Winter Air in Tires,?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read recently that with Winter coming that we should let out the warm summer air from our tires and put in cold Winter air into our tires... Is this true..??

The local place where I get my air doesn't speculate which air is the Summer air and which air is the Winter air...

Do you go to a special place to get your Winter air for your tires or do you risk keeping the warm Summer air in your tires even in the cold Winter months..??

Also , does the colder Winter air cost more than the warmer Summer air for tires..?

Uh?? stop posting after drinking?
or maybe you misposted and you were trying to put this in the humor section?

Originally Posted By: [censored
]I've read recently that with Winter coming that we should let out the warm summer air from our tires and put in cold Winter air into our tires... Is this true..??

The local place where I get my air doesn't speculate which air is the Summer air and which air is the Winter air...

Do you go to a special place to get your Winter air for your tires or do you risk keeping the warm Summer air in your tires even in the cold Winter months..??

Also , does the colder Winter air cost more than the warmer Summer air for tires..?

Actually, you'll want to keep that summer air in your tires for a number of reasons.

1. The warm air will function nicely to melt the snow and ice on most driving surfaces enabling you to obtain better traction, (be wary however of driving on a frozen river or lake).

2. Releasing summer air into a winter environment has been proven to contribute to global warming. Do your part and keep that summer air sequestered.

3. As is commonly know, heat rises. Having that summer air in your tires during the winter will cause your car to ride higher and travel lighter thus increasing MPG.

Don't be fooled if anyone tells you to drain that precious summer air and replace with winter air, they're only after your money.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Actually, you'll want to keep that summer air in your tires for a number of reasons.

1. The warm air will function nicely to melt the snow and ice on most driving surfaces enabling you to obtain better traction, (be wary however of driving on a frozen river or lake).

2. Releasing summer air into a winter environment has been proven to contribute to global warming. Do your part and keep that summer air sequestered.

3. As is commonly know, heat rises. Having that summer air in your tires during the winter will cause your car to ride higher and travel lighter thus increasing MPG.

Don't be fooled if anyone tells you to drain that precious summer air and replace with winter air, they're only after your money.

I agree and thank you....

I did a search and not too far from me is a place that has 2 Air Pumps....
The Summer Air is $.75 Cents for 1 minute of Summer warm air,,and yet the Cold Winter Air pump is $1.25 for 1 minute of Cold Winter air...

How come the colder Winter air costs more than the warmer Summer air..?

Actually, per volume, they are the same price. Winter air has more density than summer air, (the reason you can see it when you breath as air particles are floating in chunks rather than spots - hence the expression of "blowing chunks").

Actually, per volume, they are the same price. Winter air has more density than summer air, (the reason you can see it when you breath as air particles are floating in chunks rather than spots - hence the expression of "blowing chunks").

Now I'm starting to understand this car stuff..... Do I need to replace the windsheild washer fluid to a more robust winter blend as well..??

SHift_d2dce6_1971558.jpg

Don't forget to squirt a little oil on the muffler bearings. Don't want those to seize over the cold winter. Not a bad idea to change the blinker fluid too while you are doing your routine maintenance.

Believe it or not but when I pulled wrenches years back we had one old customer come to the garage for his spring service and insisted we let the air out of the tires and refill with fresh air . Charged him $10 to do it and he was happy .
Was no point in trying to tell him it otherwise .

I noticed my low tire pressure light on the other day. So I knew it was time to deflate and refill. DIY right here in the driveway so it didn't cost me a thing. Car runs so much smoother now and I've noticed about +2 mpg. I think I'll change it out sooner next year.

Before any automotive newbies read this and get totally confused, the only thing to be cautious about this time of year is that tire pressures fall as temperatures fall. Keep an eye on your cold tire pressure and make sure it corresponds to the vehicle's placard. Even if your tire doesn't lose any noticeable pressure through leakage, you're going to have a significant difference between readings at +35C and -35C.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Are you referring to the nitrogen fill? That does have certain benefits.

Especially to the owner of the nitrogen equipment who's selling the service.
wink.gif
In fairness, I know that garages in the States are being nicer to customers who have nitrogen fill. Up here, they want to charge everyone when they need a top up. Apparently, this applies even in some cases where someone actually bought the tires there.

To make matters even more complicated, some shops also carry Spring air and Autumn air. However, if you really love your car, you should be completely draining your tires of air at every other fill-up. The air inside your tires goes stale after just a few hundred miles. It gets infused with the all so unpleasant rubber smell which can be offensive. In extreme cases, the tires will refuse to turn until they are given fresh air.

Originally Posted By: [censored]
Now I'm starting to understand this car stuff..... Do I need to replace the windsheild washer fluid to a more robust winter blend as well..??

Actually this is true. The winter stuff I use for vehicles that stay outside get the "de-icer" stuff which has more alcohol in it. In reality I use the de-icer stuff year round. Its $1 more than the cheap blue stuff.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Perhaps that could be avoided by having Febreeze or something pumped in with the air.
wink.gif

Yes, I've heard some had good luck with it. Alternatively, just dismount the tires and stuff a few Bounce clothes drying sheets in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back