Wix transmission filters

Hello everyone I am new to the board. I recently just flushed my transmission and installed a new
wix filter and refilled with Valvoline Mercon V and it seems to be doing a fantastic job.
My truck is a 2002 Ford F-150, 4.6, FX4 XLT extended cab 4X4.
Anyway, my question is, has anyone had good luck with wix tranny filters?
All responses appreciated.

You must define "good luck".
I believe most (all?) transmission filters provide coarse filtration. Without a schedule of fluid analysis you'll never know how well they work.
I've used WIX transmission filters several times and they've fit well. If it was a kit, the pan gasket fit and functioned well too.
No crack, failed seal or other problem preventing fluid suction ever occurred that I was aware of.
So I guess that fulfills some definition of good luck.

To atikovi: I believe WIX qualifies as a name brand filter.
"Everyone" says they're good filters and I believe WIX is a seminal manufacturer.

Thanks everyone for the responses. By "Good luck", I am asking if you have tried wix transmission filters and, did they do a satisfactory job in keeping your tranny performing well. Or at least as good as others you may have used.

Still, Wix tranny filters are from China so I doubt they perform any better or worse than other chinese made filters.. I believe Filtran is the last American made filter but that could have changed since I bought several a few years ago.

Hey 333 in Mo. (note the pre-Zip Code Mo.), I see you're new here.
I'm not on the welcoming committee, but WELCOME.
My friend has your truck but 5 years older and non-FX4. I did his pan drop with a WIX.
Actually, I saw his TC had a drain plug but we only had so much fluid and time.
His '97 still had "Mercon" listed in the book and on the dipstick but MerconV is what it got because Ford back-specced it.
While it shifted OK, a "50% fluid refreshment" at 16 years and 60K miles old was my gift to him.
It's actually sad that the concept of maintenance had to be beaten into his head....and this is the guy who showed me so much mechanical stuff in past years. Oh well.
Ha-ha, the refresh didn't turn his rusty beast into a Rolls-Royce so he was disappointed.

To atikovi: Years ago in a competent parts shop I referred to WIX as a cheap filter. The owner corrected me and mentioned that having not heard of it said more about me than the professionally preferred product.

Last edited:
My friend has your truck but 5 years older and non-FX4. I did his pan drop with a WIX. His '97 still had "Mercon" listed in the book and on the dipstick but MerconV is what it got because Ford back-specced it.
His vehicle shifted OK but a "50% fluid refreshment" was my gift to him.
It's actually sad that the concept of maintenance had to be beaten into his head....and this is the guy who showed me so much mechanical stuff in past years. Oh well.
Ha-ha, the refresh didn't turn his rusty beast into a Rolls-Royce so he was disappointed.
My friend has your truck but 5 years older and non-FX4. I did his pan drop with a WIX.
His '97 still had "Mercon" listed in the book and on the dipstick but MerconV is what it got because Ford back-specced it.
While it shifted OK, a "50% fluid refreshment" at 16 years and 60K miles old was my gift to him.
Haha! Thanks for the welcome and the reply!

To atikovi: Years ago in a competent parts shop I referred to WIX as a cheap filter. The owner corrected me and mentioned that having not heard of it said more about me than the professionally preferred product.
Where did I say it was a cheap filter? I just said that it wasn't a name brand that rolls off the tip of your tongue when talking filters. Parts shops are in business to make money. The reason it might be a preferred product is higher profit than other brands. That says more about a product than a brand name.

Wix. When looking for high-quality transmission filters, Wix should be your first stop. The company was established in 1939 with its headquarters based in Gaston, N.C. It produces a variety of products for the filtration, diesel, industrial, and automotive markets.

Just found this info. Sorry I didn't post it earlier.

Also this:

Top Brands​

MOTORCRAFT​

Motorcraft is the automotive brand name of the famous America-based Ford Motor Company. The company was established in 1903 by Henry Ford. It has its headquarters in Dearborn, Mich. The company has established an excellent reputation in the market for its quality car motors and related engine auto parts. Some of its best-selling transmission filters include the Motorcraft FT-114 Screen Assy. All the transmission filters from this company come with a quality assurance mark that makes them suitable for all automobiles with a Ford engine.

ACDELCO​

ACDelco is a brand name of General Motors, which was established in 1908. The international company is headquartered in Detroit, Mich., and serves six countries with its high-quality auto parts. For more than a century, the company has been offering some of the best automobile spare parts and transmission filters. Some of its quality transmission filters include the ACDelco Professional Automatic Transmission Fluid Filter Starter Kit and the ACDelco TF289 Professional Automatic Transmission Fluid Filter Kit.

WIX​

When looking for high-quality transmission filters, Wix should be your first stop. The company was established in 1939 with its headquarters based in Gaston, N.C. It produces a variety of products for the filtration, diesel, industrial, and automotive markets. Some of the best-selling transmission filters from the company include the WIX Filters—58618 Automatic Transmission Filter and the WIX Filters58040 Automatic Transmission Filter. All the filtration products offered by the company will come with a product warranty to give you peace of mind when placing your order.

Last edited:
Triple3in MO,

That's all marketing spiel. It appears to be from some fluff article written by a non automotive person.

Everything has changed regarding those blurbs you posted. I.E., Wix is now a part of Mann-Hummel and posters here are already noticing product changes and consolidation. The actual manufacturer of Motorcraft and AC Delco filters can change as often as the wind changes.

We have no metric to compare the real quality of transmission filters, especially their filtering ability. On my last Caravan, the Carquest Filtran filter was made in China while the dealer Filtran filter was still U.S. made. They looked identical, but I had no way to really compare quality.

If you have quality concerns and tend to have buyer's remorse, then pay a few extra dollars and get an OEM filter from the dealer and sleep well at night. Regarding WIX, they are as good or better (sometimes) as anything else out there. They have a HUGE product inventory and I see them used on very expensive agriculture and construction equipment. Even so, I have had fitment problems with a few WIX agriculture applications. Comparison shop and buy what you think is best. Loyalty to one manufacturer is not good because no single company makes the best of everything (my opinion).

I know that Fel Pro gaskets are changing in quality also, but man, their transmission pan gaskets I used in the past had exceptional quality and were worth spending an extra $7 on vs the cheap cork or rubber gaskets that come with filter kits.

Last edited:
Triple3in MO,

That's all marketing spiel. It appears to be from some fluff article written by a non automotive person.

Everything has changed regarding those blurbs you posted. I.E., Wix is now a part of Mann-Hummel and posters here are already noticing product changes and consolidation. The actual manufacturer of Motorcraft and AC Delco filters can change as often as the wind changes.

We have no metric to compare the real quality of transmission filters, especially their filtering ability. On my last Caravan, the Carquest Filtran filter was made in China while the dealer Filtran filter was still U.S. made. They looked identical, but I had no way to really compare quality.

If you have quality concerns and tend to have buyer's remorse, then pay a few extra dollars and get an OEM filter from the dealer and sleep well at night. Regarding WIX, they are as good or better (sometimes) as anything else out there. They have a HUGE product inventory and I see them used on very expensive agriculture and construction equipment. Even so, I have had fitment problems with a few WIX agriculture applications. Comparison shop and buy what you think is best. Loyalty to one manufacturer is not good because no single company makes the best of everything (my opinion).
Thanks. I appreciate your input. Very much.

Thank you, Kira!

You're welcome.
By the way, how many miles are on your '02? Is an FX4 higher than a regular F-150?
Did Ford fit the cabin air filters by '02? I ask because there is a kit with which you cut out a defined panel in the glovebox floor, fiddle in an adapter and install a filter. I assume you have to cut into an air duct after you "gain access" through the glovebox.
My fuddy-duddy pal had no interest in installing a CAF.

Last edited:
You're welcome.
By the way, how many miles are on your '02? Is an FX4 higher than a regular F-150?
Did Ford fit the cabin air filters by '02? I ask because there is a kit with which you cut out a defined panel in the glovebox floor, fiddle in an adapter and install a filter. I assume you have to cut into an air duct after you "gain access" through the glovebox.
My fuddy-duddy pal had no interest in installing a CAF.
The FX4 just has the off road package from the factory. Skid plates, heavier shocks, etc.
As of now my truck has 139,000 miles., and no, it isn't fitted with the cabin air filter.
I wish it was though. XLT model, btw.

Back