Woman survives on candy and wine after being lost in the wilderness for 5 days: Police

Depends on where in Australia. However, Australia is packed with all matter of things that can kill people. Mostly snakes and spiders. Way more dangerous than similar possibilities in the United States or Canada.

reading the article helps.. she was driving a car.

344865683_578485417718070_8813496882500496664_n.jpg
I did read it. I didn't mean to say hiking as on foot. My error.

Last edited:
I watched the video. I'm not being mean, but this woman had plenty of extra calories to burn. She wasn't in true danger, though water would've been better.

No it wouldn't! That would take all the fun out of it.

That said, I don't think being overweight helps you any in the Australian outback. Pretty much everything is trying to kill you. Speed and reflexes are a plus. Wine makes you slow but also not care, so....

That said, I don't think being overweight helps you any in the Australian outback. Pretty much everything is trying to kill you. Speed and reflexes are a plus. Wine makes you slow but also not care, so....
An obese person may take longer to starve but they will also need more water and if they strain themselves they will burn their spare reserves faster than a thinner person would. In a survival situation, you would want to be in very good physical shape with neither too low nor too high body fat. In my opinion, a few extra pounds could be beneficial, especially if your emergency situation is in a cold place.

How long can you go without scruffy rice, egg rolls, and beer/soda,@AutoMechanic ? Half a day? 😛

I don't think it was in the outback. It's a lot more like the temperate lowlands you'd find in California or Oregon. And she apparently got her car stuck in the mud.

A lot of the reporting seems inconsistent though, claiming she was about 40 miles/60 km from the nearest town. But what I read was that she was at the end of Yankee Point Track which ends near Lake Dartmouth (she was trying to reach the dam which was on a different road), and where there are creeks everywhere with water. She wasn't in the desert. It looks more like she might have been about 25 miles (driving) from Mitta Mitta.

I've heard rescuers often find lost people with full bottles of water in the desert. I guess they tried to ration the water and then went delirious. I guess it's another story with wine.

Back