Wix vs OEM Transmission filters (Motocraft/AC Delco)

Do Wix transmission filters offer better filtration properties than A/C Delco or Motocraft? Not concerned about price, just wondering if it's smart to buy a filter from the same company hoping to sell me my next vehicle(s)? Is there another superior brand out there that would be a better choice?

No real better choice

Stick with OE filters. I've seen fit/finish/quality with various aftermarket brands.

For better filtration, install a PH8a filter mount kit. This is similar to what B&M, Derale, Permacool.... sell. Racor also has a fancy kit but really not worth the expensive over the easy to find/source ph8a mounts.

Even a Magnefine or NTZ filter is a major upgrade to most OE pan filters.

To answer the OP's question, yes...WIX filters are very high quality but no, they are not any "better" than OEM.

Considering the cost of repair/replacement of most automatic transmissions, I usually prefer to use OEM for the filters but that's likely a placebo for my OCD.

I agree w/slacktide_bitog about not needing to change the filter, with the following addendum: "...after an initial change". The filter is really there to catch any break-in wear materials and after that, it's pretty much unnecessary. I like to change the filter at about 15,000 miles, but that's it. I also install a drain plug if the pan doesn't have one, making future drain & fills so much easier and less messy. Fresh fluid is more important than changing an already clean filter.

Filtration Group Filtran, formerly SPX Filtran is the OE supplier alongside Roki from what I’ve seen and the media looks better than most aftermarket. They are OE for Ford, some Toyota/Aisin and ZF. With that said, I have a Taiwanese Wix on a van, it looked OK but will be swapped out for OE at the next ATF change.

I've seen swarfy goop in trans filters just like the stuff that collects on the magnets and pan. They will clog.
FWIW, I did a pan drop on a Ranger. I saw swarf and friction sludge on the pan. Trans filter looked fine. In went another OE filter.

Filtration Group Filtran, formerly SPX Filtran is the OE supplier alongside Roki from what I’ve seen and the media looks better than most aftermarket. With that said, I have a Taiwanese Wix on a van, it looked OK but will be swapped out for OE at the next ATF change.
WIX is too. Many are just repackaged MANN. MANN is a huge OE supplier.

WIX is too. Many are just repackaged MANN. MANN is a huge OE supplier.
This one was made in Taiwan and looked decent compared to the OE Toyota Filtran made in the US. I would probably keep it.

Filtran does have a plant in China. I installed a NOS Puro that was made in China, it had the SPX patent number on it and looked just like the OE Filtran that came off. That was for an Explorer.

Back