Wine making 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on what you eat it with. Many wines don't taste good on their own, but combine them with certain types of foods and they take on an entirely different flavor.

Quote:

Charles Shaw is < $4.00/bottle at Trader Joe's, and tastes better than many higher priced wines on the market.
wink.gif

Actually, you must have a lot of time on your hands to consider backyard wine brewing.
grin.gif

When did 2 Buck Chuck start costing more than 2 Bucks?

I envy the guy that can't tell the difference between 2 Buck Chuck and a crafted Burgundy or Cabernet. That's not a backhanded compliment, I really wish I only liked the cheap stuff.

I had a 97 Harrison Cab a few nights ago. It finally mellowed to absolute gold.
wine2.gif

Quote:

Depends on what you eat it with. Many wines don't taste good on their own, but combine them with certain types of foods and they take on an entirely different flavor.

Cabernet and Chocolate is my wifes favorite food/wine paring (big surprise - a woman who likes chocolate). It's got to be dark chocolate though. Whole Foods has got some dark chocolate "sticks" that are simple and have just enough sugar.

I still like a good cheese with my wine. Stuff from the French Basque Astara is one of my favorites. Good goat cheese. There is some good American made stuff out there but it is harder to fine. American's can make good cheeses if they want to, they just don't seem to want to. Maybe that will change. Oh and some Canadian Calabrese.... good spiceyness with a fruity wine.

Sauvignon Blanc seems to be my fav, with anything.

I don't pair it with squat, if it tastes good then it tastes good with anything...it's either good or not, I don't need to add something to make it good.

Quote:

Sauvignon Blanc seems to be my fav, with anything.

I don't pair it with squat, if it tastes good then it tastes good with anything...it's either good or not, I don't need to add something to make it good.

That's not true, especially with wine. Drinking wine with food blends the flavors together. What may taste good with a spicy Asian dish may not go well with pasta.

Hearty foods should be paired with a hearty wine. Pairing a light bodied wine with a hearty food can make the otherwise excellent wine taste bland. The opposite is true with pairing light foods and a full bodied wine. The wine will overwhelm the flavor of the food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back