Wish Repair Shops Would Listen Better

Worst advice ever to offer. Check oil when it's all over the stick up to the brim?
That’s how Kia recommends you check the oil.

1) Allow engine to reach operating temperature.
2) Shut off and let sit for 5 mins (pump gas, then check oil)
3) Pull dipstick and wipe clean and re-insert dipstick
4) Pull dipstick again and check level.

2A7E31CD-7BAE-41DC-B860-8090604D4BF8.png

It's due to insurance reasons and fear of getting sued by someone so they aren't taking any chances of deviating from the manufacturer specifications. I've found that it's getting hard to even get someone to install a bit larger tire on a truck even though the specs show that it will fit on the rims. Might have better luck taking the tires and the rim and then install yourself but even then they may question you about the vehicle they're being used on.
The simple solution to that is the place servicing the vehicle writes a one line disclaimer on the invoice with verbiage stating they're not responsible for damages caused by using the oil or product requested by or provided by the customer. Then have them sign it, that should get them off the hook. Over the years I had customers specify products I normally wouldn't use, after a short conversation and me telling them I'd use anything they won't but wouldn't guarantee it, then have them sign off I went to work. There were times when I was 100% certain the product they picked would fail and I passed on the work. My point is there are work arounds. If the owner of the business is not comfortable using a work around they can always pass on the work. Things like tires where safety might come into play is something most people will pass on, passing on bumping up a grade or two is foolish imo when having a customer sign off can cover you.

I would think the solution to this issue would be real simple (although I’m probably wrong), if you own the shop just have the customer sign a waiver saying that they wanted the wrong spec oil in their engine. Done. Signatures. Document. That should cover it I’d think.

How do you check your oil? You pull the dipstick, wipe it, reinsert, pull, check. Vehicle needs a few minutres for oil to collect in the pan from the top to get a reasonable reading.
First thing in the morning or car sat down for several hours (5 to 6 hours plus). This way works for every car out there. Can you stay in a gas station overnight to check oil?

There might be a few cars you can check oil level in few min after engine turned off. But drawing a blank statement saying "Check oil every time you gas up the car" is flat out wrong.

That’s how Kia recommends you check the oil.

1) Allow engine to reach operating temperature.
2) Shut off and let sit for 5 mins (pump gas, then check oil)
3) Pull dipstick and wipe clean and re-insert dipstick
4) Pull dipstick again and check level.

View attachment 119142
That’s how nearly every manufacturer tells you to check the oil.

It requires wiping the dipstick.

Following the manufacturer recommendation is hardly “worst advice ever”.

Ohhhhh I never had a rag to wipe oil off the dipstick before NOW I KNOW WHY:ROFLMAO:

Have you ever thought who writes these owner manuals? I bet you no one of them cared about a vehicle or checked oil once in their life

Ohhhhh I never had a rag to wipe oil off the dipstick before NOW I KNOW WHY:ROFLMAO:

Have you ever thought who writes these owner manuals? I bet you no one of them cared about a vehicle or checked oil once in their life
I see.

You’re not only smarter than the rest of us, you’re smarter than the people who design and build the cars.

Shops listen very well they hear every bill of every denomination comes out of your wallet. I'll bet they can even tell a twenty from a hundred!

Where I'm from in Canada they're not legal.
First off - I get gas in USA 99% of the time, living close to border and price diff (currently US$6.40/Gal in my area in Canada and US$4.90/Gal a few miles away in USA).
Secondly - some local Canadian gas stations don't have locking plate so one would have to either hold the nozzle or to stick something in to prop the trigger; latter worked for me every time, the pump would shut off when tank is full.

Back