About a 50/50 blend of highway/city driving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Wix are good mid-level filters. How long will your OCI be?

Whats better ?

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
My apologies guys. My commute to work is now 20 miles shorter(80 miles round trip now) and I was running 6-7k oci prior with fram XG3600 and Castrol Edge 5w30.

I would be comfortable with the Wix in that application- though I'm not well versed on any vehicle specific concerns for your applcation. I used to run the napa gold (wix) on my 5.0L for about 8000-9000 mile OCI and they seemed to hold up well. I did go to the Fram Ultra just because cost is about the same either way for me.

Originally Posted by NavyVet88

With that driving scenario, I'd run an Ultra for two 6-7K OCIs.

Is there enough space for the fatter XG8A on the Ranger, that'd probably last a good 3 OCIs, which if you're doing about 80mi a workday that'd be about 20000mi a year, so do 3 drains a year and replace the XG8A once a year.

A regular Wix looks good after 10K miles in my F150. They're good filters. The only reason I'd run Ultras is if I got a great deal or running for multiple OCI.

I go 10,000+ miles with WIX for well under $4 the last ones I think were $3.68 apiece from Rock Auto for the 51515 but prices have risen. If you are going to compare like for like on price the WIX XP filters are a dollar cheaper than Fram Ultra, at Rock Auto.

Originally Posted by hunter29

Whats better ?

The Wix might be the best for your older vehicle application. Some engines need more trapping - some desire more flow.
If every new vehicle was better-off using Fram Ultras, then all new vehicles coming out of the factory would be wearing one. Nobody (0%) would care if the new vehicle sticker price on the rear window was $5 more, due to the Ultra's added cost.

But.... I haven't seen any manufacturer install an Ultra inside a new passenger vehicle costing 50K or less - despite what many BITOGERs here call, the best oil filter for passenger gas vehicle-only applications.

Get the Wix for your older vehicle and sleep well.

Last edited:
The Wix might be the best for your older vehicle application. Some engines need more trapping - some desire more flow.
If every new vehicle was better-off using Fram Ultras, then all new vehicles coming out of the factory would be wearing one. Nobody (0%) would care if the new vehicle sticker price on the rear window was $5 more, due to the Ultra's added cost.

But.... I haven't seen any manufacturer install an Ultra inside a new passenger vehicle costing 50K or less - despite what many BITOGERs here call, the best oil filter for passenger gas vehicle-only applications.

What is the difference in flow between those filters?

Originally Posted by hunter29

Whats better ?

For anyone interested in putting the Wix or Blackstone UOA bottles in a concealed corrugated box that fits both samples, this one below works. I bought a 25pk.

https://www.amazon.com/HTTP-White-C...mp;pf_rd_r=FKNZ4WKA128K1622NDWE&th=1

A reminder to member kschachn
I choose to use BITOG's Ignore Member feature / option.

Triple_Se7en: we use auto extra filters made by WIX at work for 4k, 5k and 7k oci's and never a issue in new vehicles
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I think my two Korean model OEM filters are Wix-designed also.
After the Mobil-1 filter run on these two vehicles of ours, I'm trying Fram TGs next. I've become a little anti-louvers this leap year......lol

Originally Posted by Deo
I've never had any problem with Wix vanilla. This video was uploaded a few weeks ago and does a nice job at showing how terrible Fram is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVSWPweJmkY

Title of the Video: "I cant believe what is inside ALL FRAM oil filters!"

Guess the guy never cut open an Ultra. Just another YouTube click bait squirrel that doesn't know what he's talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back