Winter tires, questions!

Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by Mr_Joe
The only head to head test I did was Blizzacks against Firestone Winterforce. The Blizzacks handily won, though the Firestone seem to be longer wearing. I realize there are other fine choices but Blizzacks do for me most of the time.
Firestone is owned by Bridgestone. Bridgestone will not trickle down latest technology to Firestone. Same goes for Continental and General, or Michelin and BF Goodrich etc.
 
Messages
4,257
Location
Central Maryland
Originally Posted by edyvw
I should be more specific, suspension is more stout not per se complex as that type of suspension is generally very similar across industry. The point was not to say that suspension on Venza is bad. Point is the vehicle is best suited with passenger vehicle tires. But apparently people think once you buy Toyota, anything is possible, bcs. Toyota.
Instead of just being more specific, start off trying to be more correct. And as long as you continue to spew bile and misinformation about Toyotas, expect to be called on it. Not because "Toyota", but because, misinformation.
 
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by edyvw
I should be more specific, suspension is more stout not per se complex as that type of suspension is generally very similar across industry. The point was not to say that suspension on Venza is bad. Point is the vehicle is best suited with passenger vehicle tires. But apparently people think once you buy Toyota, anything is possible, bcs. Toyota.
Instead of just being more specific, start off trying to be more correct. And as long as you continue to spew bile and misinformation about Toyotas, expect to be called on it. Not because "Toyota", but because, misinformation.
There is no misinformation. You cannot buy Toyota and expect Lexus or whatever. But as someone mentioned in another thread, Toyota fanboys are seriously insecure about their purchase. It is a microwave, you cannot make pie out of s....
 
Messages
4,257
Location
Central Maryland
UG_Passat pointed out your misinformation, well, with more detail than I did. That's why you had to correct yourself. As for insecurity... why the need to turn a thread about Winter Tires into a critique of Toyota suspensions? Oh that's right you hate yourself for your last Toyota purchase...
 
Last edited:
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by HangFire
UG_Passat pointed out your misinformation, well, with more detail than I did.
There is no misinformation there. Not only that Tiguan has stronger suspension than Camry, it has stronger than Sienna (among other parts, like brakes), which packs some extra 1,000lbs. The problem is, you like to hear confirmation of your purchase from other people, bcs. insecurity.
 
Messages
4,257
Location
Central Maryland
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by HangFire
UG_Passat pointed out your misinformation, well, with more detail than I did.
There is no misinformation there. Not only that Tiguan has stronger suspension than Camry, it has stronger than Sienna (among other parts, like brakes), which packs some extra 1,000lbs. The problem is, you like to hear confirmation of your purchase from other people, bcs. insecurity.
And "stronger" has what to do with your original assertion? And what to do with winter tires? And what does your repeated ad hominem attacks have to do with anything?
 
Last edited:
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by HangFire
UG_Passat pointed out your misinformation, well, with more detail than I did.
There is no misinformation there. Not only that Tiguan has stronger suspension than Camry, it has stronger than Sienna (among other parts, like brakes), which packs some extra 1,000lbs. The problem is, you like to hear confirmation of your purchase from other people, bcs. insecurity.
And "stronger" has what to do with your original assertion? And what to do with winter tires? And what does your repeated ad hominem attacks have to do with anything?
Did you read at all my original assertion?
 
Messages
2,406
Location
Texas
Originally Posted by HangFire
UG_Passat pointed out your misinformation, well, with more detail than I did. That's why you had to correct yourself. As for insecurity... why the need to turn a thread about Winter Tires into a critique of Toyota suspensions? Oh that's right you hate yourself for your last Toyota purchase...
Edy talks out of his you-know-what. He hates Toyota so much that he spouts-off irrational inaccurate nonsense, and he takes every opportunity to criticize and denigrate Toyota products and their owners in EVERY thread, regardless of the topic. He must work for a Toyota competitor. He claims that he owns a Sienna, I'm beginning to have doubts.
 
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by HangFire
UG_Passat pointed out your misinformation, well, with more detail than I did. That's why you had to correct yourself. As for insecurity... why the need to turn a thread about Winter Tires into a critique of Toyota suspensions? Oh that's right you hate yourself for your last Toyota purchase...
Edy talks out of his you-know-what. He hates Toyota so much that he spouts-off irrational inaccurate nonsense, and he takes every opportunity to criticize and denigrate Toyota products and their owners in EVERY thread, regardless of the topic. He must work for a Toyota competitor. He claims that he owns a Sienna, I'm beginning to have doubts.
I do own Sienna, but i do question you owned anything else. As I said, there is a reason why you retired.
 
Messages
4,257
Location
Central Maryland
Originally Posted by wdn
Volkswagen Tiguan has a reliability score of 18 out of 100 well below average.
That's OK, because the suspension is "tough" and not "designed for A/T tires".
 
Messages
2,406
Location
Texas
Originally Posted by edyvw
i do question you owned anything else. As I said, there is a reason why you retired.
I have owned vehicles from most of the manufacturers you can think of, some of them from manufacturers you have never heard of (and know nothing about), and between my family and businesses I have owned a LOT of vehicles. I am retired because I could afford to retire. I could afford to retire because I earned a lot and I don't blow my money on unreliable high cost-of-ownership vehicles. Everyday driver vehicles are a bad investment, the best that one can expect from a vehicle financially is minimum cost-of-ownership. Over the last 40 years, the Toyotas I have owned have had the lowest cost-of-ownership HANDS DOWN. I noticed that you didn't deny that you work for a Toyota competitor and I still doubt that you actually own a Toyota. Furthermore, I don't trust the opinion of someone who owned a Yugo and claims that they were good cars, all the while criticizing and denigrating Toyota products and their owners.
 
Last edited:
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by edyvw
i do question you owned anything else. As I said, there is a reason why you retired.
I have owned vehicles from most of the manufacturers you can think of, some of them from manufacturers you have never heard of (and know nothing about), and between my family and businesses I have owned a LOT of vehicles. I am retired because I could afford to retire. I could afford to retire because I earned a lot and I don't blow my money on unreliable high cost-of-ownership vehicles. Everyday driver vehicles are a bad investment, the best that one can expect from a vehicle financially is minimum cost-of-ownership. Over the last 40 years, the Toyotas I have owned have had the lowest cost-of-ownership HANDS DOWN. I noticed that you didn't deny that you work for a Toyota competitor and I still doubt that you actually own a Toyota. Furthermore, I don't trust the opinion of someone who owned a Yugo and claims that they were good cars, all the while criticizing and denigrating Toyota products and their owners.
LOL, here we go I do not blow money on high cost ownership vehicles. No, I do not work for any car manufacturer or any automotive entity any more. I have a lot of experience in Europe with testing various vehicles, for which you never heard, including various Toyota's. I owned Yugo, I owned Toyota too, and still own them. Point is, someone who never owned Yugo, clearly does not know how many similarity Toyota has with one.
 
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by wdn
Volkswagen Tiguan has a reliability score of 18 out of 100 well below average.
That's OK, because the suspension is "tough" and not "designed for A/T tires".
I am still waiting from him to tell me what kind of issues I should have on my 8 year old Tiguan. So far, more reliable than Toyota I have parked next to it.
 
Messages
2,406
Location
Texas
Originally Posted by edyvw
I owned Yugo, I owned Toyota too, and still own them. Point is, someone who never owned Yugo, clearly does not know how many similarity Toyota has with one.
As far as I am concerned comparing the quality of a Toyota with the quality of a Yugo earns you ZERO credibility in any opinion you express regarding automobile quality. I drove Yugos and I bought, repaired, and sold used ones. I'm not proud of that. They were miserable cars! The only similarities between a Toyota and a Yugo are that both of them have 4 tires, have sparkplugs, and are made of steel. Since the early seventies Toyota has manufactured a better quality product than the Yugo ever was. I think that most of the other members reading this would agree with me, ESPECIALLY anyone who has actually owned one, except you.
 
Messages
2,406
Location
Texas
Originally Posted by edyvw
more reliable than Toyota I have parked next to it.
What non-wear item has failed on your Toyota? Other than when your 5 year old battery went dead (which shouldn't have happened in your opinion), how many times has it broken down and left you stranded?
 

wdn

Messages
1,688
Location
NH
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by wdn
Volkswagen Tiguan has a reliability score of 18 out of 100 well below average.
That's OK, because the suspension is "tough" and not "designed for A/T tires".
I am still waiting from him to tell me what kind of issues I should have on my 8 year old Tiguan. So far, more reliable than Toyota I have parked next to it.
Nobody is going to tell you what will fail on your stinker of a Tiguan. It will fail however it fails. Not sure what you claim you are still waiting for either. The reliability statistic on them speaks for itself. Tiguans are a joke.
 
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by edyvw
more reliable than Toyota I have parked next to it.
What non-wear item has failed on your Toyota? Other than when your 5 year old battery went dead (which shouldn't have happened in your opinion), how many times has it broken down and left you stranded?
Of course it should not happen. I know it is normal for you Toyota drivers, but not for us VW drivers. So, should I expect being left stranded? Bcs. when I am buying vehicle that is not expectation I have. Do you count broken plastic in the doors supporting windows, rattling dashboard, dancing side mirrors? I would say at this mileage, yeah it does resemble more Yugo, than let's say, Tiguan.
 
Messages
2,406
Location
Texas
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by edyvw
more reliable than Toyota I have parked next to it.
What non-wear item has failed on your Toyota? Other than when your 5 year old battery went dead (which shouldn't have happened in your opinion), how many times has it broken down and left you stranded?
Do you count broken plastic in the doors supporting windows, rattling dashboard, dancing side mirrors?
No, I'm not talking about rattles (I know that rattles are extremely annoying but rattles are a common problem in ALL minivans from all of the manufacturers because there is so much interior trim in them and they have items that other vehicles don't have, like power sliding doors), I'm talking about actual mechanical/electrical component failures that needed repair/replacement such as... ignition coils, fuel pump, water pump, timing chain tensioner, timing chain, intake manifold, fuse panel, A/C compressor, alternator, fuel injectors, motors, switches, oil leaks (like the rear main seal), etc. etc. So, what component failure have you experienced on the Sienna? While you are at it, tell us which component failures you have experienced on your VW.
 
Top