Windshield rust = scrap the whole vehicle?

Oh man that hadda be a sight! LOL

Glad you got this resolved.

I've heard and personally seen enough horrific things caused by Safelite that I would never use them.

They did an acid wash and I think most of the modern primers for windshield prep have rust-inhibiting properties anyway, at least from what I have been told. The shop I took it to has a lot of experience working with rusted vehicles for glass replacement.

Seeing as how it was an 18 year old, 220,000 mile windshield (flare was BAD in the sun from age) the amount of rust in terms of depth was minimal. I think I could possibly go through another windshield in a few years and still have enough solid metal left to do it.

I doubt many will actually read the whole thread before replying, BUT GOOD NEWS!

I took it into the shop today, wearing a full-face MTB helmet and snowboarding goggles. Had to rush a 20 mile drive between rain showers. They were supposed to get back to me by the end of today to let me know if the rust is too bad to work on.
You drove 20 miles in inclement rain with no windshield?

You drove 20 miles in inclement rain with no windshield?
Had a little drizzle, but nothing bad. Radar showed a break in the showers, so I sprinted. Had towels covering stuff and taped up the air ducts in the dash. Was actually kind of fun driving with the wind in my face. LOL

Had a little drizzle, but nothing bad. Radar showed a break in the showers, so I sprinted. Had towels covering stuff and taped up the air ducts in the dash. Was actually kind of fun driving with the wind in my face. LOL

That is actually illegal.

Bloody hell. Did you even read what you linked to? I had a full face helmet with goggles and windshield wipers. Please point to any part of a law that I didn't understand?

"(1) All motor vehicles operated on the public highways of this state shall be equipped with a front windshield manufactured of safety glazing materials for use in motor vehicles in accordance with RCW 46.37.430, --except, however,-- on such vehicles not so equipped or where windshields are not in use, the operators of such vehicles shall wear glasses, goggles, or face shields pursuant to RCW 46.37.530(1)(b)."

You should consider what constitutes a motor vehicle in most states. A motorcycle is a motor vehicle.

If a particular motor vehicle is equipped with a windshield then one must be in place and be unobstructed.

You should consider what constitutes a motor vehicle in most states. A motorcycle is a motor vehicle.

If a particular motor vehicle is equipped with a windshield then one must be in place and be unobstructed.
You are making an assumption (falsely). Even if it was illegal, no harm came to anyone other than potentially myself.

I appreciate that you are trying to call out something here, but you are spreading misinformation.

"where windshields are not in use,"

This also pertains to off-road vehicles driving on-road with the removable windshields. They can be driven without a windshield if eye protection is used. There are also classic vehicles where the windshield can be laid down flat on the hood while driving.

I was told by two different auto glass shops the law was the way I have interpreted it, and on top of that, I had two State Troopers pass me on the road, giving a quick strange look at the goofy guy driving with a helmet on, but not pulled over. This is in an area where they will pull anyone over for even the most "frivolous" infraction.

Also this. https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/traffic/article68369902.html

"We sought guidance from Washington State Patrol trooper Todd Bartolac, who fell back on the old “common sense” argument.
“I don’t think that if you don’t have a windshield, you’re going to get pulled over for not having wipers,” Bartolac told us. “As long as they have eye protection, they don’t have anything to worry about.”

Bloody hell. Did you even read what you linked to? I had a full face helmet with goggles and windshield wipers. Please point to any part of a law that I didn't understand?

"(1) All motor vehicles operated on the public highways of this state shall be equipped with a front windshield manufactured of safety glazing materials for use in motor vehicles in accordance with RCW 46.37.430, --except, however,-- on such vehicles not so equipped or where windshields are not in use, the operators of such vehicles shall wear glasses, goggles, or face shields pursuant to RCW 46.37.530(1)(b)."
Hate to break it to you bud, but your van came equipped with a windshield so you in fact did break a law. Honestly, in all my life I have never seen someone drive a car without a windshield on public highways so this is a first for me. It’s kinda like seatbelt laws. If you removed the seat belts from your car can you claim your car is no longer “equipped” with them. No.

We’ve gone off topic now.

Where there really not any signs of rust around the windshield before they took it out ? Pretty crazy that kind of rust could not be seen with the windscreen in ?

Where there really not any signs of rust around the windshield before they took it out ? Pretty crazy that kind of rust could not be seen with the windscreen in ?
With the rubber gasket molding stuff on there, no, it could not be seen. Even with that out, I don't think it could be seen until the window was peeled off. The rest of the van is pretty much in perfect order in terms of being rust free. I swapped the rear shocks, which had at least 100,000 miles on them and the bolts popped right off with no breaker bar or lube.

My only issue with this whole thing is that the glass shop used a sort of crummy grade windshield. It's no big deal though, since they were the only shop in town willing to touch the rust, and the price was pretty cheap.

With the rubber gasket molding stuff on there, no, it could not be seen. Even with that out, I don't think it could be seen until the window was peeled off. The rest of the van is pretty much in perfect order in terms of being rust free. I swapped the rear shocks, which had at least 100,000 miles on them and the bolts popped right off with no breaker bar or lube.

My only issue with this whole thing is that the glass shop used a sort of crummy grade windshield. It's no big deal though, since they were the only shop in town willing to touch the rust, and the price was pretty cheap.
Nice you got it fixed. How was the windshield frame up by the roof? Do you have any idea why it is so badly rustet ? A poor windshield job earlier?

Some of you need to relax. He did it, it’s done. He doesn‘t need your approval to take a calculated risk. I would have done the same thing if the place was a few miles away.

Nice you got it fixed. How was the windshield frame up by the roof? Do you have any idea why it is so badly rustet ? A poor windshield job earlier?
Rust along the roof and passenger side A pillar. Driver side and bottom were rust free. The windshield was the original, OEM, put in nearly 20 years ago. It's a known issue with these years of vans due to how water is allowed to leak in, and it might also have something to do with Toyota not installing them with enough urethane. Not sure.

Back