Windshield damage. Can this be repaired?

Sorry. Not a glass expert. Hate to have a windshield replaced on a car with 8700 miles, so looking to see if you think this can be repaired? Thank you!
780D4026-B206-4D93-A140-EC4B150FFD88.jpeg

It can likely be fixed, but small edge cracks may still be visible, and I don’t like to have a repair done in the normal (straight ahead) field of vision-there tends to be distortion at the repair. My Transit has a repair somewhat similar, just 2 cracks starting to radiate, and they’re visible, but not getting worse (down at the base of the windshield).

Had that on two different cars. Go the do it yourself Prestone at Advance Auto. $15.
Fixed one so you can’t even see it.
Fixed other car, not perfect, but you can only see it if you know where to look.

Warning. Follow instructions EXACTLY, even if it sounds wrong.

If chip is in center of windshield, it is very difficult to get the template centered exactly over the chip. If you can’t center yourself directly over the chip, put a blanket on the hood and lay on it do you can see directly over the chip.

Much easier to fix if chip closer to edge of windshield.

Wife's 2019 Charger SXT, about 6 months old got chip right behind the rear view mirror. I have ERIE insurance, they said $100 deduct to replace or $0 to fix chip. Since it was completely out of sight I got it fixed. Unless you know exactly where the chip was, you can't see it. It had a 1.25" side to side crack from center of chip. Those glass shops can do amazing things. Is the chip in your field of vision?

Had that on two different cars. Go the do it yourself Prestone at Advance Auto. $15.
Fixed one so you can’t even see it.
Fixed other car, not perfect, but you can only see it if you know where to look.

Warning. Follow instructions EXACTLY, even if it sounds wrong.

If chip is in center of windshield, it is very difficult to get the template centered exactly over the chip. If you can’t center yourself directly over the chip, put a blanket on the hood and lay on it do you can see directly over the chip.

Much easier to fix if chip closer to edge of windshield.
I had someone sit in my truck and look at where I placed the tool. They told me which direction to move it to be in exact center. I used the RAIN-X kit. I bought it at WM for $9 and change.
When I had full coverage insurance I had SAFELITE come to my house and fix a chip about the size of a dime. You never could tall where it was after the repair.

Definitely get it fixed.

Had the original windshield replaced on my Genesis a year ago. Used a good company I've used many times before, but it just isn't the same, even with it being OEM glass. :cry:

^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^
Get it repaired quickly! Fluctuating temperatures will cause the cracks to run/travel.
Been there, done that, several times.
Yep, bring by your favorite glass shop ASAP. As long as it's not in the line of sight of the new sensor lane assist cameras and stuff or driver's vision they should try to repair and if it's still or doesn't work they'll put that fee toward a new windshield. At least that's what shops I've worked with will do.

Around here no one will fix a crack anymore

Used to be places that would do a crack clear across if you waived the warranty

Bleh will have to try and drill and fill myself

Back