Winter boat storage - thoughts on reducing mildew

So my 27' sport cruiser being stored in Sussex County Delaware got shrink-wrapped due to a messed up marina work order. My choice now is to store it indoors on a rack (unheated) cutting lots of ventilation holes in the shrinkwrap and adding several 4 lb containers of Damp Rid or store it outdoors shrinkwrapped and add a few containers of Damp Rid.

Indoor storage will have temperature swings and condensation, outdoor storage has the sun hitting the shrinkwrap on nice days.

My old boat got a lot of mildew mostly in the cabin.

No electricity to run a heater or dehumidifier.

Goal is to have as least mildew as possible come spring.

Have six 4 lb containers of Damp Rid.

I would leave the wrap sealed...no holes. I've linked a product that will help keep mildew out of your boat. I've used this in my Florida home which is closed up for summer. This stuff worked but no long enough as the humidity is much greater than you will face. This stuff has a citrus smell and slowly is used up. The pouches were empty when I arrived and I had mold and mildew. There is a stronger product that is sold only in FL that will kill any insect, mold or mildew. But I don't know if it can be shipped out of FL. I would buy a bunch of these packs and put them all over the interior of your boat then seal it back up. Should work for you. The Damp-rid will help but won't last the winter.

sunpac-mildewcide

If you use the Damp Rid, are they the kind with the drain hose? I don't see the benefit of using the stuff if the collected moisture stays inside the boat.

I would leave the wrap sealed...no holes. I've linked a product that will help keep mildew out of your boat. I've used this in my Florida home which is closed up for summer. This stuff worked but no long enough as the humidity is much greater than you will face. This stuff has a citrus smell and slowly is used up. The pouches were empty when I arrived and I had mold and mildew. There is a stronger product that is sold only in FL that will kill any insect, mold or mildew. But I don't know if it can be shipped out of FL. I would buy a bunch of these packs and put them all over the interior of your boat then seal it back up. Should work for you. The Damp-rid will help but won't last the winter.

sunpac-mildewcide
Have you tried this product with good results?

Yes. I had to go to a stronger product to cover 800 sq ft. Those little packets are for putting in closets and drawers. How many sq ft. in your boat interior?

Yes. I had to go to a stronger product to cover 800 sq ft. Those little packets are for putting in closets and drawers. How many sq ft. in your boat interior?
Well 8 feet wide and 27 long would be 216 if a rectangular box. Cabin is 1/3 and cockpit 2/3.

Is this SQ feet or CU feet?

Regardless of mildew the boat will encounter temperature swings and condensation.

What is the stronger product you mention?

If the boat is indoors in an unheated area you no longer need the shrink wrap, so just but some larger holes or vents in it in the right places so dirt, dust doesnt accumulate. Hmmmmm ... and animals.

I hate mold.

If the boat is indoors in an unheated area you no longer need the shrink wrap, so just but some larger holes or vents in it in the right places so dirt, dust doesnt accumulate. Hmmmmm ... and animals.

I hate mold.
The boat shop that put the outdrive back on after it was rebuilt shrinkwrapped it due to a mixup of work orders. It was not supposed to be. But it is now. So what would be best for this winter? Again indoor unheated storage in Delaware.

The boat shop that put the outdrive back on after it was rebuilt shrinkwrapped it due to a mixup of work orders. It was not supposed to be. But it is now. So what would be best for this winter? Again indoor unheated storage in Delaware.
I think I would take indoor anytime. But that is a tough question, there are all kind of indoor. Indoor where the wind blows through? Indoor with leaks and wet ground?
If we are talking about indoor truly dry storage in a fit building I choose indoor but since the shrink wrap is on it I would leave it on and like you posted make sure its ventilated.
Now if you are talking of an option to save money but not having dry storage now that it is shrink wrapped, without question I would be happy with outdoor shrink wrapped. Sure I would make sure its vented.
I never much worried about this stuff when I spent most my life on Long Island with boats. They and those of my family where always either shrink wrapped or covered never in a sheltered area.
I guess I dont really have an answer for you except to say we always took well care of our boats and a good cleaning when the cover came off, followed up by protectant was enough. As far as the cabins, yeah I have seen some bad ones, I dont know why we never had a problem, luck? or just make sure water cant get in. I dont know.

I think I would take indoor anytime. But that is a tough question, there are all kind of indoor. Indoor where the wind blows through? Indoor with leaks and wet ground?
If we are talking about indoor truly dry storage in a fit building I choose indoor but since the shrink wrap is on it I would leave it on and like you posted make sure its ventilated.
Now if you are talking of an option to save money but not having dry storage now that it is shrink wrapped, without question I would be happy with outdoor shrink wrapped. Sure I would make sure its vented.
I never much worried about this stuff when I spent most my life on Long Island with boats. They and those of my family where always either shrink wrapped or covered never in a sheltered area.
I guess I dont really have an answer for you except to say we always took well care of our boats and a good cleaning when the cover came off, followed up by protectant was enough. As far as the cabins, yeah I have seen some bad ones, I dont know why we never had a problem, luck? or just make sure water cant get in. I dont know.
Its a pretty large and well enclosed building for 300 boats on racks. The huge door are closed at the end of November for the winter.

Its a pretty large and well enclosed building for 300 boats on racks. The huge door are closed at the end of November for the winter.
Im not sure it would make any difference in whatever you do. Personally I think dry storage in a building is best but honestly I never have and if I did, it would be more to keep the boat out of the suns damaging rays. Since its shrink wrapped that isnt a concern either.
Is the indoor storage free? If so, why not? I dont see harm

Honestly do not think there is a magic answer, if there is no cost I would go indoor, if it stays outdoor there should be a vent or two in the shrink-wrap or sometimes you can just vent it near the swim platform, wouldnt matter if the platform gets wet. Not sure if you have a transom door, you could leave that open.
I never thought about it much so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.
I do and always have, spray all electrical connections behind the helm, engine compartment ect. Most times it was Mercury Corrosion Guard. Now that I am in fresh water not as much.

Back