Winter blend oil? Wut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
It's only a syn blend at that, LOL,,marketing for the fools that believe it,there trying to cash in the this years cold winter.

Look at the date on the PDS, though.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Was this stuff was discontinued years ago?

Not sure, but at the very least, it would be extremely hard to find. A long time ago, Canadian Tire had pictures of it still above their oil, but none actually in stock. I never see it mentioned in their ads, either. If I could somehow come across a bottle, I'd take a look at the UPC and compare it to the "current" QSED, Defy.

I haven't seen this stuff for at least 5 years probably closer to 7. Back then it had some decent cold flow properties, alas it was a marketing ploy that had oil being poured on a piston at certain temp for effect. Good ol CDN tire.

Last edited:
201VI 5w30 blend was probably a big deal back then.

Most drivers out there still have no concept of the SAE Grading system, and probably have no idea what the implications of poor cold temperature properties are to an engine. Funny little demos and blue plastic packaging does get them thinking about it !

Of course, today's industry standards have mandated that low viscosity performance be built into the product, so the 'problem' is taken care of by default via specifications and the evolution of chemistry/economies ofscale. If someone tried a "winter oil" today, that would truly be shameful peddling that would be tantamount to those early-2000 PC salesmen upselling an audio card to a customer that already has it built-in to their mainboard.

Interesting, I was on QS's website not two weeks ago and this wasn't listed as one of their offerings. For a synblend, it's not remarkably thin at cold temperatures. Valvoline Durablend 5w-20 is thinner...

I saw Quaker State winter oil around the year 2000. It was a 0w30, but not full synthetic. I always thought that oil would have compromised high temperature performance because of that.

I guess the reason I saw it back then was because passing API tests was much easier then it is now.

Originally Posted By: Garak
And yes, a 5w-XX is a winter oil (I call it an all season oil).

Make a bold statement then contradict it in the same sentence. Love it.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
And yes, a 5w-XX is a winter oil (I call it an all season oil).

Huh?
How is it a contradiction?
And are you implying he's incorrect?
I'm using a 5w-20 in my car right now and it'll start til -30 without being plugged in without any funny noises

Not at all. Back in the day when 10w-30 was used more commonly, 5w-30 was often used in the winter as a winter oil. There are many examples of oil selection charts posted here that show just that. I just stick with a 5w-XX all year, and have for a very long time, with few exceptions.

Back in the day

exactly, back in the day 5W-30 was a winter oil. Living in the past, man.

The "W" in 5W-30 denotes winter, so I don't see how he's living in the past anymore than you are living in Neverland?
21.gif

Changing by seasons is something I avoided as early and as often as I could; that is living in the past. I was using 5w-30 in engines year round long, long before it was accepted practice.

When this oil was being heavily marketed by Canadian Tire, I was already running 5w-30 in the summer and winter and had been since the late 1980s in my personal vehicles. So, why would i switch to a more expensive variety of 5w-30 in the winter?

Changing by seasons is something I avoided as early and as often as I could; that is living in the past. I was using 5w-30 in engines year round long, long before it was accepted practice.

When this oil was being heavily marketed by Canadian Tire, I was already running 5w-30 in the summer and winter and had been since the late 1980s in my personal vehicles. So, why would i switch to a more expensive variety of 5w-30 in the winter?

Do you remember seeing the petro-Canada 0w-30 "winter oil". It was in a light blue container iirc with snowflakes on the label.
I ran across one at the petro Canada on 22nd street a few blocks from my parents house.
I giggled,out loud,for a while.

Yep, I saw that, too. Now, they just have the 0w-30 as a "normal" oil, which one can't find at the station anyhow, only at the distributor. They still have the stupid snowflakes label on the gas pumps in the winter though, advertising their winter fuel, as if we needed to be reminded.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back