Wix filter quality control

Recently purchased 6 wix oil filters off rockauto, one of the filter seems to have the antidrain valve crushed between the housing when it was manufactured.

Anyone else come across issues with wix brand, I always thought it was a higher quality brand and it surprised me to find issue like this.

Attachments

• B5A56388-F140-4D83-8837-8E83EB53C69F.jpeg
    B5A56388-F140-4D83-8837-8E83EB53C69F.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 456
  • BAA5E132-AF31-4D6D-BE6D-AEBFDF5BBA6E.jpeg
    BAA5E132-AF31-4D6D-BE6D-AEBFDF5BBA6E.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 460
Happens. Contact RA ask for refund/credit or replacement.

Obviously, filters bought online can't be pre purchase inspected, always best practice all filters.

And no surprise at all, it looks like one of the new parts bin Wixolators as the upper bypass valve is gone. Thanks M+H

Yeah I'm not fully on board with the "new" WIX standard filter design. Glad I got a stash of the previous design before they changed over, will be researching my options when it runs out. Having said that, this filter will probably filter the oil OK but the ADBV is likely FUBAR. Not worth the risk though. Definitely get a refund / replacement.

When I worked summers at the local Big A auto parts, we had a rash of filters that were missing the gasket. Ever since then, I open the box and do a quick visual before I buy.

For obvious reasons, I can't do that with online purchases; I usually buy at least two just in case.

Can anybody confirm that this would actually cause an issue?

In terms of the company’s quality, they’re likely ISO 9001 certified which is a big deal. They need to have a lot of quality processes in place to get 3rd party certified.

I wouldn't trust it to seal evenly. Like maybe twisted a little so won't lay flat and might drain back.
Here I've been wondering about the cartridge filters for the Euro cars. No ADBV, but what is the media like now?

In terms of the company’s quality, they’re likely ISO 9001 certified which is a big deal. They need to have a lot of quality processes in place to get 3rd party certified.
ISO certification helps but is no guarantee of squat. I’ve been working for and with ISO certified companies for 35 years and some of the crap I’ve seen has been unbelievable. It doesn’t matter if the company is $500M or $50B. The corporate culture has a bigger impact on quality.

ISO certification helps but is no guarantee of squat. I’ve been working for and with ISO certified companies for 35 years and some of the crap I’ve seen has been unbelievable. It doesn’t matter if the company is $500M or $50B. The corporate culture has a bigger impact on quality.
Totally agree. The way people talk about wix on here though make it sound like some fly by night operation however.

Totally agree. The way people talk about wix on here though make it sound like some fly by night operation however.
Only if you’re talking about pre-Mann Wix, Purolators made by Mann have been an inconsistent mess for YEARS! Anybody who thinks Wix is going to be as good going forward as they were in the old pre-Mann days is delusional.

That's what was nice about Walmart, I used to be able to buy my Motorcraft filters from there and check them out, prior to purchase, unfortunately can't do that anymore, since they stopped carrying them..

Back