Winter tires, questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by edyvw
more reliable than Toyota I have parked next to it.
What non-wear item has failed on your Toyota? Other than when your 5 year old battery went dead (which shouldn't have happened in your opinion), how many times has it broken down and left you stranded?
Do you count broken plastic in the doors supporting windows, rattling dashboard, dancing side mirrors?
No, I'm not talking about rattles (I know that rattles are extremely annoying but rattles are a common problem in ALL minivans from all of the manufacturers because there is so much interior trim in them and they have items that other vehicles don't have, like power sliding doors), I'm talking about actual mechanical/electrical component failures that needed repair/replacement such as... ignition coils, fuel pump, water pump, timing chain tensioner, timing chain, intake manifold, fuse panel, A/C compressor, alternator, fuel injectors, motors, switches, oil leaks (like the rear main seal), etc. etc.
So, what component failure have you experienced on the Sienna? While you are at it, tell us which component failures you have experienced on your VW.

VW (80k): coils.
Sienna (65k): battery, vibrating rotors (replaced with aftermarket brand as I have more than enough experience with Land Cruiser and Toyota quality of brakes. So, know batter than that), tie rod ends (replaced both).
Plastic pieces+ minivan are not excuse. Mirrors are mirrors, whether they are on the minivan or car, SUV. It is not sliding doors (they are actually not making any noise) it is front driver and especially passenger doors.
Do you want lst of failures on uber, super duper Land Cruiser I have?

Hmm, maybe you should start a thread about your bad Toyota's. That's the polite thing to do, just put all of your rant there, then you don't derail someone else's thread.

Sienna (65k): battery, vibrating rotors, tie rod ends.
All normal wear items.
So you have not actually had ANY component failures in 65k miles. Other than the fact that you just hate the van (and it's rattles, and Toyota), from a reliability perspective, you don't REALLY have anything to complain about.
The vibrating rotors were your fault. You want the Sienna to drive like a sports car, and you try driving it like one, hence the warped rotors from very hard brake use in the mountains on a 5000lb+ mass-market passenger van. It is a freaking minivan for God sakes! Your expectations are WAY out-of-line. For the record, I have never had to replace warped rotors on a Sienna, mine or anyone else's. Warped rotors are common on other minivan makes.
As far as your Tiguan is concerned, you probably have the most reliable one in America... so far. But, you are now about to enter the VW danger zone because of it's age and miles. The first common problem that you have already had is the ignition coils, next up on the list of common problems that you can expect are... the water pump, one or more of the fuel pumps, the timing chain tensioner, the intake manifold, and the rear main seal (I'm not even mentioning the other oil leaks that you WILL have). Have you had the fuse panel replaced yet?

Originally Posted by supton

Hmm, maybe you should start a thread about your bad Toyota's. That's the polite thing to do, just put all of your rant there, then you don't derail someone else's thread.
I agree supton. The only reason that I keep baiting edy is to show the other readers how irrational he is. To put Toyota on the same quality level as Yugo? Really? He must be living right next door to a dispensary.

tell us which component failures you have experienced on your VW.

You lied about this edy.
In addition to the ignition coils, you have also had the intake manifold, timing chain tensioner, and HVAC fan resistor replaced (and maybe more, these are just the components that I found out about). Furthermore, you do not know what other components were replaced before you got it at 34k miles, I'll bet that the fuse panel was one of them. Now you can look forward to having the water pump, one or more of the fuel pumps, the A/C compressor, and the rear main seal replaced.
As far as credibility is concerned, IMO you don't have any.

I remember when this thread was about Winter tires, questions !

..... not about the chest thumping of car manufacturer fan boys ..... the good old days
coffee2.gif

My apologies to everyone.
I was defending the reputation of a quality product (and the product's owners) against a ridiculous, undeserved, and irrational attack. I think that I got my point across to all of the rational readers.

Sienna (65k): battery, vibrating rotors, tie rod ends.
All normal wear items.
So you have not actually had ANY component failures in 65k miles. Other than the fact that you just hate the van (and it's rattles, and Toyota), from a reliability perspective, you don't REALLY have anything to complain about.
The vibrating rotors were your fault. You want the Sienna to drive like a sports car, and you try driving it like one, hence the warped rotors from very hard brake use in the mountains on a 5000lb+ mass-market passenger van. It is a freaking minivan for God sakes! Your expectations are WAY out-of-line. For the record, I have never had to replace warped rotors on a Sienna, mine or anyone else's. Warped rotors are common on other minivan makes.
As far as your Tiguan is concerned, you probably have the most reliable one in America... so far. But, you are now about to enter the VW danger zone because of it's age and miles. The first common problem that you have already had is the ignition coils, next up on the list of common problems that you can expect are... the water pump, one or more of the fuel pumps, the timing chain tensioner, the intake manifold, and the rear main seal (I'm not even mentioning the other oil leaks that you WILL have). Have you had the fuse panel replaced yet?

In my vocabulary vibrating rotors are not normal wear. Wearing rotors yes, almost thick as new rotors that vibrate are NOT normal wear item. But I see that you agree that on Toyota that is.

tell us which component failures you have experienced on your VW.

You lied about this edy.
In addition to the ignition coils, you have also had the intake manifold, timing chain tensioner, and HVAC fan resistor replaced (and maybe more, these are just the components that I found out about). Furthermore, you do not know what other components were replaced before you got it at 34k miles, I'll bet that the fuse panel was one of them. Now you can look forward to having the water pump, one or more of the fuel pumps, the A/C compressor, and the rear main seal replaced.
As far as credibility is concerned, IMO you don't have any.

HVAC resistor is changed, which was $5 item. Intake manifold is changed under recall and tensioner I decided to change. As far as I remember tensioner was also an issue on 2GR-fe for first years.
By the way, this Sienna had AC Compressor replaced per Carfax before I was an owner at 27k under warranty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back