wix 57148

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think im gonna use this filter for my remote mount atf filter. As far as I can tell it filters 50% at 6 microns and something like 95% at 20. Also some amount of 5 microns. That's my interpretation of then beta ratio anyway.I have the magnetic wix inline atf filter on another car and its maximum flow rate is 3 to 4 gpm so this one should flow plenty well. Just the bypass valve is like 4 on the inline filter and 8 on this. But I don't think this spin on is gonna come anywhere near filling up used for an atf filter. This is wix version of the Harley Davidson 5 micron filter which appears to be made by champion labs.the wix version is a glass media. I guess wix is made by wix themselves???? Except their inline filter is made by filtran. Anyway its a pretty solid can.

Number: 57148
UPC Number: 7658095714
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter.
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Glass
Height: 3.404 (86)*
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921 (74)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 5

Fram Ultras are much better, 99%+ efficient at 20 microns and 80 %@5 microns, plus higher capacity and since it's wire backed synthetic media, you can run them for many years without media deformation or corrosion issues.

I considered fu but couldn't find anything but micron rating at 20. Where did u find info 80% at 5 microns? Sure would consider it if that's true.

Hmm could be. I wonder if fram has officially released that info though? As far as I can tell so far wix is the only company that list more than blah blah blah at 20 or some # microns but I'm not all too informed either. Not to judge the guys character but who writes his paycheck? Lol perhaps the info is available and he's shooting straight????

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
you can run them for many years without media deformation or corrosion issues.

+1
I wouldnt worry about the wix filling up with debris rather than the media becoming brittle and cracking.
I would also vote fram ultra or amsoil for this application. Unless you want to change the filter yearly? Which would be enjoyable because then you could cut them open more frequently...

So you have a hard decision to make.

Originally Posted By: fmia
Hmm could be. I wonder if fram has officially released that info though? As far as I can tell so far wix is the only company that list more than blah blah blah at 20 or some # microns but I'm not all too informed either. Not to judge the guys character but who writes his paycheck? Lol perhaps the info is available and he's shooting straight????

Fram has a very expensive iso certified laboratory for testing filter efficiency, they wouldn't make claims on the Internet that weren't true by paid employees, the FTC would have a fit.

Ya guess so. So a glass media is not all that great or what makes it turn brittle? Also is a wix not wire backed or what ever? I dunno this stuff ya know. The wix can feels hefty like a brick lol. I know a few windows I could throw it through if I was prone to that type of behavior lol.

No the Wix is no wire backed, it's a blended media made of cellulose and glass fibers whereas the Fram Ultra is a full micro glass dual layer wire backed filter, which has a much higher efficiency and holding capacity, basically the best of both worlds, the downside is cost, but it's worth it.

The Fram Ultras also have a very thick paint job and sure grip coating both engineered to be extra corrosion resistant for the long intervals they are capable of ; this is very important in atf spin on applications as the filter can easily see multiple years of service without reaching it's full capacity.

The filters using blends of regular cellulose may break down over time since they are derived from paper, the full micro glass media is essentially impervious to aging when submerged in oil, it will never break down.

That particular wix filter is $10 here in Texas and fu is on $8 something so the price of fu doesn't scare me away. Ultra sounds like a good filter for sure

Quote:
...Fram has a very expensive iso certified laboratory for testing filter efficiency, they wouldn't make claims on the Internet that weren't true by paid employees, the FTC would have a fit.

If the "they" was/is indeed Fram 'the company' and they "published" false information, ie., 'publicly' listed false information regarding their's (or anyone elses) efficiency ratings then the FTC 'might' have an issue, if it was proven false and a complaint lodged. That's why the Amsoil ISO test of some OEM filters has authority, because it meets all the criteria and is thus taken as authentic. Same for any ISO efficiency rating published/listed publicly on a company site.

However, I highly doubt the FTC could care what some dude on the internet says on message board regarding some unpublished data. Especially one as obscure as a 5um level efficiency rating which is unlikely to be challenged in any case.

Further if every false claim posted on the internet was taken up by the FTC, then it wouldn't have time for serious cases. To use recent examples on this board, Wix could call the FTC and file a complaint against the proven bogus and spurious claims that Wix XP/Napa Platinum use combo valves, and that all Wix combo valves leak. Didn't see the FTC taking anyone to task on those two claims.
56.gif

So while the verbal 5 micron rating on said touted filter may be correct, it's doubtful in this case the FTC would have much interest one way or the other.

To the topic, though not specifically familiar 57148, the information listed looks to be from the Wix site. And the Harley 5um "Premium" is made by Champ Labs using synthetic media, and having dissected one posted here, it is a well made filter. The 5um is listed as a 'nominal' rating which is 'generally' taken to be at the 50% efficiency level. So based on the 5um efficiency specs alone, the Wix would be in the same ball park as the HD premium.

57148 is the wix version of the non sparkly chrome hd. I could give a &%&#& what it looks like lol. It's about $4 cheaper than wix or Harleys chrome version. $1 cheaper than hd chrome.

The information came from Fram technical director, Motorking, he posted it in earlier threads an I memorized it.
I think if Motorking worked for Purolator he could sell you a torn classic for $20.00. The guy is a good salesman and you take it hook line and sinker.

This opinion is unsubstantiated nonsense.

The filters using blends of regular cellulose may break down over time since they are derived from paper, the full micro glass media is essentially impervious to aging when submerged in oil, it will never break down.

Originally Posted By: steveh
The information came from Fram technical director, Motorking, he posted it in earlier threads an I memorized it.
I think if Motorking worked for Purolator he could sell you a torn classic for $20.00. The guy is a good salesman and you take it hook line and sinker.
Yes, of course, never allow the performance of the product to speak for itself...

No problem with either the Wix, HD, or the FRAM Ultra in this application.

Take your pick.

From the description, it sounds like Wix may have built this filter like an XP to meet the HD spec.

If that's the case, it may indeed have wire backed synthetic media.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see one of these cut open to confirm.

this is one reason i favor wix over fram they list the flow rates and all kinds of other things. Flow is very important in my business.

Crazyoildude I was sorta coming to the same conclusion.outa all the filter comps ies I searched wix is the only on that just puts it all out there. I appreciate that. They let u see what u get. Seems so much more forthright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back