Wix Oil Filters - Made In USA - Made In China

I know this topic was discussed about a year ago in a similar thread (which I've read through), however despite a couple of people saying they would cut open the USA vs China made Wix filters to determine what the ADBV material was of, I have yet to see that anyone has done this yet.

So while organizing my oil filters today, I noticed the same issue. Most of my WIX 57356 filters (I have about 46 of them at the moment) have the red ADBV material which I guess some are cliaming is silicon, and show on the label as Made In USA. About 10 of them have the grey material, that I know some people believe is nitrile material instead of silicon, yet know one seems to know for sure yet. In addition to the different color of the material I notice on the grey (China) ones that the "valve" or whatever that thing is at the bottom of the filter (when you are looking down into it from the threaded hole), the China made one protrudes about an inch or so from the roof (or floor) of the filters, whereas the red (USA) ones DON'T appear to have the protuding "thing" and although it is round it appears to be much more flat against the roof (or floor) of the filter. So not sure if that means anything. You can see this if you look closely down the holes in the photos I posted.

As I just noticed this today, I'm not sure where I got the China filters from. I've bought them in the past from Napa, and from at least 2 different on-line sources, with one being Amazon. I suspect the China ones may have come from the Amazon orders but I really can't say for sure as they all got mixed up before I realized there was a difference.

In any event, has anyone been able to definitavely determine if the China made ones use a nitrile ADBV materialk, or is that still just speculation? And even if it is, is it really a major problem? Also anyone who knows what I mean when trying to describe the two different "things" at the top (or bottom) of the filter that sticks out, is that an issue to be concerned about?

20230128_153038.jpg
20230128_153050.jpg
20230128_153058.jpg

I have a Wix 57502 on the shelf for an oil change next week on my Ford. It has the silicone adv and a flush bypass valve as you described. It was made in the USA. Feel better about using this filter based on your analysis. Tks.

I have a Wix 57502 on the shelf for an oil change next week on my Ford. It has the silicone adv and a flush bypass valve as you described. It was made in the USA. Feel better about using this filter based on your analysis. Tks.
So the "thing" I was trying to describe is called a Bypass Valve? If so, the flush ones are better than the "protruding " ones?

Also just as a update of sorts, I live in Canada, and I just ordered 3 more Wix filters off of Amazon.ca. They are sold and shipped by Amazon.ca however it looks like they come from a company on Quebec maybe? In the additional information about the product on Amazon, it says specifically that the Wix filters are made in the USA. So we'll see what happens when they arrive here in a few days now. I'll update it here once I get them and let you know if they are actually made in the USA, or made in China.

I buy my filters from Rock Auto. Yes the bypass valve, usually but not always is at the end of the filter opposite the base plate. Its function is to allow unfiltered oil to flow to the engine in the event the filter becomes plugged or in extremely cold weather when the oil is too viscus to pass easily through the filter media. Per your question about is one style better than another. It could be argued either way, doubt there is any objective method to judge that.

So the "thing" I was trying to describe is called a Bypass Valve? If so, the flush ones are better than the "protruding " ones?
The flush ones are usually because the filter uses a coil spring to hold everything in the filter together - so there is room for the bypass spring to sit inside the filter "assembly" spring.

Filters that use a leaf spring to hold everything together don't have room for the bypass inside the spring - its just a small piece of bent metal - so they need the "protruding" bypass.

So long as the bypass opens at the correct PSI - it shouldn't matter.

There are those that will argue the coil spring holds the filter together better.

There are those that will argue the leaf spring allows for more filter media in the same can.

Take your pick.

FWIW - the leaf spring is basically the old Purolator design - there both owned by M&H now. Wix always used to use the coil spring.

If you're buying from Napa, check out Full. They seem to carry them in Canada as well as the US :)

There's always the Fram 7317 too

So while organizing my oil filters today, I noticed the same issue. Most of my WIX 57356 filters (I have about 46 of them at the moment) have the red ADBV material which I guess some are cliaming is silicon, and show on the label as Made In USA. About 10 of them have the grey material, that I know some people believe is nitrile material instead of silicon, yet know one seems to know for sure yet.
Cut them open, clean each ABDV with isopropyl alcohol and try to burn them with a match. Or get someone that has one taken off after an oil change here in this forum and ask them to do a burn test on the black ADBV. That will tell you if the black one is silicone or not. The red/orange one is obviously silicone. Silicone will burn with white smoke and ash, nitrile will burn with black smoke and ash.

Last edited:
If you're buying from Napa, check out Full. They seem to carry them in Canada as well as the US :)

Is Full a brand. And I used to go to Napa for years, but haven't set foot in one for at least 7 years. Their prices are through the roof and their sale prices are more in line with regular prices at Walmart and Cambodian Tire. Even their monthly flyers are a laughing joke. I don't know how they even stay in business anymore. They must have massive contracts with governments or something as I don't know anyone who goes to Napa for anything these days.

So I admit I haven't been on this site for a few years now, but has something changed with Fram? Last time I was here everyone was calling Fram the OCOD (Orange Can Of Death). Now it's suddenly acceptable now???

Cut them open, clean each ABDV with isopropyl alcohol and try to burn them with a match. Or get someone that has one taken off after an oil change here in this forum and ask them to do a burn test on the black ADBV. That will tell you if the black one is silicone or not. The red/orange one is obviously silicone. Silicone will burn with white smoke and ash, nitrile will burn with black smoke and ash.
Okay, so let's say for argument's sake that the ones made in China are made of nitrile. Is that a really, really bad thing?

Okay, so let's say for argument's sake that the ones made in China are made of nitrile. Is that a really, really bad thing?
Depends on how many miles they are used. If you're doing relatively short oil changes (7500 mi or less) then nitrile should be OK. Of course 7500 miles of mostly non-highway miles is a longer time the oil is baking the filter with hot oil than 7500 miles of mostly highway miles, so factor that aspect in too. Rubber getting stiff is a function of time at temperature. Silicone rubber handles heat and time better than nitrile rubber.

Last edited:
Depends on how many miles they are used. If you're doing relatively short oil changes (7500 mi or less) then nitrile should be OK.
But why? What's the difference between the two? I mean, I know they're different material but why do people think that nitrile is worse?

And for me, I change Dino oil every 5,000 km and every 10,000 km for synthetic.

But why? What's the difference between the two? I mean, I know they're different material but why do people think that nitrile is worse?

And for me, I change Dino oil every 5,000 km and every 10,000 km for synthetic.
See post #12, I added info.

Welcome back 🥳

Is Full a brand. And I used to go to Napa for years, but haven't set foot in one for at least 7 years. Their prices are through the roof and their sale prices are more in line with regular prices at Walmart and Cambodian Tire. Even their monthly flyers are a laughing joke. I don't know how they even stay in business anymore. They must have massive contracts with governments or something as I don't know anyone who goes to Napa for anything these days.
Yes, Full is a brand. They are made in Thailand by Siam Filter. They are an OE supplier. Most filters made in Thailand are made by Siam, including OEM, so if you see an OE filter made in Thailand, it's made by them.

So I admit I haven't been on this site for a few years now, but has something changed with Fram? Last time I was here everyone was calling Fram the OCOD (Orange Can Of Death). Now it's suddenly acceptable now???
They've gotten better. In fact, most orange cans have the silicone ADBV now, though some runs of some part numbers may still have a black ADBV due to supply issues.

Welcome back 🥳

Yes, Full is a brand. They are made in Thailand by Siam Filter. They are an OE supplier. Most filters made in Thailand are made by Siam, including OEM, so if you see an OE filter made in Thailand, it's made by them.

They've gotten better. In fact, most orange cans have the silicone ADBV now, though some runs of some part numbers may still have a black ADBV due to supply issues.
Thanks for the info! I have 46 Wix filters on hand right now, and 3 more on the way just to see what country they are made in, so that will be 49 in total and just changed the oil/filter in all 5 family vehicles (3 of which take the Wix filter). So at 10,000km intervals for the synthetic vehicles (2) and 5,000km intervals for the dino oil vehicle, I think by the time I run out of them our gas vehicles will be illegal to even own by then give the state of this woke culture BS. But, if I run out, I'll take a second look at the new Fram filters. :)

Depends on how many miles they are used. If you're doing relatively short oil changes (7500 mi or less) then nitrile should be OK. Of course 7500 miles of mostly non-highway miles is a longer time the oil is baking the filter with hot oil than 7500 miles of mostly highway miles, so factor that aspect in too. Rubber getting stiff is a function of time at temperature. Silicone rubber handles heat and time better than nitrile rubber.
I'll add that nitrile has a shorter shelf life. It will harden over time just sitting. For most of the world it will be too long to matter, but given many here stock a decade of filters it might for them :)

I'll add that nitrile has a shorter shelf life. It will harden over time just sitting. For most of the world it will be too long to matter, but given many here stock a decade of filters it might for them :)
Thank you. This is a good point. I'm one of those people who have years of stock on hand, so that is a good point. I've gone through all my 46 Wix filters and pulled out the China ones (10 of them). I'll use these first and on the vehicles of the family members that I don't really give a **** about and use that stock up first. I appreciate you time and insight.

This got me looking at the couple Wix 57055 filters I got for the Subaru. They're made in Mexico, but have the red ADBV material. Weird...

Back