Wine aging cheap wines

I went through a wine phase years ago and my favorite wine is Carlos Rossi Chianti. I have an unopened jug of it which has been stored in a dark basement since I moved into my home in 2017.
I have family coming over on the 4th of July and would like to serve this wine. I'm unsure if it will be good or not. Thoughts?

As long as the basement was cool, like under 50 degrees, you have a chance of it being good. I stored a few bottles for 3 years in my wine rack, but they were bad when opened. Too warm (like 70 deg. I figure.

I'd have a backup plan!
smile.gif

Though I'm far from being a wine expert, I understand that acid and tannin in wine result in maturation, and are used up in the process. When a wine runs out of either, it starts to deteriorate. Less expensive wines don't tend to have a lot of either one, so they don't mature well.

Even good wines can be held for too long. I had several cases of moderately good French wine from one of the better years. I held them too long and they were past their prime when we finally drank them. They weren't "bad", just not as good as they would have been if drunk in their prime.

Yikes, I would not go there. Unless you have a brother-in-law that you can't stand . Checkout Breaking Bad season 4 episode 10 when Gus poisons the cartel. Salud!

The wine might be OK. It's red wine so let it aerate for a few hours to remove the harshness of a red wine. I'm not familiar with that maker but a lot of cheap wines are oxigenated to make them taste good. After a glass, it doesn't matter anyway.

Three years in a cool basement would not have harmed the wine. If it was stored on a hot fridge for three years, it would be a different story. Not everyone likes aged wines, though. Most people in the US are used to fresh, fruity wines.

Originally Posted by Trav
Might as well age Chateau Aldi.

Best line in a while...thanks
thumbsup2.gif

"Yes to that. That is best drunk in the liquor store parking lot. It's downhill from that point."

Second best, you two gave me a good laugh on a crappy day.

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
Spend the money on a new jug. I do wine storage for a living, and that wine is NOT built for aging.

A "good" friend just gifted me a gallon of his home made cherry wine made in 1968
crazy2.gif

What should I expect during the taste test?

My initial thought was I would not serve family that wine.

But more seriously, this wine is a "pounder" and is meant to drink immediately. Aging will not make it any better.

Go get a solid boxed wine in the $15 - $20 range for the family. A lot of great options.

I had to go and Google what Carlos Rossi Chianti is after all the comments.

OP, get a proper wine. Go to Trader Joe's or nearest wine shop and get an Italian red wine for 10-15 bucks.

Use the Carlos Rossi Chianti to cook if you can drink it.

Originally Posted by Trav
Might as well age Chateau Aldi.

It actually is Chateau Aldi. Both Carlos Rossi and Winking Owl at Aldi are Gallo Winery products

Good heavens man, excellent blends can be bought at a major grocer chain for under $10. I'm currently mowing through a case of Gnarly Head 1924 I got at Fry's (Kroger) for less than $8 when buying it by the case.

Expensive wines are so, because they get better with aging (high tannins). Most wines will degrade after a short period in the bottle. Not to say they're not good, but there's no quality gain in storing them.
Lot's of good wines in the $10-20 range in any supermarket or liquor store.

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Expensive wines are so, because they get better with aging (high tannins). Most wines will degrade after a short period in the bottle. Not to say they're not good, but there's no quality gain in storing them.
Lot's of good wines in the $10-20 range in any supermarket or liquor store.

OP isn't hoping for a quality gain. He's hoping it's still drinkable after a couple years in the basement.

I tasted this wine once. Wife and I were down in South Philly for dinner and arrived early to ensure we found parking. We went to a local bar before dinner. It's didn't look that bad on the outside. But on the inside... Man. What a dive. My wife is a classy chick and stands out in places like this. She can't blend in with her clear skin and bright eyes. We overhear a guy talking loudly on the phone wondering how long it will take to get his bail money back after his court appearance. Another guy at the bar says we should come back later that night after 8 pm because that's when the go-go dancers take the stage. I order a beer and wife orders a class of red wine. The bartender says we'll have open a new bottle and pulls this big jug of Rossi. Oh, it's nothing like the Barefoot Cabernet that we usually drink.

Back