Wiper blades: Conventional vs Beam design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering what everyone's opinions are on wiper blades. I see a bunch of different brands and now I see conventional and beam style blades. I am assuming beam design is better by looking at the price but figured I would ask here to see what everyone is thinking. Thanks!

Buy the beam style from RockAuto on closeout and combine it with a rebate = cheaper than any 'regular' blade and you get the 'premium' style. Best of both worlds.

It's a more uniform application of pressure on the wind shield and aerodynamically slicker. They look better, IMHO, as well.

I haven't used the conventional design in a decade so do not remember the old style performance very well. But the beam style wipes pretty well.

I have found the newer hybrid (part conv. and part beam) works best on some while other the 100% beam work better.

Cadillac found the hybrid worked better on their cars, esp at higher speeds.
Costco has the hybrid Goodyear wipers now and I have heard good things about them.

But the beam or hybrid are the 2 I usually go for unless I get a good deal on the older style or I want the older style for their look (beams look weird on a 73 Chevy like mine).

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Beams don't work on some steeply curved windshields, so there not for everyone.

I'm partial to the 2 for $20 Motorcraft blades

Beams don't work so well on my GP so I have been using the hybrids with pretty good results.

I hate my goodyear beams on the IS. My cousins jetta (bosch) however were awesome.

Beam type wipers are the very definition of "suck." I have no idea why they even sell at all. Looks alone, I guess. The inherent design puts all the pressure of the spring arm right in the center of the blade, whereas a regular articulated blades mechanically distribute pressure uniformly along the length of the blade and work far better.

There are "hybrid" designs that combine the low profile and low wind resistance / low "lift" characteristics of a beam with the better cleaning action of a standard blade. Rain-X Fusion and Michelin Stealth come to mind- I've used both and they are vastly superior to "beam" type blades. That is the only type I buy anymore.

+1 ...Only thing better about the beams is the larger profit margin manufacturing that cheap junk. Newer isn't always better.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Beam type wipers are the very definition of "suck." I have no idea why they even sell at all. Looks alone, I guess. The inherent design puts all the pressure of the spring arm right in the center of the blade, whereas a regular articulated blades mechanically distribute pressure uniformly along the length of the blade and work far better.

There are "hybrid" designs that combine the low profile and low wind resistance / low "lift" characteristics of a beam with the better cleaning action of a standard blade. Rain-X Fusion and Michelin Stealth come to mind- I've used both and they are vastly superior to "beam" type blades. That is the only type I buy anymore.

I used to weld the beams together when I worked for Bosch, 10 years ago almost...

If you get the proper wiper for your car, the beams are bent in such a way that they press uniformly to the windshield, without pressure points. Yes, they are bent differently for every windshield.

Switched to beams many years ago and haven't looked back. Wipers last longer and work better in my applications with the beam style. No more issues with winter ice/conditions causing problems either...

The Rain X Latitudes I got worked really well.. The latest Rain X blafes called Quantum I think?? Are OK. But I think the Latitudes are better and cheaper too.

In my view, they are application dependent. When I had the Audi, I wasn't satisfied with the performance of any beam blades, but conventional ones were fine. With my F-150, it'll take whatever you throw at it and work just fine. With the G37, it's much the same, though I prefer a conventional design in the summer, and a beam blade in the winter, since those ice up a lot less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back