Winter...5w40 Rotella T6 for miata and motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy--got a bit of an oil question here... which oil to run in approximately 20F weather in NY. I'm wondering if i can put the same rotella in my car and motorcycle (would be nice right!?)

I've been running mobil 1 0w40 in my '94 miata. Just changed it and probably won't have to change it for the rest of the winter. Manufacturer calls for 10w40, but it's 25 degrees out here in NYC. I expect 15F to be the lowest it sees.

I've been running mobil 1 10w40 motorcycle oil in my 1980 honda c70, but just put valvoline conventional 10w40 in it and it feels terrible. The shifting is clunkier and it feels REALLY thick when it is cold. The bike is air-cooled and calls for 10w40 in the summer and 10w30 in the winter, although the graphic in the manual says either is acceptable down to -10F. I am not planning to ride below 15F. The bike has a wet clutch. Since it is aircooled it doesn't get as hot in the wintertime.

Can I run 5w40 Rotella in both? It would be nice to have one big can for both of them...

Any advice much appreciated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crowned

Can I run 5w40 Rotella in both? It would be nice to have one big can for both of them...

I would stick to an automotive oil for the Miata, the Mobil1 0W-40 synthetic is what I would use.
Should you? I don't know what you should do.

In one of my bikes (Honda), I'm running the Rotella 5w-40. Although some winters can get into the teens, I don't ride when its that cold. I have ridden when it was around 30, maybe a couple times in the upper 20s. The bike seems fine,mine is water cooled. I have never had any shift or clutch (wet clutch) problems. I kept the Rotella 5w-40 in it for both winter & summer.
On my Harley I'm, using Amsoil 20w-50,and even when the temps get 50 outside, I have a difficult time getting it warmed up. Actually the engine oil temp I feel is to cold. Its not easy to get the temp above 175, takes a bit of riding just to get it between 150-175.

You'll be fine with using T6 in both.

But you're missing the underlying question: do you "need" synthetics at all, or do you just "want" them?

Your OCIs are likely not long enough to get anywhere near the "need" for synthetics. So, you could use a quality dino oil specific for each application, save a lot of money, and still get great wear protection.

Last edited:
I've run Amsoil 10W-40 syn and Rotella 5W-40 in my Honda V-Twin 1000, and the Rotella definetly started easier in the cold, and had less clutch "drag" when cold compared to the Amsoil as well.

By "drag" I mean with the clutch in, cold, in first gear, with the Amsoil it would almost move the bike forward just from fluid fiction bewteen the plates and steels. No such phenomenon with the Rotella T6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back