WIX 51515 vs. Motorcraft FL-1A

In reading thru the various threads in bitog, I have compared the filtering specs of the WIX 51515 vs. the Motorcraft FL-1A as best I can. The WIX lists its Beta Ratio as 2/20 = 13/23, which I think translates to 95% @ 23 microns and 50% @ 13 microns. If the FL-1A has the Purolator PL0001 media in it, which some threads imply, then its filtering is 97.2% @ 20 microns, 90.3% @ 15 microns, 70.6% @ 10 microns, and 30.8% @ 5 microns. If all of this is true, then the FL-1A appears to filter quite a bit better than the WIX 51515. Any comments out there? I know there are a lot of fans of the WIX, so why would I choose the WIX over the Motorcraft for these two filters? Need help! John

Both excellent filters and you will never know the difference in the first 500,000 miles. Pick the cheaper or more convenient one to purchase.

The filtering abilities of the two filters will never make a noticeable difference in the life of your engine . But the pure 1 does filter better .

The Fl-1A is not a Pure 1 no matter what the people who cut open filters open and give an opinion sat .There was an oil filter tese done with a bubble machine that measure the pores of the filters and that is what makes me say the filters are different.

I know the Motorcraft has a really nice bypass valve at the open end but I'm not sure abut the Wix. I agree with the above, both will serve you well.

john1944

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The Fl-1A is not a Pure 1 no matter what the people who cut open filters open and give an opinion sat .There was an oil filter tese done with a bubble machine that measure the pores of the filters and that is what makes me say the filters are different.
The filtering figures I gave were not for the Pure 1 but rather the lower cost Purolator.

That link says that the PureOne only flows half the oil that the Baldwin/Hastings flows. I don't want that in my truck!

john1944

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Too many "if's".
I agree with you which is why I posted in order to hopefully get some "ifs" answered. (by the way, the plural of if is ifs, not if's)

Originally Posted By: john1944
Too many "if's".
I agree with you which is why I posted in order to hopefully get some "ifs" answered. (by the way, the plural of if is ifs, not if's)
BITOG guys get picky about periods,apostophies and commas. As well as spelling,typo and grammer mistakes.

Originally Posted By: Badlees
That link says that the PureOne only flows half the oil that the Baldwin/Hastings flows. I don't want that in my truck!
Except the P1 works great anyway. The test doesn't take into consideration how much material the filter has as it tests a square of element .the filters "flow" enough oil.

I know they work great and I have one Pureone and a couple of Bosch filters in my garage. Once I use up my Motorcrafts and Hastings, I will use the Pureone.

Ive run the Wix 51515/Napa Gold and the pure one PL30001 in a Toyota 4.7, I found the pure one restrictive, my oil pressure was noticeably higher with the pure one. I'm trying an EAO34 next, will compare it to Wix 51616.

Too many "if's".
BITOG guys get picky about periods,apostophies and commas. As well as spelling,typo and grammer mistakes.
Grammar.

Last edited:
Too many "if's".
(by the way, the plural of if is ifs, not if's)
Not according to my spell checker. ifs produces a red line ..while if's does not. I don't think Webster provided "if" with a plural in any conventional sense. Naturally... in an adaptive, non-standard, usage, almost anything goes. Most things that don't normally have plurals ..work with an abused apostrophe. btw- we have an ample supply of anal retentive composition and spelling members already fully prepared to handle these things. There are openings in functional communications over electronic mediums that isn't suitable for masters level presentations types, however. Anal expulsives need love too. Now on to the ifs/if's. You can attempt to ask Purolator if their Premium Plus media is shared with the MC brand that they manufacture. I don't think that it is. It may be for some numbers. It may not for others. The PP and PureOne are "blanket" offerings (in most cases). They all meet or exceed OEM specifications for what they recommend that number filter for. MC, OTOH, is 100% assured to meet all FORD OEM spec's for an aftermarket part. Those two may not be the same. The PP and PureOne meet or exceed performance spec's ..but they may not meet them the same way that FORD details them out. It's on a less complex level of a blender meeting Dex VI's performance spec's ..but not matching its material spec's to accomplish it. Wix appears to conform to OEM spec's to a high degree. You will see some WIX numbers with specific bypass valve settings ..while most are generic (8-12).

Quote:
btw- we have an ample supply of anal retentive composition and spelling members already fully prepared to handle these things. There are openings in functional communications over electronic mediums that isn't suitable for masters level presentations types, however.
I love this place!! Someone, way back near the beginning, said something like "your engine will never know the difference, use whichever one is less expensive, or nearest to you" - or something like that. I tend to agree. \:\!

john1944

Too many "if's".
(by the way, the plural of if is ifs, not if's)
Now on to the ifs/if's. You can attempt to ask Purolator if their Premium Plus media is shared with the MC brand that they manufacture. I don't think that it is. It may be for some numbers. It may not for others. The PP and PureOne are "blanket" offerings (in most cases). They all meet or exceed OEM specifications for what they recommend that number filter for. MC, OTOH, is 100% assured to meet all FORD OEM spec's for an aftermarket part. Those two may not be the same. The PP and PureOne meet or exceed performance spec's ..but they may not meet them the same way that FORD details them out. It's on a less complex level of a blender meeting Dex VI's performance spec's ..but not matching its material spec's to accomplish it. Wix appears to conform to OEM spec's to a high degree. You will see some WIX numbers with specific bypass valve settings ..while most are generic (8-12).
Very good explanation. So some oil filters meet generic OEM specs, and others meet individual manufacture's specs. Life can certainly get complicated for the average Joe. John

Originally Posted By: JackFish
Too many "if's".
Grammar.
like I said!!!...........opps Apostrophies,,,,,,,,,,, caught my self