Winter Wiper Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the big advantage of winter wiper blades?? They re covered all the way, but how does that really help much and do you really need them over standard blades in places with real winters (eg. like the NE and new england)??

The old fashioned, "condom over the springs" ones don't flex well over modern round windscreens.

Modern beam blades work pretty okay in the winter. I got a set from Advance that were on sale (this month) and minus coupon that seem pretty snazzy for the money. Will see how they do in snow.

You sometimes get globs of ice on the "standard" leaf spring style blades that interfere with flexing and cause huge streaks. If the windscreen gets warmed by the defroster then refreezes when you park the ice sometimes grabs the rubber and tears it off the rest of the blade. This is moreso with summer blades but can happen to any. I keep an old blade in the trunk for emergencies.

I also kill the heat/defrost a minute before getting to my destination to give the windshield time to cool down.

Never tried "Dedicated Winter" blades.....

I like the low Profile Rain-X's, they seem to work good for us in the winter.

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
What's the big advantage of winter wiper blades?? They re covered all the way, but how does that really help much and do you really need them over standard blades in places with real winters (eg. like the NE and new england)??

The boot stops water from getting in the moving parts of the frame and freezing it into a useless shape. It also stops the blade assembly from getting packed with snow and not making even contact with the windshield.

Living in the southeast, I can't really say how useful this is. In the rare case of snow and ice, nearly everything shuts down so there's nowhere to go anyways.

The new beam style wiper blades are also another option in the winter. They look nicer, but may or may not work better depending on the windshield, quality of the wiper blade, and other factors.

hey eljefino, thanks for explaining that. I actually dealt with some Maine winters but never understood the reason for these blades. The spare blade in the trunk is a good tip.

Condomed wiper blades are great in ice and snow conditions.

Less flex? Actually, much BETTER flex due to no crud in the arms and springs.

Single beam blades? Well, a poster on this forum stated his Dad worked on wiper blade design, and single beam types were inferior for pressure .
Of course many have had good results with them. But barrring good luck, give me the old fashioned articulated type.

I've used those rubber wrapped blades before. One summer dries them out, and they tear right off. Junk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back