8L90 Have the problems been sorted for 2023?

Looking at possibly buying a new 2023 Silverado WT 4x4 with the 8L90 and 2.7 Turbo Max, Crew Cab Standard box. Discounts are getting pretty good as inventory of trucks are piling up.

Have the 8L90 transmission issues been sorted for the 2023 model year or are these transmissions still problematic? Also it seems as if the GM 10 speed and the used trucks with 6 speeds are not that great either.

Is the 10 speed in the new Tundra a less risky choice for long term ownership? It will cost more, but also retain more of its value on trade or resale.

No intended towing, but do plan on keeping 20 years or so.

My 1997 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 46RE has been fine for 27 years, 102,000 miles and Dodge is known for tranny issues. I do service (fluid and filter) every 30,000 miles.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess it's fine. I haven't seen or heard of any issues. It's new so time will tell but I think it's been fixed. The 8 speed issue in the prior gen was the shudder. It's a transmission you really want to stay on top of with fluid changes.

I drove a 2023 2.7 Turbo / 8 speed combination for 40 miles last Friday... city, highway, and interstate. It had 2,700 miles on the odometer.

I felt nothing odd or unusual at all from the transmission, and I was paying close attention to the engine and transmission. That said, my sample is rather small.

My 1997 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 46RE has been fine for 27 years, 102,000 miles and Dodge is known for tranny issues. I do service (fluid and filter) every 30,000 miles.
Not sure how deep the Ram discounts are in your area, but the Classics in Canada have 20% discount off retail and discounted lending rates. About the same hp but less torque than what you will get with the TurboMax.
I have found the V6 with ZF licensed 8-speed to be reliable and decent on fuel.

I have 3 Fords and 1 Toyota. Fords seem to have really dropped in quality. Toyotas quality seems to have dropped as well Those were my two favorite brands and Chevy was the most problematic vehicles I have ever owned. I would gamble on the Toyota being the better but it is the luck of the draw.

I feel like the 2.7 in the Chevy is turning out to be a pretty solid motor. As far as the eight speed should be a lot better now plus I think is it the 23 model they did some updating as well for shift quality?

I was super excited about this combo and very much thinking about getting it as my next new purchase. However I went and drove one myself and didn't really care for it all that much. The 2.7 didn't feel as torquey as I thought it would and the eight speed was not bad but a little bit jerky to me. Having said that though from actual owners and YouTube reviews it seems that this powertrain is plenty capable.

Also starting for model 2023 is this powertrain getting the 100,000 mi warranty? If so that's a nice sell.

I feel like the 2.7 in the Chevy is turning out to be a pretty solid motor. As far as the eight speed should be a lot better now plus I think is it the 23 model they did some updating as well for shift quality?

I was super excited about this combo and very much thinking about getting it as my next new purchase. However I went and drove one myself and didn't really care for it all that much. The 2.7 didn't feel as torquey as I thought it would and the eight speed was not bad but a little bit jerky to me. Having said that though from actual owners and YouTube reviews it seems that this powertrain is plenty capable.

Also starting for model 2023 is this powertrain getting the 100,000 mi warranty? If so that's a nice sell.
Looks like the 100,000 miles warranty starts for the `24 models.

From reading reviews the new trucks have more problems than my old Ram! It is just the RUST that is killing it!

Back