Winter oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 72 LT1 corvette that has Pennzoil 15-40 oil in it now here in Illinois. I may drive it some this winter and the car is stored in a garage. Should I put a thinner oil in it for the winter and which weight?

To be honest, if you're only going to be taking the car out for the occasional pleasure cruise on a nice day, and it's always going to be kept in the garage (which is most likely going to be above 40-50F most of the time) then you could probably just stick to the same oil you use in the summertime without a problem.

cool.gif
I agree with Patman, but if you want to be safe change over to 10w-30.

15w-40 is fine for a few cold starts, as long as the temp is not below about 10 degree F

I would not use 15w-40 in a car that was driven often thou if the temps were below about 30 degrees F

quote:

Originally posted by MillerMan:
15w-40 is fine for a few cold starts, as long as the temp is not below about 10 degree F

I would not use 15w-40 in a car that was driven often thou if the temps were below about 30 degrees F

I agree with this temperature recommendation.
smile.gif

I keep 5W30 in my 1970 LT1 that I use about like yankees1, except I do not have a heated garage. I believe the more rapid flow of oil on start-up is better for longevity. I use the same weight all year round, but even in the summer I rarely drive it more than 20 miles. If my use were different I would consider a different weight in the summertime.

[ December 22, 2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: 9c1 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back