Wix 51516 or M.C. 400S???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut open a ton of filters for the L20195 Application; long toyota. I cut L, PL's, napa gold, napa proselect, Denso japan OEM, and 400S MC.

I narrowed my choices down to either the 400S motorcraft or the 1516 napa gold.

$6.69 WIX: Pros- Coil spring, 13% more media, deeper pleats. Cons- bypass valve seats metal on metal and may leak unfiltered oil.

$3.69 MC 400S: Pros- Bypass valve design is great. .25" taller filter cartridge. Thickness of media is .037" vs wix .030". Large diamter inner tube. Cons- Leaf spring, shallow pleats.

These are the 2 filters I've narroed it down to. Both have orange silicone ADBV's. What do you guys think- price tag aside.

Last edited:
I think the oil filter really doesn't make a big difference brand wise in the whole picture . Probably there is more of a chance of someome running into you and totalling out the vehicle that ever getting to the point where you will notice any gain between filters.

Had start up noise with FL400s on a 4.0L tacoma best luck with 1348 napa gold. 5000 mile oci with GC

I'll try the Motorcraft and see if I have startup noise, being it's the cheaper option of the 2. if I have noise, I'll try the Wix. Both these filters are a touch larger than the OEM D3 thailand filter.

I'm running 5w-30 SM YB Pennzoil, and maybe at 10k I'll switch to PP 5w-30. See what it costs.

Last edited:
I had the start up noise with the WIX and switched to the Motorcraft 400S. It's in my truck right now with 5.8 Qts. of Motorcraft 5W30. I took the Baldwin off after I read the post with all of the pictures explaining the bypass valve technology. You went with the right filter! What oil did you use?? Check out this link. Bye the way, I have a 1995 Eddie Bauer Bronco and use a Motorcraft filter but use Valvoline Synpower since my wife does a lot of short trips with less than 2k miles a year. I love the quality of the Motorcraft products.

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlines/cup/02/07/belliott.daytona.practice.leader/index.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I use Wix on my car. It works great for me. Both filters are made very well. Can't go wrong!

I agree. Can't go wrong with either one.

Yeah the bypass valve on the MC is awsome. I took the whole thing apart. the MC 400S is definately the best bang/buck filter out there for my application, and is available everywhere. I have to agree, Motorcraft makes some good stuff. When I had my deisel truck I tried all sorts of oils, and filters and ended up using all MC products and they were the best price and performing.

From what I read, the MC is supposed to be a Purolator. I had a new L and PL20195 open today and the MC was a lot better. the leaf spring was 2x's the size. Media is totaly different, and the bypass valve is also totaly different/better. I wodner what wally world is charging for 400s's these days.

On a side note, I was very dissapointed with the Proselect napa. The media was very very thin, and easy to tear. The only difference I noticed between the PL and L was one had more of the same media, and a silicone ADBV. That's it, not worth the extra money they charge for PL.

Last edited:
I paid under four bucks for the 400S I bought at Wallyworld. I think it was $3.63 or very close to that. Awesome deal for that filter. I have a stash f filters but will keep using the 400S and keep the others on the shelf. I will stock up on the 400S and Motorcraft 10w30 for the Spring and Summer months.

I'm sticking to the 5w-30 year round. no reason not to. If Toyota said to run WD-40 in it, I would. I'll take any fuel saving I can get.

Last edited:
I tow a boat in the summer months and start sitting in beach traffic. It's still 30W and it's not going to be very cold here in Maryland starting in May and ending in September. I have a bunch of Valvoline 10w30 that I need to use up.

that's a good reason. but I've towed a lot of trailers in FL summers with 5w-30 Dino. I'd say use up the 10-30 and get some 5-30 after that and never look back. I used to be one of those guys that ran 15w-50 Mobil 1 in my 80's Corvette. Looking back I would of saved a lot of fuel, and won more races had I used 5-30 or 10-30 Mobil 1. I see the light with thin oils.

Last edited:
I've used MotorCraft 5w20 in the Tacoma before. It ran really nice with that oil but I was just a little nervous about it shearing. Is it true that 10w30 has less improvers in it than 5w30 oil?? I thought the 10w was a bit more stout. I also believe that Toyota can cover more parts of the country by going with the standard 5w.

Last edited:
yea 10-30 M1 is supposed to be better than 5-30. I do a lot of city driving, and short trips, so the 5W helps out. I tow nothing... and drive normal/easy. Deffinately don't need the extra HD oil.

I'm driving 500 miles per week 99% highway doing 75 mph. I let my truck warm up and TAKE OFF. I guess that is considered easy driving since it's not stop and go. My 07 Tacoma 4.0 seems to like dino just fine so I'm sticking with it.

badless I agree. I'm going to drain/fill the rear axle, Tcase and Front diff at 15k. Switching to 75w-90 SYN Valvoline being it's visc is thinner than Mobil 1's 75-90 and it's Mack approved, Mobil 1 75-90 is not mack approved. Then I'll keep running the 5w-30 Dino and maybe switch 1x to PP and see if it makes a difference. If not... back to dino I go. The only thing that might get me is running the FL400S during warranty. The only filter I'd feel comfortable using that is "listed" for application is the Toyota filter. All the aftermarket ones are "shorty" carry overs from the 3.4L.

Last edited:
That's cool. I changed the oil in my Tacoma at 1000 miles and started using the larger filter after that and never looked back. No problems at all.

Called wix tech when I was going over what filter to use. 1348 and 1516 tech claimed 1348 was better media toyoyta might have higher spec than ford. Do not know if this is still the case.

Always have been very satisfied with the MC filters. Been using them for over 20 years. I wish I could find one for my GM that crosses to a Delco PF52. Might go to Bosch on that one. I think the Motor Craft at Walmart and Autozone here is about $3.67 or something like that. MC is Purolator made to MC spec and Bosch I think is Purolator now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back