Winter oil?

I have a 72 LT1 corvette that has Pennzoil 15-40 oil in it now here in Illinois. I may drive it some this winter and the car is stored in a garage. Should I put a thinner oil in it for the winter and which weight?

Patman

Staff member
To be honest, if you're only going to be taking the car out for the occasional pleasure cruise on a nice day, and it's always going to be kept in the garage (which is most likely going to be above 40-50F most of the time) then you could probably just stick to the same oil you use in the summertime without a problem.

15w-40 is fine for a few cold starts, as long as the temp is not below about 10 degree F I would not use 15w-40 in a car that was driven often thou if the temps were below about 30 degrees F

Al

quote:
Originally posted by MillerMan: 15w-40 is fine for a few cold starts, as long as the temp is not below about 10 degree F I would not use 15w-40 in a car that was driven often thou if the temps were below about 30 degrees F
I agree with this temperature recommendation. [Smile]

9c1

I keep 5W30 in my 1970 LT1 that I use about like yankees1, except I do not have a heated garage. I believe the more rapid flow of oil on start-up is better for longevity. I use the same weight all year round, but even in the summer I rarely drive it more than 20 miles. If my use were different I would consider a different weight in the summertime. [ December 22, 2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: 9c1 ]