winter rated vs snow tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seek enlightenment fellow Bitogers. I've always been curious about the difference between a dedicated winter tire like Blizzaks or X-Ice 3s vs a 3 mountain peak/Snowflake tire. For example, on my F150 Blizzaks of similar vs a BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 or similar. I understand the 3 peak/snowflake tires rubber compound stays softer in cold weather and tread pattern can grip and shed snow but, then so does the Blizzak. Is it a stopping power issue? I don't recall Tire Rack or other site giving one type the advantage over the other. They do on all season vs dedicated winter tires

I replaced a set of M/S 2s this summer with Geolander A/T GO15s this past year. The M/S 2s had more siping than the Geolanders but the Geolanders are 3 peak/Snowflake rated. Normally, I switch out during the M/S2 with a set of Blizzaks for winter but, this year I'm going to be in a non-weight bearing splint for a few months (had 4 bolts put into left ankle) and I'm not quite up to pulling them out and swapping them this year.

(BTW, the Geolanders have been awesome on dirt roads and pavement. They provided great traction and hydroplane resistance during heavy thunder storm down pours. Don't know yet about snow and ice.)

Some companies get 3MPSF for AT tires too.
AT tires thanks to tread pattern can pass snow test but it is more coincidence than design.

It is quite possible that some manufacturers do not get 3MPSF symbol for their AT tires as they want to market their winter stuff to truck folks too.

Krzys

I've never used dedicated winter tires, but rather had all seasons (some with snowflake) for the last 15 years or so.

It all depends on what conditions you're driving in. CO with snow then melt cycle, you'll probably be ok with the snowflake symbol.

You may want to have a look at this video for some demonstrations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ahrlD40so4

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Both the Blizzak and the XIce will have the "three mountain peak" rating?!?!

I stand corrected. I hobbled out to the wife's Fit which has X Ice 3s on it and the 3MP/snowflake is there...just very, very small. Still curious how the AT 3mp/sf compare to the snow tires for a similar vehicle.

The snowflake mountain just means 10% more winter traction than a weak reference tire.

Winter tires to be the best in winter have some compromises..

So no All-season or All-Terrain will match the winter performance of good winter tires.

Winter rated tires have both softer compound and more flat surface grip, work best for hard pack snow or ice where you're traveling on top of it, OR cutting through it to reach pavement. Stop, start, sideways, in every way have superior traction in those conditions.

All season, all terrain tires are superior in loose pack snow but one of the worst choices on ice. They're similar to road-only tires on hard pack snow except they'll get you out of a bind a little better when you hit the occasional patch of loose (not driven on or plowed) snow, and clog as easily so you aren't driving on two round pieces of ice.

These are only generalities, the Geolanders are a bit of a hybrid that isn't well suited to off-road traction but should be better at ice than the BFG. It seems to be the right choice unless you're going offroading in snow.

Originally Posted By: Bronco1
Thx Kuato. That vid answered my question.

Welcome! Lots of those on Youtube...

I've been running Blizaks on all my vehicles for 21 years now, and wouldn't even consider not using them it the winter, no matter what the costs. Just sold my truck with near new Blzzaks, and now I have to buy another set in the same size again. They are priceless safety wise, and a whole lot of fun to drive in the snow. The DOT always ruin the fun with salt, and made my 08 Silverado start to rust at 43 kmiles. I don't even need a 4 wheel drive truck anymore, since the salt the roads for all the vehicles running barely there all season tires. All season tires used to work great back when the widest one was only like 6 inches tread width.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Traction
I've been running Blizaks on all my vehicles for 21 years now, and wouldn't even consider not using them it the winter, no matter what the costs. Just sold my truck with near new Blzzaks, and now I have to buy another set in the same size again. They are priceless safety wise, and a whole lot of fun to drive in the snow. The DOT always ruin the fun with salt, and made my 08 Silverado start to rust at 43 kmiles. I don't even need a 4 wheel drive truck anymore, since the salt the roads for all the vehicles running barely there all season tires. All season tires used to work great back when the widest one was only like 6 inches tread width.

Yeah don't you hate it when the salt trucks are out spraying when it's 35°F and sunny, and the snow hasn't even started to fly?
crazy.gif

A/T tire is major cause of accidents here in Colorado. They move forward, but they are horrible in handling and braking in icy and snow packed roads.
The first vehicle you will see in the ditch in Colorado is JEEP with A/T tires.
Blizzak and Xi2 or 3 will have snowflake because they are true winter/snow tire.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
A/T tire is major cause of accidents here in Colorado. They move forward, but they are horrible in handling and braking in icy and snow packed roads...

I always get nervous when i see a brodozer approaching in my rear view mirror when I am waiting at a stoplight, at an icy intersection. Brodozers never use true winter tires.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I always get nervous when i see a brodozer approaching in my rear view mirror when I am waiting at a stoplight, at an icy intersection. Brodozers never use true winter tires.

The locals in my area all have "muddin" tires which are apparently useless in the snow. My BMW with Nordfrost tires does much better than they do in the snow.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: SubLGT

The locals in my area all have "muddin" tires which are apparently useless in the snow. My BMW with Nordfrost tires does much better than they do in the snow.

Oh, absolutely.

I've had brand new, skinny , mud tires on my Jeep and tried to drive it in the hard packed snow once. I thought since they were skinny, they would work.

I was very wrong. There is ZERO traction. The ones I have on now are particularly horrible. It will break traction sitting at a stoplight with the brake pedal slightly pressed. And forget about stopping, all 4 lock solid as soon as I tap the brakes.

The pickup on all terrains isn't as bad, but it's a heavily sprung, 1-ton truck that's under 6000 pounds. Still not great. Also, both have part time 4x4 systems. They work OK if you're going off road, or only want to go in a straight line. But because they lack a variable center differential, turning is not ideal.

Last 7 winters I used the Focus with snow tires. This winter I will be driving a Subaru on dedicated snow tires with 3msf symbol. The Jeep and truck will have their winter parking spots in the garage and the yard. I'll leave the winter driving to the AWD with snow tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back